Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I see the unique tire sizes as a deal breaker for me.
Only the 21" option is currently unique. You have alternatives in the 20" and 22" sizes.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Hmmm.... Does anyone have any idea how the 22" size would affect range?
Rivian hasn't published that info yet but it is expected that they will "soon". All they have shared so far is that the 21" will have the best range, the 20" the worst and the 22" will fall in between. I expect the 22" will come closer to the 21" than the 20" given the the 20" is a much heaver AT tire. A few posters here are considering getting the 20" and then, at some point, replacing them with an equivalent sized street tire which in theory should result in even better range than the 21".

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Does rivian even have to release numbers on each tire size? Other manufacturers don’t.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

My understanding is the Rivian is even more limited than the Ioniq... And that it is limited to 1.8kW V2L vs 3.6kW of the Ioniq.

Unless the information I came across isn't accurate. Which is very likely.
Unfortunately, Rivian has not made anything official on bi-directional charging so I would take any article you read on it with a grain of salt...We can at least hope for it and for decent rates. Until then, we wait.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Unfortunately, Rivian has not made anything official on bi-directional charging so I would take any article you read on it with a grain of salt...We can at least hope for it and for decent rates. Until then, we wait.
V2L is not really bidirectional charging, but Vehicle 2 Load - or in other words 120/240V outlets.
Rivian has confirmed that the will have two 120V 15A outlets - or equal to the 3.6 kW of the Ioniq 5.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
Rivian has confirmed that the will have two 120V 15A outlets - or equal to the 3.6 kW of the Ioniq 5.
I don't believe they have confirmed the two outlets will be different circuits. It's quite possible the 15A limit will be shared across all of the outlets.

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

V2L is not really bidirectional charging, but Vehicle 2 Load - or in other words 120/240V outlets.
Sorry my mind went immediately to V2G...

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think the only thing that will keep me from being behind the wheel of an R1T this year is a rollout delay until 2022. Don't want that, but can't find anything else that makes me want to bail.

BTW, the Citrus Kool-Aid is particularly tasty...

Sponsored

filthy farmboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Toyota Tacoma
No dealbreakers so far -Biggest concern is reliability especially of the first batch of vehicles that roll off the line. I know some of the first tesla model Ss were rotten lemons and everything broke on them. I'm hoping the big bugs will get ironed out in the R1T, and the R1S will be more solid. Happy not to be at the very front of the reservation line for this reason. Second biggest issue seems like it will be service. I live way in the boonies, there's no way there will be an authorized service center on my island, so rivian is going to have to fly someone out here and wrench on it in my barn just like Tesla did in the early days. Biggest aesthetic gripe is the oval-headlight-frog-face front end. Large round headlights would have been better looking, but I really don't care how it looks as long as it DOESN'T BREAK. I wish they went a little more brutal overall, I think my ideal electric truck is half way between a Rivian and a Bollinger.

Hopper

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Green R1T, 2022 Polaris Ranger NorthStar
Occupation
Retired Executive and technical writer. Board of Directors Fly Fishers International.
No fold up rear seats or opening rear window. I’ll need to see how wide the rear doors open and whether the dog’s crate will fit on the seat.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T