Sponsored

SDskibum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Clubs

I couldn't find this info online, so thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else.

The Thule Motion XT XL box can be mounted with the crossbars in the middle and rear positions without hitting the liftgate. When the liftgate is fully raised there is 1-2" of space between the liftgate and the box if you position the box as far forward as it will go.

Also, the top of the box is approximately 92" high with the truck in the highest drive setting in snow mode.

There is a bit of wind noise with the box on but nothing crazy.

I haven't done a trip with it on yet so I'm not sure how much it impacts efficiency.

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars PXL_20231217_001429358
Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars PXL_20231216_232033119
Sponsored

Bar_Down

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Finance
Clubs

I have the same box and concur it's a good fit. I started with the cross bars on the front position (since it was easier to load the box there), but there was definitely more wind noise (at least for the driver) with it in the front position. The rear position (where you have it) is the way to go. It's not that much harder to load back there and, with the suspension in a standard or a higher position, it is easy to stand on the rear tire to arrange things. I have taken many road trips since I bought my R1S in April. Just for grins, I kept track of my efficiency & avg speed (per the trip computer) for most of the "segments" to/from/between charging stops and there is not much difference with the box or without it. This is across many different trips and days and weather conditions and elevation changes, etc., so it is not a scientific side-by-side test, but in my observations they are pretty close. (Sometimes the efficiency with the roof box was higher than the "no box/no crossbar" configuration. This doesn't make sense to me, but there were other variables at play.) Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about it.

Acon

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I couldn't find this info online, so thought I'd post this in case it helps anyone else.

The Thule Motion XT XL box can be mounted with the crossbars in the middle and rear positions without hitting the liftgate. When the liftgate is fully raised there is 1-2" of space between the liftgate and the box if you position the box as far forward as it will go.

Also, the top of the box is approximately 92" high with the truck in the highest drive setting in snow mode.

There is a bit of wind noise with the box on but nothing crazy.

I haven't done a trip with it on yet so I'm not sure how much it impacts efficiency.

PXL_20231217_001429358.jpg
PXL_20231216_232033119.jpg
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just ordered one from REI and planning on picking up Tuesday. I know the L version fit from other posts and was hoping the XL would. Great to know I will be driving back with it!

OP
OP
SDskibum

SDskibum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Clubs

I have the same box and concur it's a good fit. I started with the cross bars on the front position (since it was easier to load the box there), but there was definitely more wind noise (at least for the driver) with it in the front position. The rear position (where you have it) is the way to go. It's not that much harder to load back there and, with the suspension in a standard or a higher position, it is easy to stand on the rear tire to arrange things. I have taken many road trips since I bought my R1S in April. Just for grins, I kept track of my efficiency & avg speed (per the trip computer) for most of the "segments" to/from/between charging stops and there is not much difference with the box or without it. This is across many different trips and days and weather conditions and elevation changes, etc., so it is not a scientific side-by-side test, but in my observations they are pretty close. (Sometimes the efficiency with the roof box was higher than the "no box/no crossbar" configuration. This doesn't make sense to me, but there were other variables at play.) Bottom line: I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for this info. Good to know that the box doesn't seem to have much impact on efficiency.

I had heard others mention that the front position creates more noise, which was the main reason I put it in the rear location. Using the rear wheel as a step actually works well. I also think it just looks better mounted in the rear position, but I'm sure most people don't care at all about that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SDskibum

SDskibum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Clubs

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I just ordered one from REI and planning on picking up Tuesday. I know the L version fit from other posts and was hoping the XL would. Great to know I will be driving back with it!
No problem! You'll be very happy with it. It looks great and it has a massive amount of space inside!

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

Never had a cargo box before, so curious, may I ask what stuff you all carry in there?

(If the question is too personal, I apologize)

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Don't think I would ever need one, but that is a very nice looking box. Matches very well with your color truck. Thank you for reviewing it and posting photos!

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
This is great info. I have the same box, but an earlier iteration and plan to use it when my R1S is delivered. The location your box is in may not be the best for access, but it's better in terms of aerodynamics, at least as I understand things. On my current vehicle, a Telluride, the crossbars can only fit in one location, and when he Thule is on top, the front hangs over the windshield. Costs me 1 or 2 mpg. In the past, I had a Volvo XC-90 and could mount it rearward, similar to where you have it on the R1S, and saw no reduction in mpg. Anecdotal, but real.

I use one of these to use to help with accessing the box. Easy to fit to just about any car and takes up very little space when not needed.

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702849033705

Never had a cargo box before, so curious, may I ask what stuff you all carry in there?

I use my Thule mostly during ski season. Obviously, the skis & poles go in the box, but I also put a lot of extra gear like boots and backpacks in it. When we head west for our annual trip to the Rockies, we travel with two dogs, so having the box is a godsend. It can also be very helpful during the warm months if you need to carry gear and have passengers. For me, it's an essential piece of kit but that;s obviously not be the case for everyone.

Last edited:

Acon

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Even with all the space in the R1S, with the four of us and two labs, it keeps us from stashing our bags in the interior (between legs..). Tons of room between the front trunk and the top.

Sponsored

djsider2

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have a much older Atlantis model so I hope that fits like this new one does.

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
I'm about to embark on our 640mile(one way) holiday trip. First time taking an Ev on long trip. Will be using this cargo box. I set it up few days ago to test it out prior to making the trip.

I set it up towards the back so I would hear less wind noise. I think if you set it towards the front you will definitely hear more wind noise as it will be right above me.

Will track range data to see what the impact is. I usually drive 70-80mph on this trip. Planning on driving in conserve mode to get additional range.

Cargo box: X-Cargo Xtreme - 16 cu ft
Dimensions – 76”L x 32”W x 16”H

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927136231

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927150363

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927167818

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927182230

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927197170

Rivian R1T R1S Thule Motion XT XL cargo box fits well on R1S roof crossbars 1702927212828
Sponsored

Last edited: