true winter tires for Rivian

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Tirerack.com is now showing a selection of wheels for the R1T in 20" and 22". I'm not sure how they'll fit. Taking a quick look, I didn't see any that matched the OEM offset.

I have the 20" All Terrain as part of my Max Pack order (1st half of 2023, I hope) and have been looking for 22" options.

I'm sure there will be more aftermarket options as more Rivians are delivered.
Sponsored

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Tirerack.com is now showing a selection of wheels for the R1T in 20" and 22".

I have the 20" All Terrain as part of my Max Pack order (1st half of 2023, I hope) and have been looking for 22" options.

I'm sure there will be more aftermarket options as more Rivians are delivered.
excellent!

edit: wait, wheels, or tires? Theyā€™ve had tires in rivian sizes for a long time since theyā€™re not uncommon, but I just looked and donā€™t see any wheels

double edit: Iā€™d selected R1S. Oddly they donā€™t list any wheels for it, but do for R1T

nromz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
K5 Blazer
Occupation
Enginerd
I live in the front range at 7800'. My commute is down to 5400' in ten minutes so it is quite steep with lots of switchbacks. We just got 14 inches of spring snow two days ago. Four blizzaks on my Tahoe in low range will get me up and down just about any time. I would like to do so with the Rivian. I hate to reduce range all year round. I had originally ordered max pack and am being punished for that even though I changed to the large battery. I ordered in Feb. 2020. I never really struggled with tires before and i appreciate all the good input here.
Nice to chat with fellow Coloradans faces with the same dilemma. Iā€™ve driven up and over Berthoud Pass close to 300 times now having started when I had my drivers permit, and we spend every winter weekend in Tabernash. Iā€™ve driven Blizzaks, BFG KO2, Michelin Wrangler Ultra terrain, and Champiro Ice studded on my Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban and K5 Blazer (son of a Stingray corvette owner, hence loose Chevy loyalty). Champiro wins hand down for handling in a variety of conditions ranging from 4ā€ of unplowed silk powder to hard packed/ice on US40. Braking is a 10/10 and lateral is 8-9/10. Ultra Terrains perform well too when I use them in November before I swap for the studs.

I refuse to plow more money into Pirelli tires having had to replace 3 of 4 on my BMW m240i. Also, considering the range penalty and my skepticism about performance in deep snow, Iā€™m buying the 21ā€™s for summer and hoping that an 18ā€ triple peak rated or studded set of rims and tires becomes available by winter of 2023, fingers crossed. Bottom line is that Iā€™m saving the $3500 for a winter set-up that I can mount in my garage (saving $150/year in swapping fees), and I get to keep the full range when on the summer tires.

Also, donā€™t put the Tahoe in low in those conditions , the 4-high is fine. Save low for steep 4x4ing, your transfer case and drivetrain will thank you.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nice to chat with fellow Coloradans faces with the same dilemma. Iā€™ve driven up and over Berthoud Pass close to 300 times now having started when I had my drivers permit, and we spend every winter weekend in Tabernash. Iā€™ve driven Blizzaks, BFG KO2, Michelin Wrangler Ultra terrain, and Champiro Ice studded on my Yukon, Tahoe, Suburban and K5 Blazer (son of a Stingray corvette owner, hence loose Chevy loyalty). Champiro wins hand down for handling in a variety of conditions ranging from 4ā€ of unplowed silk powder to hard packed/ice on US40. Braking is a 10/10 and lateral is 8-9/10. Ultra Terrains perform well too when I use them in November before I swap for the studs.

I refuse to plow more money into Pirelli tires having had to replace 3 of 4 on my BMW m240i. Also, considering the range penalty and my skepticism about performance in deep snow, Iā€™m buying the 21ā€™s for summer and hoping that an 18ā€ triple peak rated or studded set of rims and tires becomes available by winter of 2023, fingers crossed. Bottom line is that Iā€™m saving the $3500 for a winter set-up that I can mount in my garage (saving $150/year in swapping fees), and I get to keep the full range when on the summer tires.

Also, donā€™t put the Tahoe in low in those conditions , the 4-high is fine. Save low for steep 4x4ing, your transfer case and drivetrain will thank you.
Unless someone fits smaller brakes, you wonā€™t see wheels smaller than 20ā€

Sponsored

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe BMW 335 hardtop convertible, BMW 750il
Occupation
Audio
Hi Nick and thanks for all the useful information. It seems that we have the same taste in vehicles! I have a Chevy Tahoe, a BMW 335 hardtop convertible, and a BMW 750il with a V 12 (kind of the opposite of Rivian). I have had two K5 Blazers, both of which I bought new. Next time I get snow tires I will try your suggestion. I don't use low range often, typically when it is so steep that I want the engine braking or when the snow is that bad that it is needed. I am still waiting for my Rivian. I ordered it in Feb. 2020 and have not even received a date range yet.

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder), XC90 Recharge, 65 Riviera GS
Occupation
Gnome Figurine Day Trader
Clubs

Iā€™m going to do basically what youā€™re doing, get the 21s for Summer and edge seasons, take the silly aero blades off, powder coat black. Then find a 20ā€ rim thatā€™ll work, hopefully next year, throw Nokians or Blizzaks on it for winter. Moved down from Coal Creek a few years ago, so not as much of an issue for me anymore, but when you can go ride/ski, I want the dependability ready to go. When you do get those random front range snowstorms, just nice to have!

nromz

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
K5 Blazer
Occupation
Enginerd
Hi Nick and thanks for all the useful information. It seems that we have the same taste in vehicles! I have a Chevy Tahoe, a BMW 335 hardtop convertible, and a BMW 750il with a V 12 (kind of the opposite of Rivian). I have had two K5 Blazers, both of which I bought new. Next time I get snow tires I will try your suggestion. I don't use low range often, typically when it is so steep that I want the engine braking or when the snow is that bad that it is needed. I am still waiting for my Rivian. I ordered it in Feb. 2020 and have not even received a date range yet.
Nice. Durability of a Chevy + ingenuity of a BMW = Rivian ā€¦ hopefully.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

How rugged are the Rivian 20 AT tires from those of you living in PROPER winters....

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

First snow (at the tippy top of the 14ers) of the season in CO - anyone else thinking about snow yet? I'm sure the 20" tires will do pretty good in snow, but I am still planning on getting true snow tires - especially after seeing the price of the Pirellis. Figure I can spread the wear out across a cheaper set of tires when I don't need the offroad capability, and get a softer tire that might perform a little bit better. Tire Rack has a couple available in the stock size. I talked to service about it, they stated they don't have a formal statement on winter tires yet but are discussing it internally.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

First snow (at the tippy top of the 14ers) of the season in CO - anyone else thinking about snow yet? I'm sure the 20" tires will do pretty good in snow, but I am still planning on getting true snow tires - especially after seeing the price of the Pirellis. Figure I can spread the wear out across a cheaper set of tires when I don't need the offroad capability, and get a softer tire that might perform a little bit better. Tire Rack has a couple available in the stock size. I talked to service about it, they stated they don't have a formal statement on winter tires yet but are discussing it internally.
Are there any that aren't "light truck" tires yet? Those tend to be much stiffer. We still have a few months here in Michigan before I need to worry about it, and I could always take another car to work if we get dumped on and I don't have winter rubber for the R1T yet.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Are there any that aren't "light truck" tires yet? Those tend to be much stiffer. We still have a few months here in Michigan before I need to worry about it, and I could always take another car to work if we get dumped on and I don't have winter rubber for the R1T yet.
Hmm thanks for that clarification, I did not realize that was a different category. It looks like their available tires are all 'light truck' tires.

Reactions: Jac

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nokian hakkapeliittaaaaaaaaaaaaa SUV in 275/60R20 are identical dia. to 22ā€/21ā€ OE Pirelli. They are not LT designated.

there are also Nokian options in 275/50R22

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer