First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Occupation
retired
I’ve had my R1T for over a year and recently added an R1S for my wife. I’ve used the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet on both vehicles and it works perfectly. Last week I changed the circuit out for a Rivian wall charger and 60amp breaker. It charges fine except that it stops about 2% before fully charged. So if the vehicle is set for 70% charge it stops at 68%. Same thing happens with both vehicles. Also, while losing the expected 1-2% vampire drain overnight the vehicle just keeps sleeping and doesn’t recover the loss unless I actively start a new charge session again. When connected to the mobile charger the vehicle would wake on its own and start charging back to the set level. Is this normal wall charger behavior or possibly an issue with mine?
Sponsored

SilverII

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

While not consistent, I get 68%-72% when it stops. Its not a big deal for me

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

When are you checking? SoC can vary based on pack temperature (usable energy especially). If you're checking immediately after it is finished charging and it doesn't hit the setpoint, then there is something weird happening. If it's the next morning, it's likely just because the temperature in the pack has settled to ambient, and there literally is not quite as much energy available as when it stopped, strictly because of the difference in chemical efficiency due to temperature.

Last edited:
OP
OP

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
I have checked it both immediately after charging and the next morning. Same result with both, although the next morning could be even lower due to vampire loss. I probably wouldn’t be as concerned if it fluctuated from 68-72% like Silverll but mine always stops 2% low. Plus it doesn’t seem to restart on its own to recover vampire loss like the mobile charger did. I have to initiate the charge process.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Mine did this exact thing for the first time yesterday. Stopped 2% before the target. Adjusted the target up and it restarted but stopped 2% short again.

TexasCrane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep, Subaru, R1T
This started with the last update for me. I’ve been seeing the exact same behavior on my r1t.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
This started with the last update for me. I’ve been seeing the exact same behavior on my r1t.
Same! I’m seeing it stop about 2% before 80%. I had this issue once before and just reset the breaker to the charger and the issue was gone.

Traveler944

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022
I’ve had my R1T for over a year and recently added an R1S for my wife. I’ve used the mobile charger with a NEMA 14-50 outlet on both vehicles and it works perfectly. Last week I changed the circuit out for a Rivian wall charger and 60amp breaker. It charges fine except that it stops about 2% before fully charged. So if the vehicle is set for 70% charge it stops at 68%. Same thing happens with both vehicles. Also, while losing the expected 1-2% vampire drain overnight the vehicle just keeps sleeping and doesn’t recover the loss unless I actively start a new charge session again. When connected to the mobile charger the vehicle would wake on its own and start charging back to the set level. Is this normal wall charger behavior or possibly an issue with mine?
Any update on getting this problem resolved? I started having the same problem recently after having used a Rivian wall charger on my R1T for about one year. I updated to R1T software version 2023.42.01 and that didn't help. When I called Rivian Service Center they didn't seem to know what causes this problem. Thank you

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I'm having the same issue as well now. Have had my Rivian charger for almost 2 years. I also am having to reset the breaker on my charger about every other charge or it just fails to start or just says starting but never does.

Sponsored

OP
OP

FL_EV

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Any update on getting this problem resolved? I started having the same problem recently after having used a Rivian wall charger on my R1T for about one year. I updated to R1T software version 2023.42.01 and that didn't help. When I called Rivian Service Center they didn't seem to know what causes this problem. Thank you
Rivian is just ignoring the issue. While they are obviously aware of multiple owner issues my tickets just die once they are forwarded to the “Charging Team”. I get an email that my concern has been forwarded to them and someone will contact me but I get crickets.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
.46 that is deploying now is supposed to address this issue
Sponsored