Sponsored

Traveling to Vancouver, need tips on charging

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Hello my northern neighbors,

I am traveling to Vancouver BC and I am not familiar with what my charging options there are. I did some mapping in PlugShare and see a lot of very slow level 2 chargers around the parking lots, like 6kw. Is there any DC fast chargers in the area that can pull what the Rivian can accept?

Any tips on how charging works in the area so I know what to expect or look for while I am there. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I made the trip from Seattle to Whistler and stopped in Vancouver at a Shell DC fast charger. Easy payment with my CC and the Shell Recharge app. Should be plenty of other fast chargers around.

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Chevron stations are all free at the moment (150 kW), good place to start! But there are only a couple of them around. Otherwise, there are a bunch of networks you can use, PlugShare has been a good resource for me. Lots of options, but most are around 50 kW. PetroCanada is another option with 150 kW.

OP
OP

scottiedoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for your advice. I'll look on the map where I can find them. I may only need to charge up before I leave so I'm ok if it's a slower 50kw charger as I can go and get some food since there is so much do in the area.

Any more places, please let me know. Thank you.

Duckman

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
I travelled from Blaine Washington to BC ferry terminal in Tsawassen today. Then took the ferry to Duke Point Terminal, Nanaimo then driving to Duncan. Vancouver Island and Vancouver seem to have loads of level 2 6kw chargers. I did find a BC Hydro charger in Duncan @ 100kw. I had lots of range left but wanted to test my options. Successfully used ChargePoint RFID card. Chargepoint App and apple wallet Chargepoint card did not work but the little card fired it up right away. Going back through Vancouver Monday and will try to charge there. But it looks like there are lots of 6kw level 2 chargers and a handful of 50w but not much more. I am going to try the BC Hydro 50kw charger at the Richmond Super Store or the Chargepoint 62kw at the Richmond Olympic Oval. BTW, not sure how much it cost, but it seems CDN fees are time rather than kwH based.
Rivian R1T R1S Traveling to Vancouver, need tips on charging IMG_1301
Rivian R1T R1S Traveling to Vancouver, need tips on charging IMG_1301

Sponsored

atlastracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Honda Pilot
BTW, not sure how much it cost, but it seems CDN fees are time rather than kwH based.
Measurement Canada has only just recently approved per kwH billing for EV chargers. So we'll start seeing the networks switch over in the near future I hope. Even Tesla hasn't done it get and I expect they would be one of the first to be able to update their systems for it.

Duckman

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla MY, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Retired
Measurement Canada has only just recently approved per kwH billing for EV chargers. So we'll start seeing the networks switch over in the near future I hope. Even Tesla hasn't done it get and I expect they would be one of the first to be able to update their systems for it.
Actually there is some logic to the time base billing as it gets the 85% - 100% slow chargers off the plug! This morning I checked my Chargepoint account and I was charged $1.93 (probably US$ as I am a US account) for 12KWh which is $0.16/kWh! Way cheaper than EA or Tesla or Chargepoint in the USA.
Sponsored