Sponsored

TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it?

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
We're considering looking at pop-up tent-trailers as a possible "lower wind-resistance" solution to help with the reduced range due to towing. We go to a lot of mega mosquito-infested šŸ¦Ÿ areas, so cooking and eating outside would be a pain.

I got to wondering if the extended tail-gait of the Rivian would hit a non-swiveling trailer jack. I watched a video of a guy, with the trailer in the photo below, say that when he switched out the manual trailer jack for a powered one, he his tail gate would hit the new jack top. The Rivian tail gate extends out further than a standard pickup, right? So has anyone that has towed with their R1T had a problem with the longer tail gate?

We're also thinking of putting our pontoons in the Rivian bed and leaving the tail gate down as we travel. Do you think the tail gate would hit the trailer in tight turns??

Rivian R1T R1S TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it? 1651498553410
Sponsored

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I can't personally speak about that trailer/Rivian combo. However, I have towed a lot of trailers (travel trailer, cargo trailers, flat trailers, boats, etc) and I would NEVER tow with the tailgate down. That is asking for trouble and it isn't if, but when something will get damaged.....truck and trailer both will most likely get damaged.

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I can't personally speak about that trailer/Rivian combo. However, I have towed a lot of trailers (travel trailer, cargo trailers, flat trailers, boats, etc) and I would NEVER tow with the tailgate down. That is asking for trouble and it isn't if, but when something will get damaged.....truck and trailer both will most likely get damaged.
Good point!! Have you used hitch extensions very much by any chance?

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
Good point!! Have you used hitch extensions very much by any chance?
The only time I have ever used an extender is with a hitch carrier on my Jeep Wrangler to allow it to clear the spare, but I have never used one with a trailer.

It looks like that pop up has racks on the roof or at least they are an option. I personally would rather put the pontoons on the roof of the pop up or on the racks above the bed of the Rivian. This way they should be up and out of the way to clear the trailer/truck.

In my experience the less things you have to think about/remember when towing the better, so you can focus on other people not doing what they should be doing, so you don't hit them/them hit you. I have forgotten that the tailgate wouldn't clear the trailer jack on one trailer when I was in a hurry.....had a nice battle wound in the tailgate from that. And that was after I already got parked/done driving.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The only time I have ever used an extender is with a hitch carrier on my Jeep Wrangler to allow it to clear the spare, but I have never used one with a trailer.

It looks like that pop up has racks on the roof or at least they are an option. I personally would rather put the pontoons on the roof of the pop up or on the racks above the bed of the Rivian. This way they should be up and out of the way to clear the trailer/truck.

In my experience the less things you have to think about/remember when towing the better, so you can focus on other people not doing what they should be doing, so you don't hit them/them hit you. I have forgotten that the tailgate wouldn't clear the trailer jack on one trailer when I was in a hurry.....had a nice battle wound in the tailgate from that. And that was after I already got parked/done driving.
Bonus to putting the pontoons or other long items on top of the trailer: the bed is freed up for cargo

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Bonus to putting the pontoons or other long items on top of the trailer: the bed is freed up for cargo
Yes, we have thought of that too, and it would be a nice option. BUT, we are also thinking that just creates more wind resistance=range loss. Our toons are inflatable, so the rbest solution would be to deflate them and use the air compressor to inflate after arrival. But, it is nice to have them all ready to go when we arrive. šŸ˜

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, we have thought of that too, and it would be a nice option. BUT, we are also thinking that just creates more wind resistance=range loss. Our toons are inflatable, so the rbest solution would be to deflate them and use the air compressor to inflate after arrival. But, it is nice to have them all ready to go when we arrive. šŸ˜
On top of the trailer is likely less drag than on top of the truck so thereā€™s that šŸ˜¬

SuperFan86

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I had a 5x9 open trailer from uhaul hooked up yesterday and dropped the tailgate to remove some ramps.

Gate down didn't appear like it would impact my turning radius in this instance, but it did make me realize that uhaul trailers have a SUPER long connecting arm. If it was a standard trailer the tailgate would be an issue without a doubt.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I do it all the time. Our typical camping load.

The main concern is if the super-extending tailgate thing is going to bump into your towed load.

Rivian R1T R1S TOWING & THE EXTENDED TAILGATE -- Any problems with it? 1652070978748

Adamn

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, 1991 Barefoot Sanger (boat)
I have that issue with my boat trailer. Opened the tailgate and lowered it by hand and verified that the tailgate will hit. Now I'm concerned about accidentally opening the tailgate someday with the trailer on and damaging it.

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I have that issue with my boat trailer. Opened the tailgate and lowered it by hand and verified that the tailgate will hit. Now I'm concerned about accidentally opening the tailgate someday with the trailer on and damaging it.
Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s an issue with towing and almost any pickup. When I worked low-voltage, we had to be careful with my bossā€™s truck and trailer, and that was a normal F150 and box trailer.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I do it all the time. Our typical camping load.

The main concern is if the super-extending tailgate thing is going to bump into your towed load.

1652070978748.png
Looks like your ram needs some helper springs šŸ« 

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s an issue with towing and almost any pickup. When I worked low-voltage, we had to be careful with my bossā€™s truck and trailer, and that was a normal F150 and box trailer.
It can happen in any, but the likelihood of it being a problem is exasperated by the extended tailgate mechanism. Many trailers it works -- you check it carefully and roll on. In some cases, traditional pickup beds are also higher than the hitch than the Rivian and you just "clear" it.

However what you say is very correct!

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Looks like your ram needs some helper springs šŸ« 
I bought airbags for it, which it has now in the coils. Helps tremendously.

There's one 3,300# trailer, one 500# ATV in the bed, and one 4,000 # jeep and 400 # ATV on the rear.... plus some gas cans to get home given the 6mpg.

It's also a half ton w/ coil springs.

Weight wise, it's just within limits, but not by much.

Nevermind the fact that's at the top of Landmark Pass (12% grade) and the road ahead even has a book written after it: "83 Miles of Hell The Stibnite Ore Haul". That's another story. Poor truck.

Waiting for my "max range" for a reason :)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think peopleā€™s concern is less about it being able to hit and more about accidentally dropping the tailgate remotely.

Might be a nice add to the software to disable the remote release when it detects trailer wiring hooked up. That or add an on/off switch like they have for the 120 volt receptacles.
Sponsored