Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’ve posted before on here that I ordered a vw id4 for an EV to drive until my Rivian gets here. I ordered it the same day as the Rivian. My plan was to get the vw in the summer and drive it until the R1T comes in then my wife wants it instead of her rav4. The Rivian was initially 1h23 and the vw was June 22. In march I got 1 email from vw saying it might be delayed, and then 1 in august raising the msrp and to lock my configuration. By August used car prices started to dip so we sold the rav4 and went to one car. As of right now I have a delivery window for the R1T of feb/march 23 and Jan-June 23 for the id4. Yesterday I received an email from vw that raised the price a second time since I ordered (both price increases came after June). Never got a single email that my delivery window changed, the only way to know is to login to my account and check my configuration page and it said June 22 until about a month ago. 🤬🤬🤬 I don’t know if I even want the id4 now as it’s cost is now comparable to many others on the market.

Who knew how preposterous the automotive buying experience was going to get. Rant over.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
I’ve posted before on here that I ordered a vw id4 for an EV to drive until my Rivian gets here. I ordered it the same day as the Rivian. My plan was to get the vw in the summer and drive it until the R1T comes in then my wife wants it instead of her rav4. The Rivian was initially 1h23 and the vw was June 22. In march I got 1 email from vw saying it might be delayed, and then 1 in august raising the msrp and to lock my configuration. By August used car prices started to dip so we sold the rav4 and went to one car. As of right now I have a delivery window for the R1T of feb/march 23 and Jan-June 23 for the id4. Yesterday I received an email from vw that raised the price a second time since I ordered (both price increases came after June). Never got a single email that my delivery window changed, the only way to know is to login to my account and check my configuration page and it said June 22 until about a month ago. 🤬🤬🤬 I don’t know if I even want the id4 now as it’s cost is now comparable to many others on the market.

Who knew how preposterous the automotive buying experience was going to get. Rant over.
Not sure if you are familiar with Kyle from Out of Spec. but his local VW dealership in Colorado Springs appears to be selling ID4's like hotcakes with stock on hand. Maybe just go there and buy one.
For what it's worth I think Rivian has done arguably better or at least no worse than any other manufacturer launching any new EV. Now let's hope $RIVN quadruples in price so I can recoup my losses but that is a story for another thread.

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

Hyundai's treatment of preorders for the Ioniq 5 make Rivian look GOATED. VW's as you say are worse. Ford's been doing a terrible job - a friend and I had a preorder for both a Maverick and a Lightning and both somehow got lost in the mail.

Yeah, Rivian's communications and business decisions aren't optimal sometimes but I think people forget that the bar is really not that high for automakers, and Rivian's way above average.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Not sure if you are familiar with Kyle from Out of Spec. but his local VW dealership in Colorado Springs appears to be selling ID4's like hotcakes with stock on hand. Maybe just go there and buy one.
For what it's worth I think Rivian has done arguably better or at least no worse than any other manufacturer launching any new EV. Now let's hope $RIVN quadruples in price so I can recoup my losses but that is a story for another thread.
Just make sure to tell them Cut-the-Line Kyle sent you and that you expect special treatment but NOT because you are a Youtube influencer. I'd hate for you to go all the way to Colorado and be turned away because you are a sucker who follows the rules.
Sponsored

Last edited: