Tonneau cover issues

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Has anyone else noticed that as the tonneau gets closer to the tailgate, it slows down with the latest update? I wonder if that helps keep it from "bunching up" and jamming the panels into each other. OR maybe there's something wrong with mine.
Sponsored

mmdavis174

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone else noticed that as the tonneau gets closer to the tailgate, it slows down with the latest update? I wonder if that helps keep it from "bunching up" and jamming the panels into each other. OR maybe there's something wrong with mine.
Mine does the same thing now

whereismyr1t

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Network Engineer
Yes mine slows down too and now does not completely close against the tailgate as it did before.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes mine slows down too and now does not completely close against the tailgate as it did before.
Hmm...I'll have to check that.....but better that than getting jammed I guess.

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer
Got my Rivian today (Yay!). Tonneau cover broke on second cycle of opening and closing. When I say broke, in this case, it will not close completely. Goes to the end and leaves about a 1.5 inch gap. At least due to this thread, I was prepared for it to be broken in advance.

Sponsored

omamatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure; 2020 BMW X5
Mine stops an inch short. Early April vehicle. Buddy gets his delivered tomorrow with an already broken tonneau.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Mine stops an inch short. Early April vehicle. Buddy gets his delivered tomorrow with an already broken tonneau.
They're just streamlining for efficiency. Why wait 2 weeks for it to break and field the call? Deliver it broken and cut out the call altogether.

momo3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air, 718 Spyder
So I took delivery of my 52xx VIN R1T 10 days ago, and my Delivery Advisor at the Service Center was saying that they have revised the part number for the Power Tonneau, and it's less prone to breaking now. As he was saying this, i was playing with it, and upon closing it back up, it left a nice fat scratch on the tonneau cover itself lol, and then he said the tolerances were possibly a little too tight with the newer iteration, and scratching seems to be more of a common issue.

He also said to wait on opening a case on the lid for as long as i can to avoid getting a replacement that will have similar issues or worse. Has anyone heard anything similar from Service Centers? Maybe i'm just lucky, cuz mine hasn't broken in 10 days haha

MAR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, R1T
Clubs

I have the same issue with my tonneau now. It used to close nice and tight but now has a gap to the tailgate.

I did find two things that help.
1) recalibrate the tonneau. Start with the cover fully open fully closed. Press the tonneau button 3 times and then press and hold (press, press, press, press&hold). This made mine better, but still has a small gap.
2) when closing the cover, hold the button down. My cover fully closes to the tailgate when I do this.

It still needs a real fix, but this helps for now

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

+1 on the slowing down at the end and not closing the last 1" or so without assistance.

Service ticket has been active since 6/3 besides a quick call last week requesting a video no update from service.

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Same issue with ours!! Ours is now stuck solid and won't budge. Problems started the first week we got it and got progressively worse. I contacted support a couple of weeks ago and was told they'll get back to me with a recommendation...crickets. It would at least sort of work back then, and we could live with it. Then a couple of days ago, it got stuck solid and will not open move at all. Called support again yesterday and was told to send a photo and they'll get back to me with repair solutions.

He also said they are working on replacing the bad covers with a new and improved design.

We're over 200+ miles from the Bellevue WA service center, so getting this fixed will probably be difficult. I hate the idea of being without it for any length of time. At this point, I'd be happy to just leave it open all the time until they can get a new version figured out and installed. But can't even do that at this point.

I'm rootin' for you Rivian to figure this out and get it fixed!!

Rivian R1T R1S Tonneau cover issues 20220613_154258(1)_LI

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Same issue with ours!! Ours is now stuck solid and won't budge. Problems started the first week we got it and got progressively worse. I contacted support a couple of weeks ago and was told they'll get back to me with a recommendation...crickets. It would at least sort of work back then, and we could live with it. Then a couple of days ago, it got stuck solid and will not open move at all. Called support again yesterday and was told to send a photo and they'll get back to me with repair solutions.

He also said they are working on replacing the bad covers with a new and improved design.

We're over 200+ miles from the Bellevue WA service center, so getting this fixed will probably be difficult. I hate the idea of being without it for any length of time. At this point, I'd be happy to just leave it open all the time until they can get a new version figured out and installed. But can't even do that at this point.

I'm rootin' for you Rivian to figure this out and get it fixed!!

20220613_154258(1)_LI.jpg
" He also said they are working on replacing the bad covers with a new and improved design. "

This part at least gives me confidence they are working the issue and an iterative design change.

AO_Pete

Site Sponsor
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Model 3
" He also said they are working on replacing the bad covers with a new and improved design. "

This part at least gives me confidence they are working the issue and an iterative design change.
I think that's the case, I guess we'll see. Wonder if there's a part number anywhere visible that would help determine a revision? I'll go hunting when I get mine.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Haven't really had issues with mine besides it sticking once in a while and banging on the final close movement. Seems like it probably started working better after being used a lot though, maybe they need to wear in, or could have been fixed in software.