Sponsored

Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer

Status
Not open for further replies.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Here is the relevant sections for those that don't want to click:

White House spokesperson Robyn Patterson said in statement regarding the new development with NACS in the last few weeks (via Reuters):

It sounds like it is not willing to let CCS die just yet. It will require that charging stations have a “minimum of CCS” in order to qualify for federal funding.

The federal government has made $7.5 billion available to advance EV charging infrastructure in the US.
Biden should use executive privilege/national security reasons to boost this allocation to $15 billion. The money will be worth it
Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Twitter was total and complete shit before Elon, if anything he made it better. Not such a partisan shithole. I agree with most of the rest.
We can have disagreements about how much of a shit show Twitter was before Elon, but the platform has lost sponsors, users, and the value has plunged.

You can't argue the numbers.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Biden should use executive privilege/national security reasons to boost this allocation to $15 billion. The money will be worth it
It just doesn't make any sense to abandon CCS at this point. I want to make something clear - I'm not against chargers that will be developed in the future having an NACS capability - I just don't want Elon Musk anywhere near it, and there are already double the CCS chargers worldwide relative to NACS Superchargers.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It just doesn't make any sense to abandon CCS at this point. I want to make something clear - I'm not against chargers that will be developed in the future having an NACS capability - I just don't want Elon Musk anywhere near it, and there are already double the CCS chargers worldwide relative to NACS Superchargers.
Yeah I understand. I’m just saying the extra money will help to get more CCS chargers installed faster.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Yeah I understand. I’m just saying the extra money will help to get more CCS chargers installed faster.
Copy that. I am on the same page.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The plug has to be standard and not controlled by one company. If Elon can give up control then it can be a standard. Until then it can’t be. USB is a standard, lightning is not even if Apple let others use it.
We might be using the word differently. I’m referring to the more of the dictionary version of “standard.” For instance: In 2 years or less the NACS plug will be “an object that is regarded as the usual or most common size or form of its kind“

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Copy that. I am on the same page.
I’m surprised we’re not seeing more brands like Starbucks offer DCFCs at their freeway stop locations. They could make a lot of money.

And I’m sure Teslas will be first in line to take those spots: “I’ll use CCS when it suits me, step aside!”

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

I’m surprised we’re not seeing more brands like Starbucks offer DCFCs at their freeway stop locations. They could make a lot of money.

And I’m sure Teslas will be first in line to take those spots: “I’ll use CCS when it suits me, step aside!”
Not just starbucks - but like literally everything especially on the freeway. EV owners have to kill time. That means they can spend time and money in your establishment.

It is nonsensical that they aren't adding DCFS simply as a good business practice.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
Thought this graph was interesting. If 7.5k Superchargers get CCS plugs, assuming Tesla wants nevi funding, then the availability of CCS chargers is pretty good.

Yes, EA et al should improve. But give it some time. Certainly until 2024.

Rivian R1T R1S Top 5 Reasons Switching to a Tesla Dominated NACS Standard is a Colossal Mistake for the Consumer IMG_6725

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Why $15 billion? Where did you get that number?
I wished politicians and others worked from first principles of what do we need and the how much does it cost rather than pick a nice round arbitrary number first.
Also I didn’t think the hold up was the money but the availability of sites, chargers and state bureaucracy. The infrastructure bill was signed nearly 2 years ago and only now is PA (and I assume other states) starting to disburse money over a multi year timeframe.

For reference Electrify America, even though it is fairly criticized, created a nationwide system for around $1 billion.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
We can have disagreements about how much of a shit show Twitter was before Elon, but the platform has lost sponsors, users, and the value has plunged.

You can't argue the numbers.
Twitter was already in financial ruin when Elon bought it. I will concede it was an awfully stupid investment that he paid 10X or more what it was worth. I couldn't really care less about Elon but free speech is a good thing. Twitter was operating like a fascist dictatorship censoring political opponents in an extremely biased way. There have been plenty of internal documents released proving this.

I don't really care about the financials because it wasn't my money spent on it. What I care about is returning to core American values like free speech. Things like our constitutional rights still mean something to me and we shouldn't praise ANY company who seeks to put limits on them.

ufdlim

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Product Manager
Lots of speculation and specifications in the thread when ultimately none of it matters. The market will drive the adapter. NACS being the connector of the most reliable and omnipresent network is a strong predictor of the winner. Americans are remarkably price insensitive to “fuel” costs, caring more about convenience.

If, and I’d say when, CCS loses we only have EA and VW to blame. The economics of supporting a CCS network when NACS cars will quickly go negative, which will make expanding the networks further even hard. That’s before retrofits to also support NACS. Short of government intervention this will be the case.

OP
OP
SASSquatch

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Lots of speculation and specifications in the thread when ultimately none of it matters. The market will drive the adapter. NACS being the connector of the most reliable and omnipresent network is a strong predictor of the winner. Americans are remarkably price insensitive to “fuel” costs, caring more about convenience.

If, and I’d say when, CCS loses we only have EA and VW to blame. The economics of supporting a CCS network when NACS cars will quickly go negative, which will make expanding the networks further even hard. That’s before retrofits to also support NACS. Short of government intervention this will be the case.
One could argue your entire post is speculation.

Here's what's not speculation. The global standard has already been set to CCS. There are twice as many CCS chargers than there are NACS. In Europe, all Tesla Superchargers must use CCS.

The US Government has stated that the 7.5 Billion for facilitating EV charger buildout MUST INCLUDE CCS.

Facts

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray

Apple Lighting Connector vs USB-C

Stuff just like happens In unexpected ways. No reason to lose sleep over it.

I’m sure you feel very strongly about most of your points now bit it’s mostly speculation, I’m sure in a few years when all the dust settles none of it will really matter. End in the end, you’ll just have more places to charge, and you can stay far, far away from Tesla Branded chargers if you choose. If you are driving a vehicle with NACS you can use an adapter in those Wal-Mart parking lots littered with mcDonalds wrappers all day long.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.