Vinyl Wrap Thoughts

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Love the matte black Rivian that was driving around in LA. Would love to do matte black with green interior. Called my local vinyl wrap shop and this was the info I was given. $3,500 to fully wrap a truck the size of a Tacoma, comes with a 3 year warranty and the guy said wraps like that will last 4-5 years before needing to be redone.

Anyone else have any experience in this area? Does that seem like a good price? Based on the pricing I'm not sure its really worth it especially since the green interior is more money.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Honestly, if you're able to spend that kind of money wrapping the vehicle, then I'd spend it on a clear protective film to preserve paint and absorb (minor) scrapes & scratches from road debris and off-road brush. The high-end "self-healing" films probably run that price range and its a wise investment rather than just for looks.

Green interior would look sharp with El-Cap Granite. close enough to what you're look for I'd say

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Honestly, if you're able to spend that kind of money wrapping the vehicle, then I'd spend it on a clear protective film to preserve paint and absorb (minor) scrapes & scratches from road debris and off-road brush. The high-end "self-healing" films probably run that price range and its a wise investment rather than just for looks.

Green interior would look sharp with El-Cap Granite. close enough to what you're look for I'd say
LoneStar,

I'm with you. While some of the wraps we've seen are amazing, I'd go for a protective wrap over the Launch Green rather than changing the look. But I sure look forward too seeing what others come up with!

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
LoneStar,

I'm with you. While some of the wraps we've seen are amazing, I'd go for a protective wrap over the Launch Green rather than changing the look. But I sure look forward too seeing what others come up with!
I'm leaning towards LE Green with a Matte wrap. Aiming for a darker OD Green Army look.

Of course, all reliant on seeing some real world pics of LE green, or getting to see it in person before my # comes up.

Rivian R1T R1S Vinyl Wrap Thoughts 1616789729762

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
Love the matte black Rivian that was driving around in LA. Would love to do matte black with green interior. Called my local vinyl wrap shop and this was the info I was given. $3,500 to fully wrap a truck the size of a Tacoma, comes with a 3 year warranty and the guy said wraps like that will last 4-5 years before needing to be redone.

Anyone else have any experience in this area? Does that seem like a good price? Based on the pricing I'm not sure its really worth it especially since the green interior is more money.

Thoughts?
I had my wife’s bmw in for a front PPF Xpel and ceramic coating and he also quoted me $3500 for the R1S vinyl wrap and around $7000 for full SUV Xpel PPF, regular or Stealth Satin/Matte without doing the black roof on the R1S. I will be doing one of the two but haven’t yet decided.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I'm leaning towards LE Green with a Matte wrap. Aiming for a darker OD Green Army look.

Of course, all reliant on seeing some real world pics of LE green, or getting to see it in person before my # comes up.

1616789729762.png
Utilizing advanced quantitative analysis, I was shocked to find that 15.7% of all Rivians are going to Austin, Texas. This is further proof that 86.4% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Nice looking Jeep, by the way. I do wonder how great Launch Green would (will?) look in a matted finish. We should know in about.....um.....never mind. Stay tuned....

OP
OP
njcoach24

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC

1616789729762.png
Do you mean that the matte wrap would be clear to dull the color? Could you achieve the same outcome getting the R1T in black and using a matte clear wrap? Or am I totally off on what you are saying?

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
Do you mean that the matte wrap would be clear to dull the color? Could you achieve the same outcome getting the R1T in black and using a matte clear wrap? Or am I totally off on what you are saying?
Yes on the former. My expectation/hope is that LE green is going to be in the dark Olive Drab realm. In which case I'd do a clear matte wrap.

I did like the look of the matte black wrapped R1T in the "Long way up reunion" video. But honestly, am geeked about getting an OEM color that helps identify early adoption.

FYI - that jeep is not mine. Just representative of what's in my mind's eye.

-Keith

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Yes on the former. My expectation/hope is that LE green is going to be in the dark Olive Drab realm. In which case I'd do a clear matte wrap.

I did like the look of the matte black wrapped R1T in the "Long way up reunion" video. But honestly, am geeked about getting an OEM color that helps identify early adoption.

FYI - that jeep is not mine. Just representative of what's in my mind's eye.

-Keith
I'm new to the world of wraps, but love the idea of having Launch Green in a matted finish. I also like linking the color to the first edition of the vehicle. Now it would be nice to actually see L.G. in the real world.

hamnajain

First Name
Hamna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Occupation
Designer
I’ve had a wrap on the front of my Hyundai for 2 years now, and besides a few areas with slight fraying (mirrors) it’s been fine, and my car has had 15-20k miles and has been shipped cross country and also washed many times. But before that I had a cheaper wrap that only lasted a year. I would say spend up in order to get something that will last and stay looking good.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I’ve had a wrap on the front of my Hyundai for 2 years now, and besides a few areas with slight fraying (mirrors) it’s been fine, and my car has had 15-20k miles and has been shipped cross country and also washed many times. But before that I had a cheaper wrap that only lasted a year. I would say spend up in order to get something that will last and stay looking good.
Hamna,

Thanks and welcome aboard the Forum! I hope I don't sound ignorant, but I'm guessing a wrap is a valuable tool there in avoiding the pitting that can be caused by impacting the blowing sand as you cruise along your highways, along with that which may be kicked up off the surface by leading vehicles in many parts of Dubai. True? I have friends in the SW U.S. who feel wraps are almost standard for them because of the blowing sands they experience regularly.

Again, welcome to the group!

Last edited:

GPinIAH

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge ram 1500 Longhorn
Occupation
Engineer
I'll be wrapping my R1S in 3m M22 Deep matte black, and having it ceramic coated. Can't wait!

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
Does a wrap add much weight to a vehicle?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does a wrap add much weight to a vehicle?
About 25-40 lbs, I'd guess. It's technically weight, but I doubt most people would notice or care.

Reed

First Name
Reed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Toyota Tacoma, March/24 Reservation for R2
Occupation
Retired
About 25-40 lbs, I'd guess. It's technically weight, but I doubt most people would notice or care.
That's not bad. I thought it might be more.

I saw a video that suggested paint, including primer and clear-coat, would only add about 8 lbs to the weight of a small sports car. If the R1t uses more than double that, say 20 lbs, then the total weight of paint and wrap would only be a maximum of 60 lbs.

Unless there is something else going on, that doesn't sound like a problem.
Sponsored