First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Okay guys. My truck has 14k and change and the fronts are 4.5/32 and the rears are 5/32. That means I'm gonna need some shoes. I burned this set off as if they were made of paper so that leads me to considering a different wheel and tire combo.

Unfortunately I have the 21's so there isn't any other tire compatible besides the aforementioned tissue paper set. I'm wondering what if I should move to the 20's or 22's. The 22 dark is what I originally wanted but I'm worried I'll run those tires off quicker than the first set.

I don't really want the 20's due to road noise but if I purchased those I could get an aftermarket tire. The other wrench in the works is when you order another set from Rivian I'm betting it's a set of 4 not 5 and I have the spare. Could I still use my spare in an emergency type situation?

Opinions from you guys would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

inconceivable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Could I still use my spare in an emergency type situation?
I would think so, if you use it as a temporary spare. Donut spares are a different wheel/tire size, at least your 21 with tire would end up being the same or very close to the same size as whatever you end up with.

As far as which actual wheel/tire to get, I donā€™t have much advice to give. I originally had 21s then switched to stock 20s and am still going strong in those. (I like the look, but they are indeed less efficient and make more noise-but not a lot more IMHO). I havenā€™t crossed the ā€˜need new tiresā€™ bridge yet.

Good luck!

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Get the 20 wheels, get 33ā€ inch AS tires, use one of the 21ā€™s as a spare.

also the parts lady at the service center told me on Friday they will sell a single wheel but as with all things rivian ymmv. Iā€™m gonna try to buy one come October.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If I were you I would buy 4 20ā€ wheels through Rivian or one of the other vendors and then choose whichever aftermarket tire works best for you. There are some pretty good all season tires now that should be quiet and have decent tread life.

I would just keep the single 21ā€ spare.

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
20s and the Michelin Defender LTXs and called it a day. The road noise is nonexistent and the ride and handling is way better. I have the 20s and switched to the Michelins at 200 miles. Couldn't be happier.

Sponsored

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

I agree with those that say get the 20s. They are not that noisy, look good, harder to curb and have a wider range of tires.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
20s and the Michelin Defender LTXs and called it a day. The road noise is nonexistent and the ride and handling is way better. I have the 20s and switched to the Michelins at 200 miles. Couldn't be happier.
What size on these tires? Also do they have the same load rating as the stock tire?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

20" w/ AS OR BUST.

Rivian or aftermarket, your choice, but I'd trade all 5 and do 5 tire rotation. 21s currently have value, can't say they will in the future...

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
20" w/ AS OR BUST.

Rivian or aftermarket, your choice, but I'd trade all 5 and do 5 tire rotation. 21s currently have value, can't say they will in the future...
As in sell them all on here?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

As in sell them all on here?
Here, Facebook, OfferUp, eBay, local flea market, it's up to you but yes. Get far away from those things. @jjswan33 's latest trouble has me convinced 20" is the best route, regardless of what tire you put on it, because there are so many options out there if you get in a pinch.

As far as which one...

https://www.rivianforums.com/scorpion-as-tire-swap-wow-big-difference/

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/new-michelin-defender-ltx-m-s2-coming-soon.15077/

Plenty others out there, I'm sure others will chime in. Unless you're pushing your max payload on the regular, don't be afraid of the 115 load index, it's perfectly safe.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

@Donald Stanfield I'm planning on doing the Michelin Defenders in a 275/50/21 on the stock 21" wheels. It's a slightly smaller tire than OEM (.5" less sidewall) but the load ratings are still high enough that there shouldn't be any issues.

OP
OP
Donald Stanfield

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Stuff and things
@Donald Stanfield I'm planning on doing the Michelin Defenders in a 275/50/21 on the stock 21" wheels. It's a slightly smaller tire than OEM (.5" less sidewall) but the load ratings are still high enough that there shouldn't be any issues.
Are they the 115 rating? This will mean the tire is smaller overall then correct? So the speedo will be slow then correct? Say that I'm doing 50 when I'm really doing 55 right? That's a no go for me man what I'll save in tires I'll make up for in speeding tickets.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Are they the 115 rating? This will mean the tire is smaller overall then correct? So the speedo will be slow then correct? Say that I'm doing 50 when I'm really doing 55 right? That's a no go for me man what I'll save in tires I'll make up for in speeding tickets.
I could be wrong, but I think it's the opposite and the differential is pretty small. The speedo will read fast and it's a small % based on the difference in tire size. The efficiency ratings will adjust once you've driven for a while.

Certainly not for everyone, but it's about $3,000 cheaper than jumping to the 20s, especially with a 60k mile tread wear warranty.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Speedo slightly higher
Sponsored