Vent, B!tch & Moaning for the mis-"Guided"

Vern Bybee

First Name
Vern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sierra, Cherokee, XJ...
Using my own thread to "come clean".. The drought of meaningful info from Rivian and the passage of time leaves me constantly pondering alternatives. I know none are as adventure-focused as the Rivian and some not even real EVs or just road-going rides. Sitting here on the verge of spending near $80 grand on a new vehicle has me eye-balling options:
  • Ford F-150 Hybrid (FX4-Platinum)
  • Audi e-tron
  • Mach-E GT
  • Tesla Y-Performance
  • Hyundai Ionic 5 (or 6) yes, also a wait time

There... I said it! I confessed... and I peak at other vehicle forums too

Now back to convincing myself every other option will disappoint the crap out of me once the R1T is actually set free. When all its glory is revealed here and on YouTube that my ability to resist taking another bride is rewarded handsomely. Now onto my next paranoia .... all this goodness starts in June and I don't hear from my Guide until late fall about a winter production spot. ?
I have been more than peaking I've been studying
Please tell me any vehicle that compares at $75k
We are lucky
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
We are lucky
Considering you (or anyone else here) has never even driven a R1T, it seems foolish to make such assertions. These are also complex machines with many potential uses and edge cases. You must define the scope before you can consider what "compares".

If you want CarPlay (I know people are tired of hearing about it) then there are a LOT of vehicles that compare favorably at a small fraction of the price of a R1T.

If you want a truck, again, lots of vehicles compare favorably at the same price, or less. Don't care about BEV? A GMC Sierra Denali offers more features than the R1T, for example.

Now if you scope it to only BEV, then the playing field changes. Other requirements will further reduce the options. But consider that YOUR use case may be quite different from someone else's.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

We are lucky
Well, if we're to believe everything we hear, you could get the Lordstown Endurance for under $57,000, but you'll have to buy at least five of them, and then wait for it......wait for it.....

Every four-door costing $75,000 plus that I've purchased in my lifetime also came with at least 4 bedrooms, 2½ baths, a two-car garage and water features. That said, I also feel that these Rivians are a bargain for what we're going to be getting. As highly as I think of Teslas, I've honestly never thought seriously about buying one. That's not a knock, they just don't inspire me. Rivian does, and did so within an hour of first reading about the 2018 L.A. Auto Show debut. Click, click, deposit made, perma-grin affixed. Over two years later, grin still going strong. They say humans dream in Black & White. Luckily, my dreams are now all in Launch Green and Forest Edge.

Ok, after proofreading this, I admit that your rants are way more fun!

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Wait.... Duck - you know what Launch Green looks like from your dreams! Do share!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Wait.... Duck - you know what Launch Green looks like from your dreams! Do share!
Thats a scary ask! My mental edit feature might reveal more than I'm ready to share. Suffice it to say, it is awesome! So much so, I may need to take a nap just to see it again.

Note to self: Best not to do so while driving....

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
AA & Car play is in my wishlist, but I can't complain about it since I don't know how good Rivian infotainment will be or if they'll even allow screen share. I know Toyota was pretty much forced to get it since many people complained, but Tesla for example is one that had a good system, so people wish they have it, but noone is rioting for it.

Now, Launch green will always be controversial. Currently: why doesn't Rivian show the color!
June- Dec: It doesn't look like in the renders!!
Jan-∞: why doesn't Rivian bring back Launch Green!!!

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
One of my first vehicles was a 1965 F-250. I likely learned how to drive stick in that truck.

Got me around just fine, despite the lack of Apple CarPlay.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One of my first vehicles was a 1965 F-250. I likely learned how to drive stick in that truck.

Got me around just fine, despite the lack of Apple CarPlay.
I hope you're not implying that because you once got around without a feature then that makes the feature value-less?

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I hope you're not implying that because you once got around without a feature then that makes the feature value-less?
More implying that its not an essential feature to make an electric truck go. Sometimes it feels like folks here are more interested in purchasing an App than an electric truck.

I get that people are disappointed in the lack of CarPlay, but do we need to be reminded about that in every thread? That horse has been beaten. Lets see what the Rivian infotainment looks like.

Anyways, that's my addition to the "gripes" thread.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
More implying that its not an essential feature to make an electric truck go. Sometimes it feels like folks here are more interested in purchasing an App than an electric truck.
I want both. And Rivian is charging more than enough to provide both.

If I just needed to get from A->B then I could drive a 1987 Toyota Tercel. If I only needed an electric pickup truck and no features, then I could drive this:

https://electrek.co/2021/01/23/alib...-the-week-mini-electric-pickup-truck-pickman/

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
This is pretty minor, but the fact that the back seats fold "nearly" flat and that it is somehow a big revelation and big deal is utter non-sense to me. This shouldn't be a bonus feature. This is a no brainer and should 100% be expected. Car manufacturers have had rear seats that fold flat for a long time now. Do a quick google search...GMC has been doing this since at least 2015. I don't even know why this is a talking or selling point for Rivian. It would be a BIG deal if they did not fold flat. It shouldn't be a big deal that they do fold "nearly" flat. Rivian needs to stop patting themselves on the back for basic features and design aspects that every other car manufacturer has figured out years ago. I get it, it's hard to design and build a car from scratch. But don't try to make selling points out of nothing.
And the seats folding flat make it "ideal for car camping" is pure branding and also non-sense. You can car camp out of a RAV4 for crying out loud. I just rented a Yukon for a weekend trip in Colorado, and their seats folded COMPLETELY flat....I don't see them making a quirky YouTube video about how the Yukon is the perfect vehicle for family car camping adventures.
IF the R1S had other unique car camping features like night lights, bug screens, some sort of battery or low power fan for the night, custom inflatable mattress, whatever they come up with, then that's another thing. Saying the seats fold nearly flat (which is not a revelation) makes this vehicle ideal for car camping is hollow branding and marketing.
Last point: when you "car camp" you don't usually sleep in the rear cargo area of your vehicle unless you have some sort of custom or after market bed platform. When you car camp, you have TONS of gear. That is almost exclusively the reason for car camping...you have lots of gear you can't carry in a back pack. And all of that gear is in the trunk of your vehicle. 99% of car campers use tents.
Rivian's version of "car camping" is going 10 minutes out of town, laying down in the back of your R1S, and watching the stars for one night, with zero gear. I just don't get this entire "rear seats fold nearly flat" and "ideal for car camping" on so many levels. It's hollow marketing, yet Rivian followers blindly love it. Why?
Well said. I doubt RJ has ever been camping, thus he imagines camping in a R1S carring no gear with you. It's all marketing hype.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I get that people are disappointed in the lack of CarPlay, but do we need to be reminded about that in every thread? That horse has been beaten. Lets see what the Rivian infotainment looks like.

Anyways, that's my addition to the "gripes" thread.
Rhidan,

I'm with you in not being too concerned about the interface. In one of my earliest calls to CS, I asked about XM/Sirius (I'm a bit of a luddite and don't use CarPlay or Android), and they said, in their vague way, that the entertainment system was going to be proprietary to allow Rivian to control all aspects of it. Having said that, they were quick to then state that it will be awesome. I took them at their word then and, with the later news about Meridian, I'm good with whatever comes.

Like you, I know many folks want a specific app or this format or that, but I'm ready to be blown away by what comes in my new truck. Maybe I'm lucky I have yet to become accustomed to, or reliant on these apparently awesome CarPlay and Android systems, but I can't imagine this team and their benefactors/investors would go this far and settle for something less than outstanding.

Yeah, yeah...I know, "Go back to your Kool-aid, buddy!"

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
“Thank you for your invaluable input. Unfortunately, we’ve had to cancel your reservation.”
- RJ
Lol...that's why I'm keeping my CyberTruck reservation!