bhopkins

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thought I'd provide an update. Logged a service request via the app on 8/31. On 9/6, received a phone call from Rivian stating they were looking to see if they could do this mobile (????), and they needed to reach out to the service center at Plymouth, MI (my nearest center) to see when it could be scheduled. Agent said they'd call me back when they had more information.

Today, 9/13, I decided that a week was enough time spent waiting. I called the service adviser and reached "Chris". Explained what I needed and he apologized for no one getting back to me. Told him I'd really prefer some means of getting the jack pucks (other than paying $150+ to the vendor listed above). He put me on hold and did some checking. Couldn't find anything in his system and said he needed to make some phone calls and that he'd give me a status update in two hours.

About 1h55m later, he called back. No pucks available but he was calling around to tire shops in/around my area to see what could be done. Again, he'd give me a status update in two hours. Two hours later, he calls me back and tells me they can't find any shops in the area willing to do the work. So, I'll have to go to Plymouth. Unfortunately, the next appointment is nearly six weeks out. Fortunately, he did confirm they would do the work while I wait.

From our conversation, I'm apparently the first person in MI that has requested tire rotation. He did say he's had a few requests mainly from CA. I asked him if Rivian had any plans to have local shops to do this type of work. He said he'd talked to the Tire and Wheel manager and they're working on something. Guess that means there will be options s00n. :)

At any rate, I'm happy with Chris' professionalism and giving me status updates. Hope they can come up with pucks for shops (or customers) to order that don't cost $150. I'd certainly have no issues keeping some in the truck. Sort of silly that all these vehicles can't/don't share a standard puck design. That's going to be a headache for tire shops to have to stock pucks for Teslas, Rivians, Audis, Kias, etc.

At any rate, early adopter issues.
Sponsored

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Good luck! I just dropped mine off this morning to the Miami Service center for a second attempt at a balancing and tire rotation…

I just got a new tire for my Tesla at Discount Tire yesterday, I think they would be a good candidate for a Rivian partnership.

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I took my to Les Schwab earlier in the week, they called Rivian and determined they needed to use their heavy duty lift and remove the panel on the bottom of the truck. Rescheduled for this morning… hoping it is going well and done right.

I appreciate that they took the time to call Rivian and got an official process.

No Discount Tire or Pep Boys near me. I’m in a rural area… 90 miles from a Best Buy, 300 from a Rivian Service Center.

elfordon

First Name
Elfordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Large Charge Marge (Max Pack R1T)
Occupation
retired
Clubs

If you’re close to the factory in Normal, they provide this service there. (I wasn’t even sure there was a service center there, but I assumed there was.)

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
.....So, I'll have to go to Plymouth. Unfortunately, the next appointment is nearly six weeks out. Fortunately, he did confirm they would do the work while I wait.....
So a six week wait and two hour or so drive each way rather than fork out $150 for a high quality item which will outlive your vehicle and could then be resold for a decent percentage of initial investment?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

From our conversation, I'm apparently the first person in MI that has requested tire rotation. He did say he's had a few requests mainly from CA. I asked him if Rivian had any plans to have local shops to do this type of work. He said he'd talked to the Tire and Wheel manager and they're working on something. Guess that means there will be options s00n. :)
Guess you just didn't wait until your front tires needed to be replaced because of an alignment issue your truck has had since delivery ;). Outside block on my front passenger tire is at 1/32

Rivian definitely needs to do something about service times for Plymouth though.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
IIRC, I recently read on this forum that the tire service/rotation deal between Rivian and Pep Boys went south?

Puck(er) time fellows... :)

FWIW.. .pucks are becoming more common... our Tesla's need them, my i3 (and our earlier 3-Series BMW's) needs them and the Rivian will need them too. Just keep em onboard somewhere and you're golden.

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I have a set on order even though I know there will likely be some Chinese knock offs in a few months. I debated for a while since it is pretty easy to remove the panels and not have to use the pucks.

If I needed to have a tire rotation done before my pucks arrive, I would just pull the panels. It would be easier and take less time than calling around to shops. Of course, that is if your local shop will do it without pucks. They should if you show them the manual.

Tonicart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
At any rate, early adopter issues.
Rivian really dropped the puck on basic maintenance planning. I contacted them a while back about planning for cabin air filter replacement... nothing. Luckily it looks like they are using standard J-hooks for the wipers. Hoping to replace with my favorite PIAA silicones.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I made my own pucks, but that's easy for me to say since I have a home fab shop, 2 lifts, welders, and machining equipment... I'll update with pics this weekend
Sponsored