Sponsored

Too complex to use while driving, or parking.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

If you need exact specifics or your literal coordinates at any given time are accessible on the main page of your phone app. There should also be mile markers where you’re at. I lived in the middle of no where for 20yrs where everything was dirt roads and adjacent towns had 500 to 1500 people. Never once have I ever needed this ODO to a tenth piece. How often are you going somewhere new in a rural area where you could possibly miss a turn? And when you do miss a turn in the middle of nowhere you sure as **** know you did pretty darn quick lol.

This is a complete non-issue looking for a solution to a problem that truly does not exist.

To help you out with your Rivian locking/unlocking just close out your app when you don’t need it.
In your understanding of my comment, but you are stuck on misunderstanding my comment. My point is not about location, I just used a location as an example. Let GPS go for a moment. I will make a new example, I use an ODO as a tool to measure distance. You have never known a use for that so you do not get my point.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

If you need exact specifics or your literal coordinates at any given time are accessible on the main page of your phone app. There should also be mile markers where you’re at. I lived in the middle of no where for 20yrs where everything was dirt roads and adjacent towns had 500 to 1500 people. Never once have I ever needed this ODO to a tenth piece. How often are you going somewhere new in a rural area where you could possibly miss a turn? And when you do miss a turn in the middle of nowhere you sure as **** know you did pretty darn quick lol.

This is a complete non-issue looking for a solution to a problem that truly does not exist.

To help you out with your Rivian locking/unlocking just close out your app when you don’t need it.
I am not damming the R1T, I own one, love them, I just use odometers to measure things on the road.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
I don't have any issues with the ultrasonic sensor warnings, the camera views or dynamic guide lines when in reverse. I find them all to work well together and provide intuitive driver assistance. What I have problem with is getting used to the longish wheelbase. I often find myself instinctively turning too early to get into a perpendicular parking space. Always end up too close to the nearest side. With time, it will resolve itself. Irrational to wish it to be like my previous car, because it's a different car!

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I don't have any issues with the ultrasonic sensor warnings, the camera views or dynamic guide lines when in reverse. I find them all to work well together and provide intuitive driver assistance. What I have problem with is getting used to the longish wheelbase. I often find myself instinctively turning too early to get into a perpendicular parking space. Always end up too close to the nearest side. With time, it will resolve itself. Irrational to wish it to be like my previous car, because it's a different car!
I use cameras to pull in and back up in a parking spot! As well in drive up windows to avoid curb rash on rims.

TJM

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford E-350 7.6L Power Stroke
Occupation
Retired
Driving in the West Mesa in Rio Rancho, NM, the tenths of a mile are important looking for turning points as many of the "roads" are not marked.

Sponsored

eddierunner

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
If this is all you can complain about, Rivian has done a great job.

I took my truck as a support rig on a 230 mile race through the mountains of Montana. There were stretches when we'd stop every mile to support the athlete and most of the directions were similar to "follow the fork to the left at 3.4 miles." And it was super easy to have the odometer screen pulled up and reset the trip odometer whenever needed. One tap and the screen was back on the music screen. Another tap and it was on the odometer. NBD

I appreciate that it's there if I need it but not cluttering my screens for the majority of driving when it's not needed. But yeah, change can be hard.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

A readily visible odometer with tenths is a real plus in my world. I want the capability to do a quick measure of highway distance on the fly.

Brian

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Driving in the West Mesa in Rio Rancho, NM, the tenths of a mile are important looking for turning points as many of the "roads" are not marked.
As well, there are other reasons to use an odometer than road location or documented building location. One example is metering a bike ride, or a jogging event, or marking every power poll, oe some such thing.

RivianRunner

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Man does not live by google alone.
I would say it differently; Real men do not live by Google alone. ;)

Sometimes we use dead reckoning to describe or record off-road routes that are not worn-in enough to be obvious. This is particularly useful in very rugged terrain where you don't want to go off-route. Here in the PNW, heavy tree cover, especially in the wet season when trees are saturated and in steep terrain, GPS reception can be problematic at times. The odometer is your friend.

As an ex-commercial fisherman, we used dead-reckoning, combined with radar returns for verification, to determine where we were. Marine dead reckoning uses speed/time and direction while automotive dead reckoning uses distance and direction. Some automotive GPS use gyroscopic dead reckoning to keep track of locations in places where GPS doesn't work (like in parking garages and long tunnels). The gyroscope keeps track of changes in direction and the odometer informs the GPS of distance when the signal is too weak.

Doing this manually can be useful off-roading. Measuring distance is a pretty basic navigation tool and it's dead easy to add it to the display. There's no good reason not to. The nearest 1/10th mile is usually good enough, sometimes I find that a little too coarse, but it's still useful.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I would say it differently; Real men do not live by Google alone. ;)

Sometimes we use dead reckoning to describe or record off-road routes that are not worn-in enough to be obvious. This is particularly useful in very rugged terrain where you don't want to go off-route. Here in the PNW, heavy tree cover, especially in the wet season when trees are saturated and in steep terrain, GPS reception can be problematic at times. The odometer is your friend.

As an ex-commercial fisherman, we used dead-reckoning, combined with radar returns for verification, to determine where we were. Marine dead reckoning uses speed/time and direction while automotive dead reckoning uses distance and direction. Some automotive GPS use gyroscopic dead reckoning to keep track of locations in places where GPS doesn't work (like in parking garages and long tunnels). The gyroscope keeps track of changes in direction and the odometer informs the GPS of distance when the signal is too weak.

Doing this manually can be useful off-roading. Measuring distance is a pretty basic navigation tool and it's dead easy to add it to the display. There's no good reason not to. The nearest 1/10th mile is usually good enough, sometimes I find that a little too coarse, but it's still useful.
Rivian runner, Thank you for the understanding and well said options of Google saying turn left in 200 ft. Get in right lane and proceed, make a U-turn when safe and on and on. You have arrived at your destination on your right. As if your goal was listed by a vendor paying google to make it a search result of most searches.
Sponsored