First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Tahoe BMW 335 hardtop convertible, BMW 750il
Occupation
Audio
I live on top of a mountain in Colorado and have always used all season tires in the summer and top quality snow tires in the winter. Rivian presents a problem for doing so. The 20" is well rated but not a "true" winter tire and I hate to lose so much range in the warm months. I would get those but there is no comfortable tire available in that size that I am aware of. All the other tires are Load E rated which are made with very stiff sidewalls for hauling heavy loads.
The 21" is the only tire available in that size, and as much as want to maximize range I have not found a snow tire that would go onto that wheel.
The 22" has quite a few tires available in that size but not a true snow tire. I can get Blizzak or Michelin ICE tires in a 285/45/22 and am told that it would fit the wheels that come with the 275/50/22 tires. Does anyone who knows about tires know if that would work well?

Has anyone found a solution between any size Rivian tire and after market snow tires where I can get a better ride and better range in the summer on one set of tires and the winter/deep snow traction I need in the winter?

If I am going to change my tire selection I want to do it ASAP! Any input is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
there have been a few thread about this (search for winter tires).

Get 21ā€ or 22ā€(depending on your preference) as your OEM option.

buy a set of 20ā€ wheels for winter and have them shod in your choice of winter tire, in a size with the same overall diameter as your OEM tires. 275/60R20 is very nearly identical in diameter to the OEM 22ā€ tire

Iā€™m partial to Nokian.

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio
Thanks for the speedy reply! This is my first time posting. Rivian will not sell a second of wheels/tires. Are you saying that I could find after market 20" wheels to go with the Rivian and also get 20" snow tires in the size that I would need? What size snow tire is out there that would work with new 20" wheels? Which Nokian snow tire have you found?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the speedy reply! This is my first time posting. Rivian will not sell a second of wheels/tires. Are you saying that I could find after market 20" wheels to go with the Rivian and also get 20" snow tires in the size that I would need? What size snow tire is out there that would work with new 20" wheels? Which Nokian snow tire have you found?
Rivian wonā€˜t sell them yet. hopefully theyā€™ll have them available before next winter.
There are also no aftermarket wheels made just yet - development seems to be underway by a few companies.

Hakkapeliita 9/10 SUV comes in the right sizes for 22ā€ or 20ā€.

worst case youā€™re having the tires changed on the same set of wheels.

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio
I am fine getting tires changed on the same set of wheels as that is what I always do anyway. I like the 22" for looks (I have seen all the wheels on trucks at the Denver Service Center) but am a bit concerned since I drive on dirt roads regularly, in fact I live on one! I want to maximize range as well. do the tires you guys have suggested meeting the load ratings and such for such a heavy vehicle? thanks for the great input.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am fine getting tires changed on the same set of wheels as that is what I always do anyway. I like the 22" for looks (I have seen all the wheels on trucks at the Denver Service Center) but am a bit concerned since I drive on dirt roads regularly, in fact I live on one! I want to maximize range as well. do the tires you guys have suggested meeting the load ratings and such for such a heavy vehicle? thanks for the great input.
Yes, they meet the load ratings - after all, rivianā€™s 20ā€ and 22ā€ sizes are pretty common on pickups. Thatā€™s why there are so many E load rated ones in the 20ā€ size.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA LT3
LT275 /65 R20 126Q E1

NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA 9 SUV
275 /50 R22 115T XL

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
I know we just had a storm, but I suspect that by the time we truly "need" snow tires again, there will be additional offerings on the market. For me, the 20" is the best option given how I'll use my truck. Even RJ said it was the most versatile choice.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Also another consideration is if you want to be able to run chains. Stock 20ā€œ rim/tire combo doesnā€™t have room for chains according to the owners manual

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
RichColorado, which mountain are you on? NE Facing high altitude? Snow and ice on your roads for entirety of winter so you need to run either Blizzack style dual compound or studded?

We spend a ton of snowdays in Tabernash, CO and have never been let down my a M&S rated tire, or an AT Tire with M&S ratings which can stay on year round.

I'd be surprised if the Rivian 20" Spec is not good for your scenario but if you're in high country that could be the case.

From an earlier ā€œDeep Snowā€ thread, check around the forum tire section.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...el-combo-for-deep-snow.2514/page-2#post-71011

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio
NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA LT3
LT275 /65 R20 126Q E1

NOKIAN TIRE
HAKKAPELIITTA 9 SUV
275 /50 R22 115T XL

Let's hope that Nokian finds a way to move their production our of Russia!

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio
So does it make sense to order 20" tires and wheels and look for good 20" all seasons for summe to put on those wheels or to order 22" tires/wheels and get some 20" wheels and snow tires for winter? Love to hear your thoughts on this

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
There are currently no aftermarket wheels in any size that fit, and Rivian is not selling them separately (except for the spare). I doubt they will anytime soon as they are using all they can to deliver trucks. I, and many others, didn't even get the spare we ordered with the truck, though mine apparently will be in this week.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So does it make sense to order 20" tires and wheels and look for good 20" all seasons for summe to put on those wheels or to order 22" tires/wheels and get some 20" wheels and snow tires for winter? Love to hear your thoughts on this
Iā€™d do the latter if I was willing to deal with two sets of rivian sized wheels/tires, but ive never bothered with dedicated winters on a truck, and the only person I know who did went back to just using severe service(3PMSF) rated all terrains after one winter.

For what it worth, my R1T will have the 20ā€ all terrains year round.
I donā€™t live on a mountain but this is what winter was like here this year. Also it was -30.

Rivian R1T R1S true winter tires for Rivian 22D8EAE1-1B3F-4E8D-83E0-9425B8FD254F

OP
OP

Richcolorado

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Audio
RichColorado, which mountain are you on? NE Facing high altitude? Snow and ice on your roads for entirety of winter so you need to run either Blizzack style dual compound or studded?

We spend a ton of snowdays in Tabernash, CO and have never been let down my a M&S rated tire, or an AT Tire with M&S ratings which can stay on year round.

I'd be surprised if the Rivian 20" Spec is not good for your scenario but if you're in high country that could be the case.

From an earlier ā€œDeep Snowā€ thread, check around the forum tire section.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...el-combo-for-deep-snow.2514/page-2#post-71011
I live in the front range at 7800'. My commute is down to 5400' in ten minutes so it is quite steep with lots of switchbacks. We just got 14 inches of spring snow two days ago. Four blizzaks on my Tahoe in low range will get me up and down just about any time. I would like to do so with the Rivian. I hate to reduce range all year round. I had originally ordered max pack and am being punished for that even though I changed to the large battery. I ordered in Feb. 2020. I never really struggled with tires before and i appreciate all the good input here.
Sponsored