First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LA Silver R1T
Occupation
Sales
As the proud owner of an R1T (24,877 miles), the R1S seems to be attractive as a replacement for our Model Y LR. Since I don't have an early reservation, I'm dealing with current pricing. By some measure of happenstance, the local Chevrolet dealer has a Limestone Ocean R1S (VIN 107XX) quad with 2,633 miles on the lot for $89.5k. History and condition notwithstanding, Is there any compelling reason for me to pass on the used S and just order a dual-large with a much higher VIN (and wait for several months)?
Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I would wait. Price is just too high. That is only a 5% discount over current pricing.

It is worth 5% to not have to worry about what problems the previous owner had that made them want to sell it.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Do your due diligence, but otherwise go for it. Seems priced right for market to make a reasonable offer. Plus you get to inspect it and drive it before deciding.

CTRedCanyon

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Self Employed IT
Clubs

I bought mine used from a private party. Normally I would also question the motivations of someone selling their vehicle so quickly, but I think in this case we know exactly why, people got the pre-order pricing and flipped it. It's also under the full warranty and everything I think there's minimal risk. Personally I do not regret at all getting the quad motor for the extra power especially considering the additional one year of warranty coverage.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If R1Ts went to the leasing model... Perhaps R1S will and you can capture that $7500. How long can you wait? The longer you wait, the lower the aftermarket will go as well.

Sponsored

VC_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mitsubishi 3000GT Spyder
Occupation
Worker
I bought a used R1T , no issues. Do your due diligence, but buying a used car can save you a lot of money and get you a color no longer available.

I may even get a used R1S.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
I am trying to convince my wife to allow us to do the same with our Model Y, but hard to not wait for used prices to drop more when do not have pre-price hike pricing (plus interest rates coming down as we would need a loan to cover some of it).

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I don't see any issue going for a used R1S. Here is what I would do. Number one, take a look at CarGurus or try to figure out how long the dealer has had it. The longer they've had the vehicle on their lot. The more motivated they will be to move it and offer you a lower price on it.

Second, make sure you go over the truck with a fine tooth comb. Give it a really good test drive and check all the ride heights all the different drive modes. Make sure it operates properly. Make sure there are no drivability issues and check over the exterior and make sure there are no issues that need correction.

With that said, Rivian has a 12,000 mi adjustment warranty which will cover things like balancing alignment, adjusting for panel gaps fit and finish that kind of thing. You will still get all of the original warranties so this could be a pretty good deal but I would look to get that vehicle for a few thousand less.

Lastly, to compare it to current MSRP, remember that current prices are the MSRP Rivian is charging plus about $2,000 in destination and doc fees. If you get it used, you're not going to be paying those $2,000 in fees.

With all that said, there are some downsides with going used as well. You're not going to get the 7-day return. And you're going to be the second owner. So if you ever go to resell it, it's not going to be a one owner vehicle. They're also giving up the lemon law in most states because in many states the lemon law does not cover used vehicles. You still have protection under Magnuson moss though on used vehicles. Lastly, if you're financing, you will pay a slightly higher interest rate on a used title versus a new title vehicle. Shop around if your financing because many credit unions will give you the new car terms if the vehicle is less than one year old and has less than 7,500 mi.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I'd check the RIDE menu for main battery pack health... you never know.

Jayburgess89

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
As the proud owner of an R1T (24,877 miles), the R1S seems to be attractive as a replacement for our Model Y LR. Since I don't have an early reservation, I'm dealing with current pricing. By some measure of happenstance, the local Chevrolet dealer has a Limestone Ocean R1S (VIN 107XX) quad with 2,633 miles on the lot for $89.5k. History and condition notwithstanding, Is there any compelling reason for me to pass on the used S and just order a dual-large with a much higher VIN (and wait for several months)?
I bought mine used for 80k with 8k of miles. Got a great deal for sure. It was from a private party of course. I think that is to high. I would think mid 80's is a good price with less that 10k of miles. I used KeySavvy to manage the deal which is great they handle the title work.

Sponsored

Jayburgess89

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
I also got a loan for some of it at 4.5% through FedChoice Credit Union. Heard about it on the Tesla Forums when I was going to buy a Model X and got the Rivian instead which I'm so happy I did. Amazing car will have for a long time.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Make an offer

Mayfstro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
I just bought a used R1S and love it. You can get a $10-15K discount as soon as it drives off of the lot (some even with less than 1000 miles), so I couldn’t justify the extra spend for a new one, even though I was off of the waitlist and free to buy new.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
With leasing now available on R1S you can go that route and save $7,500 with delivery in 1-2 weeks in most parts of the U.S. or buy a new dual motor as I suspect the Rivian-sourced motors will have more performance/efficiency unlocked over time as the Bosch-sourced motors are effectively end of life already. Sure, they will maintain the Bosch motors for warranty purposes but expect all new software development to go towards the Rivian Enduro dual and, allegedly upcoming, Enduro quad motors.
Sponsored