Sponsored

Truck won't connect to 5G or Wifi?? Also won't hard reboot.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Noticed I wasn't able to play spotify first. Then got home and tried to connect to my Wifi and realized it wouldn't connect to 5g cellular or my Wifi. My phone app doesn't connect to the truck for the same reason.

Tried a soft reboot, that didn't work. Tried a hard reboot and it tells me it's getting to start the reboot, continue holding the buttons, then beeps and doesn't reboot.

Curious if anyone has had this issue and if there's a quick fix? Otherwise, will call Rivian Service.

UPDATE: 12/07/2023
WOW, Rivian is telling me they can't get to me for a month.

This truck mostly operates based on it's internet connection. So effectively they're telling me to let it sit for a month as I'm not comfortable using it in its current state. Cameras don't operate properly. No navigation. SOS button doesn't work (god forbid, I end up over a cliff somewhere), can't get updates, can't use my phone to connect to the vehicle, etc, etc, etc.

I'm starting to feel like I'm back with Tesla all over again. I left them after 9 years because their customer service got so bad. If this is the way it's going to be with Rivian, my days are numbered. I called and asked them to get it done sooner, still waiting for a reply! Fingers crossed.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Sleep reset is the next thing to try. Sometimes people have reported those connection issues spontaneously fixing themselves. Beyond that, call service.

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
Yesterday, I went into turtle mode out of the blue with a bunch of warning lights. Pulled over, soft reset worked but hard reset not possible.

After a few attempts with the call center, I realized the left steering wheel button would not register and change the driver display either. Nor would volume control work.

So yes we did a sleep cycle. Very inconvenient given I was 7 miles from home and 20 miles from work. I walk 100 feet away and waited. Sure enough that work and I drove on to work. Did a hard reset there and has been normal sense.

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Are you getting an SOS error? Navigation not working?

I had this happen on my vehicle and tried a soft reboot, hard reboot (didn't reboot), and sleep reboot as recommended by the person on the Rivian chat. They also tried to connect and reboot but couldn't connect.

I had to make a SC appointment and it appears they disconnected and reconnected the 12v and then the communication module started working again.

Here is the notes on the invoice
Rivian R1T R1S Truck won't connect to 5G or Wifi?? Also won't hard reboot. 1701436753532

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

Yesterday, I went into turtle mode out of the blue with a bunch of warning lights. Pulled over, soft reset worked but hard reset not possible.
Same for me last week. but sleep did not resolve the problem, and still not able to hard reset. Truck was sent an over the air update and the problem was resolved.

Version 2023.42.2 -> 2023.42.0

Sponsored

GatorRiv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green 2023 R1T
Occupation
Executive
Same for me last week. but sleep did not resolve the problem, and still not able to hard reset. Truck was sent an over the air update and the problem was resolved.

Version 2023.42.2 -> 2023.42.0
Interesting.

42.2 was the fix for people who got 42.0 and got bricked.....did they give you 42.1? Or 42.0?

I have had 2 separate warning lights incidents in last couple weeks. This one which has a ton of open door/tunnel/frunk/tailgate sensors flash on.

Also a couple weeks earlier it flashed up a bunch of proximity sensors and suspension warnings. That time I could drive at speed but couldn't change drive modes. Hard reset was done but only after an overnight sleep cycle did it go away.

I think both times were purely software. Ready for 2023.46.0 to improve my luck (hopefully)

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I was a 3%-er with the dorked update and got 2023.42.2, but after all the warning lights went on, the fix update was labeled 2023.42.0. I don’t know if the software version when all the status lights come on makes a difference.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Are you getting an SOS error? Navigation not working?

I had this happen on my vehicle and tried a soft reboot, hard reboot (didn't reboot), and sleep reboot as recommended by the person on the Rivian chat. They also tried to connect and reboot but couldn't connect.

I had to make a SC appointment and it appears they disconnected and reconnected the 12v and then the communication module started working again.

Here is the notes on the invoice
1701436753532.png
My SOS button isn't working either with a notification. Mine seems to mostly match this scenario. Navigation I think still works, but otherwise the same. Truck still won't reboot. Crap, guess that means I have to deal with a service call. No fun. Since it won't connect to the internet, no app access, which also means it won't be able to download an over-the-air update. Will probably have to wait a week or two as I don't have 6 hours to kill on two round trips down to the service center, but will give them a call.

Thanks everyone for the info.

OP
OP
kizamybute'

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

WOW, Rivian is telling me they can't get to me for a month.

This truck mostly operates based on it's internet connection. So effectively they're telling me to let it sit for a month as I'm not comfortable using it in its current state. Cameras don't operate properly. No navigation. SOS button doesn't work (god forbid, I end up over a cliff somewhere), can't get updates, can't use my phone to connect to the vehicle, etc, etc, etc.

I'm starting to feel like I'm back with Tesla all over again. I left them after 9 years because their customer service got so bad. If this is the way it's going to be with Rivian, my days are numbered. I called and asked them to get it done sooner, still waiting for a reply! Fingers crossed.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Communications module failure?

Not that it's more than a matter of semantics in this particular regard, but the truck only has 4G - not 5G. 🤷

Good luck, let us know what they say.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Definetely the TMC. Had same symptoms
Sponsored