Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Land Cruisers, BMW 535&335, MB 300TD, Cayenne
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

We are gonna need a video of its operation when you get it installed.
I can do that… it’ll definitely work better than it does now… (jammed diagonally)
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I think that the 1 just came over in my copy/paste from the quantity column… so looks like number is the same, at least on my repair order… maybe the actual part is different? Or the revisions don’t show up in the part number and are tracked separately?
Revisions should not be included in a part number. It is bad practice. (Part numbering convention rant goes here)

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Interesting— say more? That seems like the easiest way to track, I’d love to learn more…

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I hope it’s the new new design. They tried to install a new version in my truck last week, it broke on install. Guys said they are 0/5 on installs of the latest tonneau, they all broke on install. They couldn’t get the panels out even once to just keep it closed for the winter unfortunately. New rails and all.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I hope it’s the new new design. They tried to install a new version in my truck last week, it broke on install. Guys said they are 0/5 on installs of the latest tonneau, they all broke on install. They couldn’t get the panels out even once to just keep it closed for the winter unfortunately. New rails and all.
Oof— are you able to see the part number on your repair order? Would be curious if it’s the same

Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

App keeps crashing for some reason, here is a partial screenshot

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau Redesign Ready??? 0131538E-A39D-47C8-BF76-4E5946A6ED81

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Interesting— say more? That seems like the easiest way to track, I’d love to learn more…
A part number should use no significant characters/digits.

Ideally they’re just sequential.

If a revision is substantial enough that the part doesn’t interchange, it must receive a new part number.

ASME Y14.100 section…6 I think is a good guide.

OP
OP
swhme

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Looks like the same as mine, except mine calls for more parts…

I’m traveling until next Wednesday, can’t wait to see what’s there when I return!

JGard18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adv, 2023 Volvo XC40 Recharge
Occupation
Consultant
Boston SC told me the same thing three weeks ago when my truck was in for service. Said I was getting "the redesign". It broke IMMEDIATELY when I first tried to use it. Only the leading slat came out and none more. So I got that slat back in, then tried again, and it went crooked immediately and jammed.

Sponsored

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

I got my truck late September and the guide told me that I had a "newer" version which they've had more success with. He identified it by saying there are wider slats and fewer of them. I had read on this forum that there were various iterations but all are fragile. Which sadly goes against everything else the truck stands for: tough adventure.

While I haven't had any issues with my "wide slat" cover, it seems like it's only a matter of time. I don't try to baby it - on purpose - since if it breaks through normal use then i need it to break; if non-babying it breaks it then I need one that doesn't require babying.

Like everyone else, I'm very curious to see what the latest design looks like.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I got my truck late September and the guide told me that I had a "newer" version which they've had more success with. He identified it by saying there are wider slats and fewer of them. I had read on this forum that there were various iterations but all are fragile. Which sadly goes against everything else the truck stands for: tough adventure.

While I haven't had any issues with my "wide slat" cover, it seems like it's only a matter of time. I don't try to baby it - on purpose - since if it breaks through normal use then i need it to break; if non-babying it breaks it then I need one that doesn't require babying.

Like everyone else, I'm very curious to see what the latest design looks like.
I'm curious what your wider slats look like. How many of them are there?

BTW, Rivian definitely doesn't stand for tough adventure....I love it, but that's not how I'd describe it at all. That's the primary conundrum and deficiency compared to alternative adventure vehicles, you have to/feel compelled to baby it. By that I mean, no armor/protection on bumpers or side rails, not field repairable, highly software dependent and potentially sensitive to sensor abuse, etc.

It's more like a Range Rover, you can take it off road, but if you want to do it without cringing you just use a Toyota.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
I'd be surprised if Rivian is beta testing covers in the wild without notifying the owners and getting a signed acknowledgment of a beta product going onto a sold truck. I'm sure the legal department would ___.

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
My truck was delivered yesterday with the tonneau cover "disabled" and a Requisition order for a replacement when they are ready. Only problem was, it was NOT disabled. My kid hit the button and now i've got a nicely angled tonneau slat sticking out of the tube.
I was told it was disabled and confirmed it verbally (not by pressing the button) with the delivery agent. Guess I should've pressed it while he was still here.

BourboNole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Forest Green/Forest Edge R1T on 21s
My tonneau just broke at 1500 miles (vin 65xx but delivered early August) and service told me they could remove the jammed slat but no fix for now. On a separate note, the other items I put in at the same time (sagging front passenger suspension and tocking, both of which started about a week ago) they are getting me in for service in 2 weeks, so not as long of a wait as I was expecting.
Sponsored