First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Did this today and you're right. They will sell the rims by themselves. It was like 2300 bucks which I thought was reasonable for the 20" darks. I do like the 22's performance wise but I like the 20's have a ton of different tires available for them if I run into an issue. Plus saying I get 16K miles out of my current set which is what it's looking like if I can get those Defender tires and they last even twice as long I'd be paid for rim wise in tire changes.

If I keep the truck another 3 years getting the 20's is a better deal. Keep it another 2 and it's a wash financially. The other thing throwing the wrench in the works is my wife's i4 will be here late this year/ early next year and we tricked that thing out so I'm going to want to drive it some too. Especially for our downtown errands/ places with tight parking that i4 M50 will be a much better choice. Even for road trips if it's just the two of us we will probably take the BMW because it comes with 2 years free electrify America charging.

If we are taking our son or taking a bunch of stuff with us, we will take the Rivian as there simply is more room and it's a great road tripping vehicle. Road tripping in a pickup is probably the easiest time I've had of covering lots of miles in a day. The extra room in it makes for a much nicer experience.

I think I am possibly overthinking this whole thing a bit too much. This amount of money doesn't matter a ton to me either way, and truthfully I would prefer a blacked out wheel but it's not make or break for me. I think this is one of those situations where there isn't a super clear answer.
$2300 for a set of 4 20" Darks? Sounds pretty good. Will they let you pick them up so you can add your own tires? Will they come with TPMS? How long until they get them? Thx, this is interesting and may have changed my plan
Sponsored

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
$2300 for a set of 4 20" Darks? Sounds pretty good. Will they let you pick them up so you can add your own tires? Will they come with TPMS? How long until they get them? Thx, this is interesting and may have changed my plan
Yes you pick them up yourself. I don't think that price includes TPMS.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
LOL they quoted me $3,700...
I also was quoted $3,700. The lack of clarity drives me a bit nuts.

I have a winter wheel and tire set in my cart on the EV Sportline site for about the same price. Just seems easier to click the checkout button than to deal with another round of phone calls to Rivian service.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Did this today and you're right. They will sell the rims by themselves. It was like 2300 bucks which I thought was reasonable for the 20" darks. I do like the 22's performance wise but I like the 20's have a ton of different tires available for them if I run into an issue. Plus saying I get 16K miles out of my current set which is what it's looking like if I can get those Defender tires and they last even twice as long I'd be paid for rim wise in tire changes.

If I keep the truck another 3 years getting the 20's is a better deal. Keep it another 2 and it's a wash financially. The other thing throwing the wrench in the works is my wife's i4 will be here late this year/ early next year and we tricked that thing out so I'm going to want to drive it some too. Especially for our downtown errands/ places with tight parking that i4 M50 will be a much better choice. Even for road trips if it's just the two of us we will probably take the BMW because it comes with 2 years free electrify America charging.

If we are taking our son or taking a bunch of stuff with us, we will take the Rivian as there simply is more room and it's a great road tripping vehicle. Road tripping in a pickup is probably the easiest time I've had of covering lots of miles in a day. The extra room in it makes for a much nicer experience.

I think I am possibly overthinking this whole thing a bit too much. This amount of money doesn't matter a ton to me either way, and truthfully I would prefer a blacked out wheel but it's not make or break for me. I think this is one of those situations where there isn't a super clear answer.
I'm with you. My original R1S spec was 21". But after reading everything about the 20" wheels I started looking at the shop and found my spec at lunch today. $1800 extra for forged wheels instead of the cast is a great deal. I want to see what the ATs feel like before deciding to get another AS set. LMK what you end up getting and how you like them. Cheers.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
excuse me?
I assume it's the "gold" in your name. Like you're rich because of your name is what I would guess the joke was. I don't think it was meant to be insulting.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
excuse me?
It's the "gold" in your name. Usually, names similar have a historical link to very wealthy people. Did not intend to infer anything else. Mr. Stanfield can vouch for my terrible attempts at humour.

Sponsored

brij patel

First Name
brijesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1t
Um...I guess I'll be the lone voice for the 22"s. If you love to drive fast - then those are going to give you the best handling and speed. The 3.0 0-60 rating is on the 22's.

You also have more options than the 21's on the 22's.

Downside is that you will likely have less overall tread life on the 22s vs the 20.
dont forget..bumpy ride...

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Carmelbythesea

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T & 2020 Tesla Model Y LR & R1S on order
@Donald Stanfield I'm planning on doing the Michelin Defenders in a 275/50/21 on the stock 21" wheels. It's a slightly smaller tire than OEM (.5" less sidewall) but the load ratings are still high enough that there shouldn't be any issues.
Im planing on this also

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Are they the 115 rating? This will mean the tire is smaller overall then correct? So the speedo will be slow then correct? Say that I'm doing 50 when I'm really doing 55 right? That's a no go for me man what I'll save in tires I'll make up for in speeding tickets.
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

so at 70 mph reading , it actually 67.7 mph actual. How much efficiency different would it be? I'm not great at this calculation, but will you loose some efficiency with smaller size overall diameter? According to the chart is is 32.9" original to 31.8"
Anyone here has actually do this yet? I actually like my 21" blackout look than any 20" wheels out there and rather keep it.
Sponsored