First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
How is $150k per vehicle even possible!?
That’s not the actual cost to make the car. That’s including SG&A, R&D, marketing, etc. of course it’s going to be high per car when they don’t sell a lot of cars.
Sponsored

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
If I don’t hear any further clarification by the end of January I’m switching to the large pack Quad. I’m not gonna pay an extra 8 grand to be a beta tester for their dual line up. . . .
I posted something similar in another Rivian forum. I think that the battery pack used in the dual-motor Max is also a new design and if that is so, it would mean being a ß tester for two systems. I too will be waiting for more information from Rivian before making a final decision.

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A better comparison is Tesla YLR with or without Boost will results in different effective range With the exact same components and just an OTA update. So my point was that there must be some hardware changes between the two versions. May be not the battery you’re right.
I listened to the December 23 Rivian Stories podcast last night featuring Tony Caravano and a Rivian engineer named Mason who was involved with development of the Rivian dual motor Max Pack. Sounds like the difference between the two new Max Pack options is just software.

Is it just me, or are the guys hosting Rivian Stories way too obsequious in their interactions with Rivian management staff?

Last edited:

André

First Name
André
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes Sprinter, Tesla Model Y Long Range
Occupation
Finances
I listened to the December 23 Rivian Stories podcast last night featuring Tony Caravano and a Rivian engineer named Mason who was involved with development of the Rivian dual motor Max Pack. Sounds like the difference between the two new Max Pack options is just software.

Is it just me, or are the guys hosting Rivian Stories way too obsequious in their interactions with Rivian management staff?
After rethinking about this, it make sense. If it’s only a software update, range could be exactly the same in both version assuming you don’t use the extra power. The effective range will be lower only if you drive more aggressively using the additional 100hp. That is actually what I experienced in my model Y.

Sponsored

1shadowsabre

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3 Ram 1500 ecodiesel Honda Shadow Sabre
Ordered a max pack quad motor 2/6/21 and am not disappointed enough to cancel my reservation. Just gonna wait and see. My RAM diesel will get me by!

somewhatdamaged81

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G35
Occupation
Director of S&OP
That’s exactly what I want to know it’s a bit vague on if I am willing to hold out can I get it for my pre March price. That should be been something that was crystal.

daeHelkcunK

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Suburban, 1968 Chevelle, Cayenne S, R1T, R1S
Occupation
Physician
So for all the non-information this email contained, why the hell couldn't they have said this 2 months ago?! They've literally given us zero additional information save for the "enhanced" 700 hp dual-motor variant and pricing info. They still have no clue when the quad+max will ever be available and effectively telling us it won't be covered by our current pricing. Likewise, we still don't know if the dual-motor enduro setup will have an 800V architecture or whether it'll just be the same as the current quad+large truck, just with the in-house enduro motors. All I know is I'm getting more pissed and don't have enough information to make a decision. The longer they wait to spell it out for us the longer many of us will go when we could've had a Quad+Large truck already in our driveways. Hell, tell us the dual-motor drivetrain will get lockers and I'll probably change immediately...but we're getting nothing from them.
I finally gave up and went with the 4 motor large pack option. I figured the range difference wasn't significant enough and I didn't really want to haul around the extra weight of a max pack for the driving exception. BTW, super happy with the large pack R1T.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I would bet that Rivian does not add ONE new battery cell to achieve any of the "new" dual motor options. They increase range simply by reducing performance...!! I am still pissed-off...!!!
Why pissed off?

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yeah they should have asked people to change or cancel their max pack quad motor orders a year or two ago since they didn’t have it figured out yet. I see it as max performance vs max range now and you have to chose between them. Just like a lot of other car companies do.

Sponsored

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
I would bet that Rivian does not add ONE new battery cell to achieve any of the "new" dual motor options. They increase range simply by reducing performance...!! And I am still upset...!!! Hello Rivian: How about calling to see if MAX PACK order holders would sacrifice the Gear Tunnel so that you could add more batteries, which would certainly keep the present quad motor performance and grant 400+ miles of range..!! I would vote to do it...!!
I would probably vote for that, but I don't think they can increase range to "around" 400 miles just by reducing performance. IMO there will be a larger battery pack, just not 180 kWh as they originally planned. Which is super disappointing.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I would bet that Rivian does not add ONE new battery cell to achieve any of the "new" dual motor options. They increase range simply by reducing performance...!! And I am still upset...!!! Hello Rivian: How about calling to see if MAX PACK order holders would sacrifice the Gear Tunnel so that you could add more batteries, which would certainly keep the present quad motor performance and grant 400+ miles of range..!! I would vote to do it...!!
There is no possible efficiency gain that could get them anywhere near 400 mile range without additional batteries. It's simple physics. "Reduced performance" doesn't actually buy them much, if any, more efficiency. There will be some gains from dual vs. quad motor in some circumstances. Even if they get 20% more efficient -- which I guarantee it won't be, probably more like 5% -- they're still well short of 400 miles.

There will be 2 additional battery modules in the max pack. That, plus the extra efficiency, gets them right around 400 miles.

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Lucid gets over 400 miles on a 88 kWh, the pure version

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles