Sponsored

TT-30 Adapter Plug Charging Adventures

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Yeah they said Rivian didn’t provide a charger to charge at an RV park. Which they do. No one provides all the various adapters to charge with any plug. That’s ridiculous.
They don’t provide an adapter for the most common RV plug.

And if you read the Rivian owners manual, they tell you not to plug the portable charger into any kind of power adapter. At all! So even if you found and bought a compatible adapter, you’re not supposed to charge with it.

I wonder if doing so voids your battery warranty. That would be a bad outcome. It probably at least voids your portable charger warranty, and that’s $400 (and currently out of stock).
Sponsored

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Thanks to someone in this thread for recommending the dongle on amazon - ordered.

Having never used an RV site in my life, I’m excited to not have to worry (much) about the lack of electrons when I give it a shot in a few weeks.

Have always done dispersed camping. Campgrounds are a new-ish thing for me, even after camping since I was a kid (which is an increasingly long time ago). Just ordered an RTT, too. Fancy!

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Rivian also could have followed the J1772 spec and limited 120V to 16A, but they didn't.

You the user could be forward thinking enough and build an EVSE that has a TT-30 whip and advertises 24A, because that's what I did. I also put a longer cord on it because the Rivian portable isn't long enough for a lot of sites to get optimal parking position.

But it still takes an entire weekend to recharge on it. Way better off picking sites and campgrounds with full 50A/240V outlets. Then your Rivian already has what you need as well.

Are you sure the Rivian is really your 10th EV?
10th EV, first trip into the Sawtooth mountains. The Model X could make it up there. All of the other cars had insufficient storage capacity.

You’re right in that I will probably need a custom EVSE. The Rivian owners guide specifically forbids attaching an adapter to the included portable charger.

I’m not incapable of building a custom EVSE, buying a custom adapter and risk voiding my warranty, or any of that.

However, I am getting pretty tired of bending over backwards to accommodate EV quirks. It’s bad enough EVs restrict your freedom compared to ICE, with limited range, especially in mountainous climates. I want to go where I want to go. I want to explore the Salmon River. I’m not going to change my life plans to mollify my car. And I just need enough charge to make it to Boise or Missoula. But Rivian can at least make it easier or supported to use the most common RV sites. Tesla has a great aftermarket community and thank heavens for that. But I expected more from Rivian. It’s an outdoor adventure vehicle! Isn’t it?

It’s OK to want a better experience. Are you sure you’re not a Rivian fanboy/apologist?

Last edited:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Yeah they said Rivian didn’t provide a charger to charge at an RV park. Which they do. No one provides all the various adapters to charge with any plug. That’s ridiculous.
Tesla's mobile charger can be used with a dozen different types of plugs. The car doesn't come with every possible plug pigtail. But they are available for just about any outlet you would ever come across.

Rivian's charger can only be used with 2 types of plugs unless you hack something together yourself and are willing to give up the safety of having a charger that tells the car how much current it is safe to draw.

Rivian's charger is a big disappointment. Mine was immediately replaced by one from Tesla.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
10th EV, first trip into the Sawtooth mountains. The Model X could make it up there. All of the other cars had insufficient storage capacity.

You’re right in that I will probably need a custom EVSE. The Rivian owners guide specifically forbids attaching an adapter to the included portable charger.

I’m not incapable of building a custom EVSE, buying a custom adapter and risk voiding my warranty, or any of that.

However, I am getting pretty tired of bending over backwards to accommodate EV quirks. It’s bad enough EVs restrict your freedom compared to ICE, with limited range, especially in mountainous climates. I want to go where I want to go. I want to explore the Salmon River. I’m not going to change my life plans to mollify my car. And I just need enough charge to make it to Boise or Missoula. But Rivian can at least make it easier or supported to use the most common RV sites. Tesla has a great aftermarket community and thank heavens for that. But I expected more from Rivian. It’s an outdoor adventure vehicle! Isn’t it?

It’s OK to want a better experience. Are you sure you’re not a Rivian fanboy/apologist?
It sounds like you might be better off with an ICE Tacoma. Personally my Rivian is the best and most convenient car I've ever owned. EVS are way better for my lifestyle and as such I'm glad I made the switch.

Apparently you are unwilling or unable to deal with the negatives like having to think ahead a little bit to reap the rewards like being able to fuel up in your own garage 99% of the time. That's fine, they aren't for everyone, but bitching about the downsides of EVs isn't going to make them disappear.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

I didn’t realize bending over backwards included a five minute visit to Amazon and ordering an adapter that fits in your palm and in the portable charger bag for storage. I’ve run thousands of kWh through mine without issue.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I didn’t realize bending over backwards included a five minute visit to Amazon and ordering an adapter that fits in your palm and in the portable charger bag for storage. I’ve run thousands of kWh through mine without issue.
Also includes a lack of understanding about how the adapters you might be purchasing are wired. Once you understand that it's obvious why the RV specific ones won't work for an EVSE.

And obvious why the EV specific ones need to stay FAR away from an RV.
Sponsored

Last edited: