Sponsored

Underbody Shield Option - worth it?

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Does anybody have any detailed information regarding the underbody shield option versus the standard shield? Is it worth $1700? I know that Rivian has gone to lengths to reinforce the underbody in stock trim. Obviously, this would be necessary to protect the battery pack in off-road excursions. Has anybody received this option and what has been their experience? Thanks
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's a personal choice. If you're doing some serious offroading and worried about coming DOWN on top of a rock, then you may want the extra insurance of the underbody shield (still no guarantee, though).

For me, I opted not to get it. I am mostly on the street, with some occasional dirt, aggregate, logging trails, and sand. I'm not planning on coming down onto hard/sharp objects.

The standard underbody is already way more protected than any vehicle I've owned, previously -- including my Jeep.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Does anybody have any detailed information regarding the underbody shield option versus the standard shield? Is it worth $1700? I know that Rivian has gone to lengths to reinforce the underbody in stock trim. Obviously, this would be necessary to protect the battery pack in off-road excursions. Has anybody received this option and what has been their experience? Thanks
Its just added peace of mind. I like how smooth everything looks under the truck with it in place. Even if you don't go off-road though, its nice to have it for on-road protection....crap in the road coming up and smacking the underside of the truck, etc... IMO.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I opted for it, despite my truck having 21" Roads. I figured its worth the upgrade so that I have piece of mind when I swap wheels/tires and do some excursions later.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Get the underbody shield. The truck feels much more solid compared to the cheap weak panels that are factory.

I had the opportunity to get under both and really bang the underbody with my hands to see if the upgrade was worth it. I decided to spend the extra for the underbody protection from factory versus the basic option or possible aftermarket options.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Its just added peace of mind. I like how smooth everything looks under the truck with it in place. Even if you don't go off-road though, its nice to have it for on-road protection....crap in the road coming up and smacking the underside of the truck, etc... IMO.
Don't the vehicles look exactly the same with and without shield? Rivian has previously said that casual visual observation would not be able to tell the difference.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Don't the vehicles look exactly the same with and without shield? Rivian has previously said that casual visual observation would not be able to tell the difference.
I compared with another person when our trucks were side by side...his appeared to be missing the smooth metal covering under the battery area...but the front and rear motor covers are the same...its definitely not $2k worth of material, for sure.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I compared with another person when our trucks were side by side...his appeared to be missing the smooth metal covering under the battery area...but the front and rear motor covers are the same...its definitely not $2k worth of material, for sure.
Mine is smooth under the battery. I don't have the underbody shield (unless they installed it and didn't charge me, lol).

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine is smooth under the battery. I don't have the underbody shield (unless they installed it and didn't charge me, lol).
Hmm...is it maybe a plastic cover versus a steel cover? Maybe you did get a freebee! Here’s what mine looks like.

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield Option - worth it? 988E0B0C-50F8-48F1-BC33-B8A2A87B378C

Without...grabbed from another thread...plastic and has some grooves.

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield Option - worth it? 1661365980230

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hmm...is it maybe a plastic cover versus a steel cover? Maybe you did get a freebee! Here’s what mine looks like.
Yeah, mine is different. I'm not sure the material. It's definitely not the same plastic as the rest of the panels (fore/aft of the battery). It looks similar to "forged carbon" that I've seen on other product. But I don't know for sure what material it is.

Definitely smooth from an aero perspective and should handle any normal rocks/debris like a champ, imo.

Rivian R1T R1S Underbody Shield Option - worth it? IMG_4162

Sponsored

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Highly doubtful it’s forged carbon.
Could it be automotive grade cardboard used for aero? (Such as on Porsche and others). Could be plastic too.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Highly doubtful it’s forged carbon.
Could it be automotive grade cardboard used for aero? (Such as on Porsche and others). Could be plastic too.
Rivan.com does reference "carbon fiber composite" for the underbody.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
"Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Reinforced Underbody Shield, available as an optional upgrade, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

Learn more about the Rivian platform and underbody protection in the R1T and the R1S."

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”
Well, mine will likely be an R1S, but it won’t be a kid hauler or mall crawler. It will see lots of off-road travel, often in pretty rocky terrain. I live at the base of the Sierra Nevadas and rocks are the name of the game in these mountains. I am all about insurance and don’t mind spending for peace of mind. It’s just that I have not heard much substantive about this shield. If, as the quote states, the stock shield is designed for “the most extreme off-road conditions”, then why is an additional shield even an option. In order to avoid a battery rupture disaster, I have to think the stock shield is pretty darn stout. Also, I’m wondering how much the optional shield weighs. Thanks for all the feedback.

OP
OP

Singletracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T w/AT 20”

988E0B0C-50F8-48F1-BC33-B8A2A87B378C.jpeg

Without...grabbed from another thread...plastic and has some grooves.

1661365980230.png
The second image does appear to have a fair number of seams and semi- exposed bolts that could catch on rocks.
Sponsored