Very disappointing snow experience

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
Many many years ago (Yes, I am old), my motorcycle instructor told me. There are 2 reasons for accidents, you run out of traction or you run out of talent.

When I knew I was getting my R1T with 22's, I order the Michelin X-Ice snow tires for less than $250 ea and had them installed on day 3 as that was the first appt I could get. With an almost $80k vehicle, I am not taking changes on snow and ice with the M+S (Mediocre and Sliding) tires.
Sponsored

Kirk211

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adventure
Thanks for the explanation I am already familiar with.
Sounds like I’m not the overconfident one cowboy.

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
Just got truck delivered on Friday. Doesn’t have snow mode, do I need to do something to get upsates or do others not have it yet either? All hooked up to App and Wi-Fi.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
This for sure. My Subaru STi on some cheap AF Hankook winter tires was an absolute tank compared to my 4Runner on Falken AT3W (3PMSF ATs). Some of it is the weight, but 3PMSF ATs are no replacement for real winter tires.
You should try the Wildpeak A/T Trails. When I switched from the AT3W to the A/T Trails, I saw a big improvement in snow performance. Still probably not as good as most dedicated snow tires, but close enough that I don't bother with snow tires at all on my Jeep.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

You should try the Wildpeak A/T Trails. When I switched from the AT3W to the A/T Trails, I saw a big improvement in snow performance. Still probably not as good as most dedicated snow tires, but close enough that I don't bother with snow tires at all on my Jeep.
I can see how those might be better in snow, but they wouldn't be very trail worthy around here.

Sponsored

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I can see how those might be better in snow, but they wouldn't be very trail worthy around here.
Maybe, but for the type of trails I do, they seem fine. They are the closest thing I can find so far for a tire that does well all around, meaning street, snow, and basic offroad driving. They are also quiet and comfortable.

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
R1T on 22" all-season tires: I live in the Utah mountains and we have 3+ feet of snow on the ground, so I have driven up and down the mountain passes to the ski resort 12 mins away many times, with little issue. However, today we headed up to Snowbird as the snow was falling hard. It had turned from rain to slush to snow and was admittedly slicker than normal, but as we progressed up a steeper incline, I couldn't keep the truck from sliding sideways as the tires slipped. The truck slowed to 8 to 9 mph and wouldn't go faster. I couldn't even make the tires spin if I wanted to. It was like it went into a turtle mode but had no indicators. I decided to put it in Sand mode as none of the other modes seemed to help, as I hadn't updated the software to have access to a Snow mode yet. I barely made it to snowbird. Yes, i don't have dedicated snow tires and I am sure I will get a lot of "duh" comments saying they aren't meant for snow and they are also 22" but it is disappointing performance regardless. Unlike a traditional 4x4 (5 Jeep Grand Cherokees in our family over the years), there wasn't that clear sense of the 4x4 doing some extra work despite poor tire grip.

Time to bite the bullet for snow tires.
Oh no! Well we hope you can find some good snow tires. Be careful on the road till then!

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just got truck delivered on Friday. Doesn’t have snow mode, do I need to do something to get upsates or do others not have it yet either? All hooked up to App and Wi-Fi.
You need to update to the latest software version.

Heimat

First Name
Tad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
pipefitter, rental property
I've gotten stuck 3 times this winter. Every time it was a drift that the flat under body just became like A sled. Climbed up leaving the wheels off the ground. Put it in off-road mode, but apparently it thought the suspension was already extended. Had to dig ot out. FYI raise it up before going through deep snow. Had to do a full rest to fix.

Rivian R1T R1S Very disappointing snow experience 20221225_170017

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tbirdjeff

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I had the exact opposite experience. I drove the truck up to SnowBowl after a night of 12 inches of snow and actively snowing and 30 degrees and never lost traction for even 1 second on the trip up and down. Granted I had snow mode on but I had street tires and it performed flawlessly. The mountain was under 4x4 or chain advisory at the time.
It was powerful peace of mind with our family of 4 on our way to the slopes.
Very glad you didn't have problems. I have driven in heavy snow of all types except for this one experience and had no issues. Like a Champ. But when it does - the ENTIRE point of this thread - it goes haywire. There is absolutely something about certain situations of lost traction that are unique to this Quad motor setup, regardless of tires. OF COURSE the tires contribute to lack of traction, but this experience could happen even with great snow tires. Much less likely, but still a fundamental challenge when it does happen.

@R.I.P. I want to invite you to a BBQ. It would be enlightening to hear you pontificate. Serious. You have made the point over your many posts I was unable to (and which I was skewered many times by guys missing the point like @windblowlc) - there is a challenge when you do lose traction and there are quite a few who have confirmed this by experience and R.I.P. by both experience and knowledge.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Very glad you didn't have problems. I have driven in heavy snow of all types except for this one experience and had no issues. Like a Champ. But when it does - the ENTIRE point of this thread - it goes haywire. There is absolutely something about certain situations of lost traction that are unique to this Quad motor setup, regardless of tires. OF COURSE the tires contribute to lack of traction, but this experience could happen even with great snow tires. Much less likely, but still a fundamental challenge when it does happen.

@R.I.P. I want to invite you to a BBQ. It would be enlightening to hear you pontificate. Serious. You have made the point over your many posts I was unable to (and which I was skewered many times by guys missing the point like @windblowlc) - there is a challenge when you do lose traction and there are quite a few who have confirmed this by experience and R.I.P. by both experience and knowledge.
Lol. "pontificate". <best Bevis cackle>

BBQs are good. I pontificate better when there is beer too.
đź‘Ť

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
What was the point I made? You drove in slushy condition with heavy snow on steep incline and slick road with no snow mode and no snow tires on 22" AS tires, and you don't think your Rivian is not going to slip and slide. You had snow socks but did not stop to put them on. Instead of blaming yourself, you blame it on the disappointing performance of the Rivian. Luckily you made it to your destination without accident. So did you bite the bullet and buy snow tires like you said? I would hope so for your sake.

OP
OP
Tbirdjeff

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
What was the point I made? You drove in slushy condition with heavy snow on steep incline and slick road with no snow mode and no snow tires on 22" AS tires, and you don't think your Rivian is not going to slip and slide. You had snow socks but did not stop to put them on. Instead of blaming yourself, you blame it on the disappointing performance of the Rivian. Luckily you made it to your destination without accident. So did you bite the bullet and buy snow tires like you said? I would hope so for your sake.
100% guarantee you would come back and say the same things. Again, you miss the point. Talk to R.I.P. He can tell you the point.
Sponsored