Sponsored

Vampire Drain - getting worse?

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
Previously I would lose 1 mile now I am losing 3. Not the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless. I am curious if the widget running is part of the problem.
Sponsored

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I've owned mine since December charge to 70% (~250-255 miles) and never noticed any drain. Could be happening but too much other stuff to worry about in life (Family, Friends, Work, Life Stuff, etc).

Just drive it, or if 1-3 miles is frustrating you, get rid of it. No vehicle should frustrate anyone for too long, too easy to swap for something else.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Dumb response. Good for you for not "noticing" your drain but it's there. Rivian has been the only EV that I have owned with this issue. There should be zero loss in range over a few days. I have learned to accept this issue since I love the truck but your response comes off like your life is better than OP's.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I haven’t noticed anything out of the ordinary since the last software change. However, temperatures have been fluctuating a lot this last few weeks so it’s difficult to do any attribution of effects and causes.

DoubleTake

Banned
First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Military
Previously I would lose 1 mile now I am losing 3. Not the end of the world but frustrating nonetheless. I am curious if the widget running is part of the problem.
there are multiple things causing it. Proximity key is one of the biggest culprits though and also keeping the app open on your phone

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
OP you didn’t really share enough information for anyone to offer educated opinions.

What area of the country has the vehicle been parked in? What have the temps been?

Do you have HVAC scheduled?

Do you have Gear Guard on all the time?

Have you changed any settings recently that could wake up your Rivian more often?

Do you use PaaK and is the vehicle parked closer to your phone than usual?

OP
OP

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
OP you didn’t really share enough information for anyone to offer educated opinions.

What area of the country has the vehicle been parked in? What have the temps been?

Do you have HVAC scheduled?

Do you have Gear Guard on all the time?

Have you changed any settings recently that could wake up your Rivian more often?

Do you use PaaK and is the vehicle parked closer to your phone than usual?
I know..I was just venting..

but south Louisiana, it’s nice and 70

hvac off

app was on yesterday while I was out of town. Today I shut down the app.

no gear guard.Rivian garage kept.

I leave the car locked in the garage since unlocked the drain appeared slightly worse.

it is a waste of $3-4/month which is not the end of the world, just a little upsetting.
And my hope is there is not a drain on the 12v and I get stuck somewhere (yes I know I should get a warning about 12v health)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I know..I was just venting..

but south Louisiana, it’s nice and 70

hvac off

app was on yesterday while I was out of town. Today I shut down the app.

no gear guard.Rivian garage kept.

I leave the car locked in the garage since unlocked the drain appeared slightly worse.

it is a waste of $3-4/month which is not the end of the world, just a little upsetting.
And my hope is there is not a drain on the 12v and I get stuck somewhere (yes I know I should get a warning about 12v health)
Yeah, the 12v is something I still worry about too. Don't know if you have a home charger or not. If you do, just leave it plugged in, and if you don't I would plug into a 110 outlet when it's in your garage.

I live in a rented condo so that is my only home charging option in my garage. It works fine and I don't stress about the 12v batteries going dead. I use the provided portable charger plugged into the outlet the overhead door uses.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
If you're losing 3mi/day, that equals about 1.5kWh/day or 45kWh/month. Here we pay 25 cents/kWh so that would come to about $11/month or $132/year wasted.

OP
OP

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
If you're losing 3mi/day, that equals about 1.5kWh/day or 45kWh/month. Here we pay 25 cents/kWh so that would come to about $11/month or $132/year wasted.
Luckily I am .11/kwh but still this seems like something Rivian should have better control of. It’s just a waste of electrons

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Luckily I am .11/kwh but still this seems like something Rivian should have better control of. It’s just a waste of electrons
I 10000% agree with you, it's shameful especially considering the way Rivian loves to boast how "green" they are and how their mission is to preserve the planet.

OP
OP

Fmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 wrangler
I 10000% agree with you, it's shameful especially considering the way Rivian loves to boast how "green" they are and how their mission is to preserve the planet.
75k Rivian on the road..so 75k kWh lost everyday..so 27mm kWh per year..my house uses roughly 12k kWh per year..so Rivian is ghost running 2200 houses..or 10% of the housing units in Normal, Il..Rj and Rivian are better than this..

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I have complained of VD in the past. Or was it ED? Whatever…real talk…I would lose 1%, then 2% after later updates….with latest update I am happy to say I lose nothing. Nada. Very happy. That is to say when temps are within 5 degrees of battery temp I’ve noticed no drain and vehicle stays asleep for days.

Disclaimer: No PAAK, no GG, and detached garage, Bluetooth on phone disabled.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Teslafi data X 1 week each
Current OS: 0.96 kWh/day average
Prior OS: 1.02 kWh/day average

NorthBay, CA in unheated garage, but typically stays around 10 C (50’s F for Imperial lackeys) no change in mileage driven, gear guard turned off

Last edited:

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
I lose 2 kwh per 24 hours. It hasn't changed in the last two updates. To check it, I reset one of the trip odometers, let the truck sit 24 hours, re-check the odometer. I do this several times after each update.

I've never like the % loss or miles loss as reported, because that is based on an inflated mileage estimate of 360 miles per charge.

Yes, 2 kwh is too much. I can live with it for now.
Sponsored