Sponsored

TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it?

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I think people’s concern is less about it being able to hit and more about accidentally dropping the tailgate remotely.

Might be a nice add to the software to disable the remote release when it detects trailer wiring hooked up. That or add an on/off switch like they have for the 120 volt receptacles.
How do you drop it remotely without hitting the button? Is there a key fob thing for it?
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
How do you drop it remotely without hitting the button? Is there a key fob thing for it?
Yes, Several ways…

Rivian R1T R1S TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it? 4C6B199C-84DA-4456-9671-2BAADC10FCEF

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm guessing that they would have to still leave the entrapment button active regardless.
I agree, that and the bed switch but could disable screen, fob, and app.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I agree, that and the bed switch but could disable screen, fob, and app.
Or makethem do something special, like "Trailer is connected, do you still want to pop open tailgate"

The switch on the bed should remain operational though, IMHO.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think people’s concern is less about it being able to hit and more about accidentally dropping the tailgate remotely.

Might be a nice add to the software to disable the remote release when it detects trailer wiring hooked up. That or add an on/off switch like they have for the 120 volt receptacles.
Park pointed slightly downhill, and the tailgate won’t drop on its own 🤩

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I have that issue with my boat trailer. Opened the tailgate and lowered it by hand and verified that the tailgate will hit. Now I'm concerned about accidentally opening the tailgate someday with the trailer on and damaging it.
I wonder if a hitch extender would be long enough to solve this problem? They come in different lengths.

Rivian R1T R1S TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it? 1652482336562

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I wonder if a hitch extender would be long enough to solve this problem? They come in different lengths.

1652482336562.png
I was going to suggest that for the lighter trailers.

I would not want to use one on heavier trailers as they put a lot of stress on the receivers.

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)

1652482336562.png
I've thought of one of those but then I'd for sure bang my shin once a week in the garage. The tongue jack on my trailer broke a couple of years ago anyway and I put a flip-down one on. Might eventually just remove the tongue jack, but going to wrap a pool noodle on it for now just in case I or someone else drops the tailgate on it.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I've thought of one of those but then I'd for sure bang my shin once a week in the garage. The tongue jack on my trailer broke a couple of years ago anyway and I put a flip-down one on. Might eventually just remove the tongue jack, but going to wrap a pool noodle on it for now just in case I or someone else drops the tailgate on it.
😄 Very true on the shin bustin'!! We have one of these on our camper pickup and I lean a folding chair up against the hitch when parked without the trailer just to be sure we don't do that very thing. Works! But, they are also easily removed from the receiver to avoid that problem as well.
Sponsored