Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

See the new updated info on this at the new thread:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/rivian-service-and-towing-policy-changes-10-07-2022.8907/

Original post 10/6/22:

EDIT: Adding fee I was quoted:

$55 base fee, plus $6.50/mile.

FYI - as of 10/06/2022, Rivian is now charging customers a towing fee to and from a Rivian Service Center, regardless of reason for service center visit.

Let me tell you how much this rubs me the wrong way. I'm in Northern Virginia and our closest center was the Bethesda/Rockville location, which is temporarily closed. The vehicle now has to go to the Richmond Service Center, which is a 200 mile drive one way. I had an appointment that was scheduled a week ago for October 13 - no fee for the tow. Since I have to reschedule the appointment, I was informed that the appointment is to be cancelled and rescheduled, which will incur a fee

Just a heads up for everyone moving forward. Make your voices heard on this. I'm in firm believe that if the vehicle is going to the service center due to issues that are out of owner's control, there should be no fee for this - especially for those with alignment or wheel balance issues, as well as those who live 2-5 hours from a Rivian Service Center.
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Rivian can F right off if they want to pull that shit. I'll sell my R1T if they are going to stick with that policy.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
AAA premier will cover towing up to 200 miles.

Major mechanical problem where you’re unable to drive or drive safely, it should be towed. Once determined warranty issue rather than damage or abuse, then waive towing fee. If found customer at fault or tow not warranted, bill customer and out lien on truck until paid. This is a business, not a charity.

Madsen203

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Manager
With that said, towing a truck that is fixed back to you is kind of dumb. All other manufactures would have you come pick it up regardless how it made it there. This includes all large EV and ICE manufactures.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That is some actual BS. If they had a full fleet of mobile service techs/ vans that could fix most things at home it would be one thing. But most of the repairs we read about here needing a tow are warranty repairs that were no fault of the owner at all. That won’t work, Rivian.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

let me get this right so if i did the math right $1410 round trip so the truck can go in and get warranty work done...

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

FYI - as of 10/06/2022, Rivian is now charging customers a towing fee to and from a Rivian Service Center, regardless of reason for service center visit.

Let me tell you how much this rubs me the wrong way. I'm in Northern Virginia and our closest center was the Bethesda/Rockville location, which is temporarily closed. Thee vehicle now has to go to the Richmond Service Center, which is a 200 mile drive one way. I had an appointment that was scheduled a week ago for October 13 - no fee for the tow. Since I have to reschedule the appointment, I was informed that the appointment is to be cancelled and rescheduled, which will incur a fee

Just a heads up for everyone moving forward. Make your voices heard on this. I'm in firm believe that if the vehicle is going to the service center due to issues that are out of owner's control, there should be no fee for this - especially for those with alignment or wheel balance issues, as well as those who live 2-5 hours from a Rivian Service Center.

EDIT: Adding fee I was quoted
$55 base fee, plus $6.50/mile.
Before I get really riled up about something this outrageous, where did you get this information? If this is accurate it seems as ill-conceived as the 3/1 price hike.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Gonna need to see something official from Rivian before I get all bent out of shape here.

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Before I get really riled up about something this outrageous, where did you get this information? If this is accurate it seems as ill-conceived as the 3/1 price hike.
Call any service advisor.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Sounds like that's what Rivian quoted.

It is nonsense, since their whole model is "we come to you! don't worry about it!"

I'll be keeping my CAA/AAA card shined up and ready.

Sponsored

JerseyGreens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S ADV
Occupation
CAT Property Underwriter
If this is factual this is some BS.

For in-warranty repairs - this makes no sense. The vehicle owner gets penalized for items needing to be fixed due to manufacturer defects?

That won't end well....

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Sounds like that's what Rivian quoted.

It is nonsense, since their whole model is "we come to you! don't worry about it!"

I'll be keeping my CAA/AAA card shined up and ready.
I've never had them offer to come to me for fixes that should all have been doable without bringing it to them.

I can understand this policy for non-warranty work, but for issues out of the owner's control, penalizing them for that is ridiculous.

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
This is a business, not a charity.
It's a business trying desperately to grow with minimal presence across the country. So the message is buy our truck even though we have very few service centers and when it breaks, which it will because its a new product, pay an insane amount of money to have it shipped back to us to repair.

No?

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

I'm still on the phone with a Rivian Service Advisor and I asked questions about when this information will be publicly released. The Service Advisor told me the news was circulated to the Service Advisor team overnight, and something will be publicly distributed in the coming weeks... (so maybe 2 months LOL).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.