Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Wife Solterra
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Several months ago my R1S was experiencing 2-3 % reduction in charge per day when sitting idle in my garage or at the Service Center . I just returned from a 7 day trip and was pleasantly surprised to find the charge went from 85-78%. Garaged and ambient temperature 50-70 deg f.
Also just FYI Solterra parked outside at the airport 93% had no change and Audi Q8 e-tron had no change at 80%.
Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
It should be a 0% loss in 7 days. Unfortunately, Rivian can not get lower than 1% per day, at least for now.

Jared2

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
It should be a 0% loss in 7 days. Unfortunately, Rivian can not get lower than 1% per day, at least for now.
I’ve also seen a drastic reduction, and my R1S sits for a couple weeks at a time.

Used to be 1%+ per day with Gear Guard off.

Now it’s about 1% every 3 days.

I keep the charger hooked up to it, but remotely do not having it send power unless I need it to.

Janbrink

First Name
Jan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Mercedes E-Class
Clubs

I knew my R1T would use energy while sitting in the garage looking pretty. So does my Tesla MX and I’ve monitored its phantom drain for years. In fact, I started just thinking of it as my cars resting metabolism - the energy draw while sitting in the garage - and that’s how I refer to it.

When I got the R1T in the spring of 2022 (VIN around 3000), I was naturally curious about the metabolism of the truck. After assuring myself that I had the settings where I wanted them (i.e. gear guard and others), I started testing it when I knew I would be idle for several days. I was shocked to find the metabolism was about 153w (yes, that’s over 2.5% in 24 hrs). Way too high - especially when compared to my other car’s 21w metabolism. I continue testing to this day on both cars when I can (and when I remember).

The good news, and to your post, I can confirm (at least in my world) that the recent tests all show the R1T metabolism is about 68w and has fallen dramatically during the last 2 years. I’ll save you all the details of the test methodology and results. I will simply say that the test method is consistent, truck settings haven’t changed, I park it in the same stop in garage daily and I continue to walk by the parked truck with my PAAK in my pocket, etc. So I feel it’s a pretty good comparative test.

Yes, the phantom drain is still around 1% per 24hrs. But I can also say that there has been a huge improvement from when I got the truck 2 years ago. I feel you are correct to say it is much improved. Kudos to Rivian keep up the good work!
Sponsored