Tick Tick Tick...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Buddy ordered a Model 3 in April last year. He’s still waiting on delivery in Bay Area. Estimates have moved from Jan 2022 to July 22 and now June 2022. It’s the new norm, get used to it.

Would you rather continue to have dates that mean nothing or no dates at all??
I'd rather have them email people and say, "Hey, we said Jan/Feb date, but we had some issues with the line. Since there are 2 weeks left in Feb, its not looking likely you'll take delivery this month. We estimate at this time you'll be pushed back to March."

Instead they are going to wait until the last minute to tell people they are delayed, or say absolutely nothing until the earnings call.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is what I'm talking about with their main source of revenue, Rivian Mugs. Why put your brand on a crappy mug that no one who has ever camped in truly cold weather would use (handle too small for thick gloves)?:

Cost of Rivian Mug $35
Cost of YETI Tumbler $25

Place of manufacture - both in China
IMG_5991.jpeg

YETI Lid? Well insulated, durable and thick with removable magnetic slider for easy and sanitary washing.
IMG_5994.jpeg

Rivian Mug lid? Thin garbage with crappy, non removable slider:
IMG_5993.jpeg

Yeti construction? Thick, double insulated walls for hours of hot drink. Dishwasher safe.
IMG_5995.jpeg

Rivian Mug construction? Thin walls, insulation dubious. Handle too small for gloved hands. Not dishwasher safe.
IMG_5992.jpeg

I know I know, you are probably like, "Dude, are you kidding me? It's their marketing swag. What does it matter?" To me, details matter. This is my first and only impression of a product delivered by Rivian, someone forgot to pay attention to detail, and the mug kind of sucks. I would never use it in the field. I won't even put it on my desk because I own numerous superior mugs. I'm hoping all that attention has gone into the truck because it didn't go into this branded product.
I just took a sip of coffee from my mug (YETI) that was poured over 5 hours ago and it was still acceptably warm!

Oh, and this YETI was SWAG from a conference I attended, so yes some organizations look at details.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
This is what I'm talking about with their main source of revenue, Rivian Mugs. Why put your brand on a crappy mug that no one who has ever camped in truly cold weather would use (handle too small for thick gloves)?:

Cost of Rivian Mug $35
Cost of YETI Tumbler $25

Place of manufacture - both in China
IMG_5991.jpeg

YETI Lid? Well insulated, durable and thick with removable magnetic slider for easy and sanitary washing.
IMG_5994.jpeg

Rivian Mug lid? Thin garbage with crappy, non removable slider:
IMG_5993.jpeg

Yeti construction? Thick, double insulated walls for hours of hot drink. Dishwasher safe.
IMG_5995.jpeg

Rivian Mug construction? Thin walls, insulation dubious. Handle too small for gloved hands. Not dishwasher safe.
IMG_5992.jpeg

I know I know, you are probably like, "Dude, are you kidding me? It's their marketing swag. What does it matter?" To me, details matter. This is my first and only impression of a product delivered by Rivian, someone forgot to pay attention to detail, and the mug kind of sucks. I would never use it in the field. I won't even put it on my desk because I own numerous superior mugs. I'm hoping all that attention has gone into the truck because it didn't go into this branded product.
This whole post is pretty funny to me because Miir is a terrific, local (to me) brand, I've placed many large orders through them, and it's in no way a "knockoff" even if it's not quite as overbuilt as Yeti. I have several Miir mugs that have lasted me 7+ years, including lots of real cold weather camping and one at my desk right now. It's definitely not a "crappy" mug, even if you prefer more insulation or different tradeoffs.

Mileage may vary :)

Edit: Also worth noting that Miir's mission statement and values align significantly to Rivian's. That may not be your top priority and that's fair, but there are lots of places (recycled/vegan materials, prices driven up by sustainability commitments, etc.) where Rivian is going to come at a price premium and/or quality deficit compared to other brands in the name of "mission." That's part of the package and on you to evaluate against your own criteria.

Last edited:

RivianDeac

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC40 Recharge
frankly I think Rivian is erring on the side of too much attention to detail

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I would say the Lucid Gravity competes, due out late next year. Maybe superior interior space, superior efficiency, range and charging time. Inferior off road capability and around $10k more expensive. The Kia EV9 is also due late next year. Likely more discounts, cheaper but slower and less off road capable. Rivian have a 18 months head start in the three row SUV space. Other options are coming.

Additionally Ford could do something with the
Explorer and as with the lightening show it about a year before sales start, not three plus years!
You've just reinforced my point. None of those vehicles are the R1S - a EV Explorer might be (but I'm pretty sure based on the Lightning it'd not be anything I'd want to drive). The Gravity and EV9 are closer to a Volvo XC90 than they are a proper SUV. And, none of them are even able to be ordered at this point.

So, I'll stand by my original point: For me, there is nothing that compares to the R1S available today. R1S has a great blend of on-road / off-road, high end interior styling, and acceptable range. To me the Rivian is more akin to a Defender whereas the Gravity, as I said, is more akin to a Volvo XC90 and the EV9 is a cheaper version of that.

We'll need to revisit this in a few years, but I don't think there is a viable R1S competitor* available for deliveries until 2024 maybe 2025

A 7 seater with the blend of on-road and off-road capabilities that Rivian offers at a similar price point.

Sponsored

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
My guess is that they are working as hard as they can and hoping Against hope that they can pull off a miracle recovery and get close to back on track, and they won’t say there’s another delay until it is literally impossible to deny the schedule is slipping again. It’s what they’ve done before, why would we expect it to change now?
Rivian sometimes reminds me of a friend who used to say "I'm not late yet" when he was an hour drive away from an appointment that started in 10 minutes. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

This whole post is pretty funny to me because Miir is a terrific, local (to me) brand, I've placed many large orders through them, and it's in no way a "knockoff" even if it's not quite as overbuilt as Yeti. I have several Miir mugs that have lasted me 7+ years, including lots of real cold weather camping and one at my desk right now. It's definitely not a "crappy" mug, even if you prefer more insulation or different tradeoffs.

Edit: Also worth noting that Miir's mission statement and values align significantly to Rivian's. That may not be your top priority and that's fair, but there are lots of places (recycled/vegan materials, prices driven up by sustainability commitments, etc.) where Rivian is going to come at a price premium and/or quality deficit compared to other brands in the name of "mission." That's part of the package and on you to evaluate against your own criteria.
TBH, I have never owned or used Miir. I have used many insulated mugs that suck. I have also never seen one so overbuilt as my Yeti.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I just took a sip of coffee from my mug (YETI) that was poured over 5 hours ago and it was still acceptably warm!

Oh, and this YETI was SWAG from a conference I attended, so yes some organizations look at details.
Maybe you just need to drink faster? 5 hours to drink a coffee? yuck.

OP
OP
Ladiver

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Maybe you just need to drink faster? 5 hours to drink a coffee? yuck.
I poured this at home and when I got to the office, someone had brought me a coffee. So, this really was my second cup. Not really cups because both were 20oz so I am definitely getting my caffeine intake!

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer

Miir's mission statement? To be completely transparent, I haven't looked into the company at all but from the only product I own under their brand, the mission statement appears to be, "Import knockoff YETI's from China and sell them at even more of a markup." Good business if you can do it at volume. Unless they are making their lids from recycled Pacific garbage patch plastic, not seeing much alignment in this mug.

Edit: Ok took the time to read the MIIR story. I can see the alignment in values. It's certainly a nice mission he is trying to accomplish. Would be better if the lid was made from recycled plastic if they are harping on sustainability but your point is taken.

Last edited:

Sponsored

paariv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Died of old age during the wait
They had to start somewhere. Usually that starts with 1 vehicle, then increases from there.

Would you have preferred if they'd parking lot stored every single R1 produced until they were able to ship some number all at once that would have satisfied you?

I also don't think Rivian has been insisting things are great. They've repeatedly talked about the challenges they are facing during ramp. Watch the Sandy Munro video posted on this forum today - RJ clearly states they've got 2000 parts from 400 suppliers and are dealing with challenges in securing supply at a consistent rate. That doesn't sound like 'Everything is great!' to me.
Admitting it’s difficult to ramp up in this environment is not the same as being honest about how well you are sticking to your production plan.

If you start with one vehicle, admit it.

Don’t pretend you’re delivering in volume to the public by reporting total vehicle deliveries (including those to employees), when you can count non-employee deliveries on one hand.

Don’t pretend you’re making R1Ses when in reality you only made two for the c-suite.

Don’t pretend that customers are going to get vehicles in October for the entire month, and then only admit in November that you missed the deadline. Definitely don’t do that again in January/February.

Instead, tell us what’s going on. Let’s say the vehicles are perfect and being produced in volume, but supply chain woes mean the gear tunnel storage compartment fasteners (or whatever) are delayed. Then tell us you have 400 vehicles waiting for that one part!

Rivian isn’t just uncommunicative, it’s dishonest. Lying by omission and creating false expectations in the process. It’s gotta stop.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Well said. If this isn't attention to detail, I don't know what is. I know what isn't though:
Miir's mission statement? To be completely transparent, I haven't looked into the company at all
Jokes aside, I'm not ordering any swag from Rivian until I get confirmation that my R1S is ready to ship from the factory. In fact, I'll tell 'em to stash my hoodie right in the vehicle so it arrives at the same time. Lower expectations, no need to get my hopes up unnecessarily. I've got my pre-order art print and this forum already filling that role.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Production rate has exceeded 200/week. And R1S is now rolling off the line in limited quantity.

We talked to a "real" customer this week who took delivery...in December! Interview segments should go online S00N. An anomaly for sure, but real preorder holders have received vehicles. I'm also hearing that real customer vehicles have made their way to "certain areas". No direct knowledge of this, but I do believe that trucking logistics is probably a limiting factor at the moment.

In short, stay tuned folks. It's not a farce, and we'll start to see/hear more in the coming weeks.
Your optimism rubbed off on me! A nice ray of positivity in the gloom and doom of late.

Thanks!

therealhoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2015 Tacoma Sport, 2021 Explorer ST
Occupation
SW Engineer
Well said. If this isn't attention to detail, I don't know what is. I know what isn't though:

Jokes aside, I'm not ordering any swag from Rivian until I get confirmation that my R1S is ready to ship from the factory. In fact, I'll tell 'em to stash my hoodie right in the vehicle so it arrives at the same time. Lower expectations, no need to get my hopes up unnecessarily. I've got my pre-order art print and this forum already filling that role.

Before I read up on MIIR, had to focus on my day job for a bit so I could earn the incremental bread for a Lucid Gravity in the event Rivian doesn't come through.

Status
Not open for further replies.