Not open for further replies.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Earthroamer, Rivian R1T x 2, KTM 300 XCW
Honestly I don't think it's a policy change. I think Rivian is just making sure the policy is being applied consistently the way they intended it to be applied. I've never seen literature saying they would be providing concierge service for minor issues, although some people were able to get it in the past (myself included).
I don't really care if it's an official policy change or not. Rivian knows where I live, 140mi from nearest service center, and delivered a car to me. When there was a warranty issue with it, they picked it up, flat bedded it there, and returned it. If they are now going to try and charge me mileage for that, while they still haven't made any effort to do a mobile service or build a service center in the area where they are delivering vehicles, I am going to be extremely pissed off.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
White glove service. Remember RJ promising that?

Reactions: Guy

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

THIS THIS ALL DAY!!!! This is not Ferrarri or McLaren that will pickup your car for service and delivery it to the track for you with a spare set of racing wheels.

Rivian should be treated just like any other car company. People buying F150 Lighting Platinums aren't on the ford boards complaining about not getting tows to their dealership for panel gaps, not sure why people on here are freaking out about the same thing.

Unless you know... trolls
IMO the type of car is irrelevant. If Ferrarri or Mclaren had SC locations in every medium sized town in America they wouldn’t cover towing for warranty service either.

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 05 Saturn Relay 3
Occupation
Ast HR Director
People buying F150 Lighting Platinums aren't on the ford boards complaining about not getting tows to their dealership for panel gaps, not sure why people on here are freaking out about the same thing.
While I agree completely with you... There is a caveat to be made, and one I made earlier.
There are a LOT more Ford dealers than Rivian dealers. Ford also isnt having panel gap issues, and when there is, its almost expected because of it being a American Made car.. Of course this is going to lead to other problems as Ford and GM both have figured out under rebadging dilemma's.

But comparing apples to oranges here.
A well established, old, and underhanded company, with many locations.
or
A start up, with no base, or established base to work from, underhanded, with near zero locations to work from.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I don't really care if it's an official policy change or not. Rivian knows where I live, 140mi from nearest service center, and delivered a car to me. When there was a warranty issue with it, they picked it up, flat bedded it there, and returned it. If they are now going to try and charge me mileage for that, while they still haven't made any effort to do a mobile service or build a service center in the area where they are delivering vehicles, I am going to be extremely pissed off.
Sell the truck then, you had the wrong idea about what service Rivian was going to provide for the lifetime of the vehicle.

Looking at Archive.org, Rivian did actually say something about picking up the vehicle, but they made the change to the text on the website sometime between early March and June where the next capture was. But their legalese about it on rivian.com/legal/service has never changed. So I guess if you got your truck when it was still the old language on the "experience" page, you can be a little upset, but they didn't say it was free of charge in March either.

https://web.archive.org/web/20220307011517/https://rivian.com/experience/service
Rivian Mobile Service
Rivian Technicians come to you.
Our fleet of Mobile Service vans are staffed with Rivian Technicians who can perform the majority of service needs right at your home or work, even if you're not there. If more extensive care is required, we’ll pick up your vehicle, bring it to a Rivian service location and return it to you, all with a flexible transportation program.
vs
https://web.archive.org/web/20220607002438/https://rivian.com/experience/service
Rivian Mobile Service
Rivian Technicians come to you.
Our fleet of Mobile Service vans are staffed with Rivian Technicians who can perform the majority of service needs at your home or work, even if you're not there. If more extensive care is required, we make it easy for you to drop your vehicle off at a nearby Service Center.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I do find it interesting that a common complaint I read on these forums is that location is prioritized over per-order date and those living far from a service center are not getting cars who ordered long before others. "Rivian Lottery." While this thread clearly explains the challenges faced when there isn't a service center near by. While I get most folks upset about this change already have a truck, I bet those that don't (like me) would rather have a truck ASAP and deal with this pain than not have a truck at all and wait an unknown amount of time until a service center gets built close by. Probably a pick your battles kind of thing.

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
EDIT: Adding fee I was quoted:

$55 base fee, plus $6.50/mile.

FYI - as of 10/06/2022, Rivian is now charging customers a towing fee to and from a Rivian Service Center, regardless of reason for service center visit.

Let me tell you how much this rubs me the wrong way. I'm in Northern Virginia and our closest center was the Bethesda/Rockville location, which is temporarily closed. The vehicle now has to go to the Richmond Service Center, which is a 200 mile drive one way. I had an appointment that was scheduled a week ago for October 13 - no fee for the tow. Since I have to reschedule the appointment, I was informed that the appointment is to be cancelled and rescheduled, which will incur a fee

Just a heads up for everyone moving forward. Make your voices heard on this. I'm in firm believe that if the vehicle is going to the service center due to issues that are out of owner's control, there should be no fee for this - especially for those with alignment or wheel balance issues, as well as those who live 2-5 hours from a Rivian Service Center.
Maybe we will get an update from Rivian. Having said that, expecting Rivian to tow our trucks back and forth to SC might be stretching our expectations a tad too far. Some brands will do that for you (our local Ferrari dealer does this for us), but this is not generally the norm for every manufacturer. Moreso, one like Rivian. Though I can see where they will have to do it for a "specific" service reason.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Maybe we will get an update from Rivian. Having said that, expecting Rivian to tow our trucks back and forth to SC might be stretching our expectations a tad too far. Some brands will do that for you (our local Ferrari dealer does this for us), but this is not generally the norm for every manufacturer. Moreso, one like Rivian. Though I can see where they will have to do it for a "specific" service reason.
Rivian should fix the trucks when they do get them, then. The problem is they're delivering them with issues, then they're coming back to the service centers where the issues aren't being fixed, then sent back to the customers.

I guess charging customers each trip and never fixing the problem is one way to become profitable.... /sarcasm.

Honestly, if I could pay $1,000 and actually get all my concerns addressed, I'd write the check right now. But that isn't happening. So being charged to be without my truck and not get things fixed is not something I want to deal with, any longer.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
My recent tow to the Brooklyn service center would have cost over $1300 each way under these prices!
I am in PA also and do not have my truck yet. If what is said here is now the case, which I will wait for confirmation on, I will have to cancel my order. I just hope this isn't the case.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sell the truck then, you had the wrong idea about what service Rivian was going to provide for the lifetime of the vehicle.
No, I am not going to sell the truck. As I already said, I am going to raise holy hell so Rivian makes more effort to fix issues with their vehicle under their warranty at their expense. (if this is even a real thing)

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I think we're all waiting for confirmation if this is actual policy/SOP now. We should find out soon enough with all the problems buyers are having.. it shouldn't be long before someone else needs flatbed service to a Rivian SC.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

No, I am not going to sell the truck. As I already said, I am going to raise holy hell so Rivian makes more effort to fix issues with their vehicle under their warranty at their expense.
That's going to end well for anyone doing it. Didn't you read the legal paperwork you signed when you took delivery?

Did you sign a class action waiver? I did. I did not opt out of it, nor the arbitration clause.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I think we're all waiting for confirmation if this is actual policy/SOP now. We should find out soon enough with all the problems buyers are having.. it shouldn't be long before someone else needs flatbed service to a Rivian SC.
I called Rivian service, this afternoon, to check on my ticket status. I have tickets that are 2.5 months old and still waiting scheduling. They confirmed I would either need to bring them the vehicle, or pay for transport. I pointed out that I've been waiting on THEM for multiple months. They said they'd escalate the issue up but couldn't promise anything.

I am not happy. Things are only going to get worse.

sierraskier

First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's going to end well for anyone doing it. Didn't you read the legal paperwork you signed when you took delivery?
Man, I thought you would have connected the dots by now... but I'll say it one more time: it worked for the price increases they tried to make.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Man, I thought you would have connected the dots by now... but I'll say it one more time: it worked for the price increases they tried to make.
I can't wait to hear about how Rivian forced you to sell the vehicle back to them. Fired you as a customer.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.