First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
I purchased and installed the Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with GPS tracking from Amazon to allow for license plates to be captured. That's the issue with the inbuilt Drive Cam.

As I just got my R1S, it doesn’t come with the 12v under dash power. I tried to power the camera with the Garmin OBD solution I already have for CarPlay and MagSafe mount, but the camera is power hungry and wouldn’t stay on. So I had to do a rear view mirror tap.

Thanks to @citizen and his instructions here:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...-installed-via-mirror-tap-diy-tutorial.18533/

I followed the instructions exactly and it’s working really well now.

If you search online this is probably one of the few dashcam that captures license plates really well. I’ve attached some pics. If you observe the commercial van you can make out a lot of details from the videos besides the license plates. The rearview cam is pretty good too capturing the license plate of stopped F150.

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos Vantru

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos IMG_8537

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos IMG_8538

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos IMG_8546

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos IMG_8550

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos IMG_8548

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 3.10.26 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 3.13.43 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 3.17.42 PM

Rivian R1T R1S Vantrue 4N Pro 4K Triple Dash Cam with Rear View Mirror Power Tap -- installed review & photos Screen Shot 2023-12-06 at 3.18.41 PM
Sponsored

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

Hmm, those pics are pretty clear, hows the night vision? I have a Blackvue wired in my Bronco, been debating getting a decent setup in the Rivian, the built in cams are just awful, quite disappointing.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
Hmm, those pics are pretty clear, hows the night vision? I have a Blackvue wired in my Bronco, been debating getting a decent setup in the Rivian, the built in cams are just awful, quite disappointing.
It’s pretty clear. This is not my video but I checked a bunch out before I purchased it.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
It looks like the rear camera is 1080P? This probably works well with an SUV like the R1S because the camera is at the rear of the vehicle. For pickup trucks, I've had issues getting good license captures with the rear window camera due to the bed. It either obscures the plate, or the vehicle is too far away. I'm running a Thinkware U1000 (4k front 2k rear) to help alleviate that in my R1T.

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
It looks like the rear camera is 1080P? This probably works well with an SUV like the R1S because the camera is at the rear of the vehicle. For pickup trucks, I've had issues getting good license captures with the rear window camera due to the bed. It either obscures the plate, or the vehicle is too far away. I'm running a Thinkware U1000 (4k front 2k rear) to help alleviate that in my R1T.
Yes, 4K up front, 1080P rear and 1080P inside cabin camera.

Sponsored

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
It amazes me how we can't just swap the stock camera out with a better 4k quality one. Should be a simple swap/plug and play

spacefunkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (Red Canyon), Tesla Model Y Perf (MSM)
It amazes me how we can't just swap the stock camera out with a better 4k quality one. Should be a simple swap/plug and play
Keeping my fingers crossed for this option. If Rivian upgrades the camera hardware and the size and data bandwidth can be handled by our current vehicles, then all current owners will have a working solution

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
Keeping my fingers crossed for this option. If Rivian upgrades the camera hardware and the size and data bandwidth can be handled by our current vehicles, then all current owners will have a working solution
I also hope they will bring back under dash 12V power that can drive aftermarket accessories. Both the console and behind the headrest he USB-Cs are not powerful enough to either drive the dash cam or the CarPlay screen. They are only good for charging phones. There is no reason anyone should have to do a mirror tap or fuse tap or OBD tap for power whether it be for a radar detector or vacuum or something else.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Love this. Just wish all cameras were better honestly..and i'd be first in line when/IF they ever come out with a possible hardware upgrade. Mind blowing we're working with such low resolution.

SolarR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Canyon Red R1S / White Model Y
Clubs

I also hope they will bring back under dash 12V power that can drive aftermarket accessories. Both the console and behind the headrest he USB-Cs are not powerful enough to either drive the dash cam or the CarPlay screen. They are only good for charging phones. There is no reason anyone should have to do a mirror tap or fuse tap or OBD tap for power whether it be for a radar detector or vacuum or something else.
Yes, this is COMPLETELY BS on Rivian's part. An adventure vehicle without 12v outlets for my fridges, charger, pump, etcs?~!?! Is Rivian that stupid!?! I have tons of stuff that needs connecting to 12v outlets. I only very recently learned that Rivian took out the 12v outlet upfront. Totally unacceptable! 😡🤬

I am getting a R1S but am certainly no fan boy of Rivian with how much they've been cutting corners left and right by getting rid of all these necessary parts/components. I'm paying the full $100k price -- not the plumb $75k price -- and I've having parts taken out left and right without me even know it? That's complete BS!

$100k vehicle with no 12v outlet upfront? Who does that?

Rivian needs to be called out and challenged every step of the way!

Sponsored

citizen

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, RX350h
Occupation
Product Designer
Clubs

Agreed with a lot of this, coming from a guy that has both the mirror tap and ODB tap done. Next might be a fuse tap if I want to cut into the plastic under the dash to install what they removed.

I'd gladly give up the portable speaker to have all the power connections back and maybe add one to the mirror or dash area (similar to how the Bronco has power on the dash for adventure gear).

@pangpang77, you're making me second guess my decision to go with the Viofo =T. I previously had a Vantrue in my other car and decided to give Viofo a shot when tapping the Rivian. BlackVue was also under consideration. But don't want to re-run the rear camera cable assuming the other cameras might use something other than coaxial for rears?

OP
OP
pangpang77

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Systems Exec
@pangpang77, you're making me second guess my decision to go with the Viofo =T. I previously had a Vantrue in my other car and decided to give Viofo a shot when tapping the Rivian. BlackVue was also under consideration. But don't want to re-run the rear camera cable assuming the other cameras might use something other than coaxial for rears?
The rear camera connects to the front one with USB-C on the Vantrue.
Sponsored