Sponsored

The One Dealbreakers Thread to Rule Them All

For those that have dealbreakers, what is your NO KIDDING dealbreaker?

• Total voters

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
I don’t have any dealbreakers really. I’m certainly disappointed about a few things, like not being able to do the Max Pack with the LE, and the canning of the electrochromic roof, but none of that is enough to make me give up on Rivian.

Honestly my biggest complaint is the sheer lack of communication this close to launch.
Sponsored

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The only deal breaker for us will be lack of charging in rural Arizona, where we do most of our camping with our trailer. Hopefully Rivian and EA cover these areas in the near future. I am keeping my reservation until I find out more information on charging. It may just be a slightly more delayed gratification, with which I am ok.

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
I have no dealbreakers either, mainly because I need a vehicle!

I was disappointed they won’t be ready for the 400 mile R1S at launch, and I didn’t really care about the 5/7 seat controversy since my kids are now old enough they don’t ride with me anymore.

I use Apple CarPlay daily with my current car. I’ll be interested to see how Rivian integrates smart phones, but I’m also willing to give them a chance.

I’m also interested to see how they handle test drives and color choices as we get closer. I was hoping to go to the Boulder event last year, pre-Covid. The lack of communication just seems odd. I think a lot of things are still moving targets for them, despite being months away from launch.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Dealbreakers:

For the R1T & R1S, lack of bi-directional charging is a dealbreaker. (Even new Hyundai's offer this!)

For R1T, how 2nd row seat doesn't offer flat platform for pets & pet carriers is a mild dealbreaker.
For R1S, back row seats don't fold flat after flat floors were promised & website still says "folds flat". This is a big disappointment more than a dealbreaker.

In general, exterior and interior color choices are fairly pedestrian. Interior design lacks layering of materials and colors. Lack of a well orchestrated PR campaign, direct marketing and frequency of customer touches via the Internet are surprising in this day and age.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
For the R1T & R1S, lack of bi-directional charging is a dealbreaker. (Even new Hyundai's offer this!)
Which Hyundai is V2G capable? As far as I'm aware only Mitsubishi Outlander and Nissan Leaf are V2G capable vehicles.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jimcgov3

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

or the R1T & R1S, lack of bi-directional charging is a dealbreaker. (Even new Hyundai's offer this!)
Are you referring specifically to the grid or to other vehicles?

For R1S, back row seats don't fold flat after flat floors were promised & website still says "folds flat". This is a big disappointment more than a dealbreaker.
While the rear seats do NOT fold flat...nearly flat is approximately 3º or 3-4cm of elevation change from the lowest(hinge side) to the highest point of the seatback.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The new Ionic 5 EV, the Hyundai electric sub-brand, has bi-directional charging. It's featured in the TV ads that are airing. (The new 2022 Tucson plugin hybrid may have it too.) In Northern California where I live, PG&E power failures are common. Having backup power parked in the garage would be hugely appealing.

Neither the 2nd nor 3rd row R1S seats fold flat. Nearly flat isn't the same as flat, and it forces R1S owners to figure out a workaround, if you want a flat loading platform. Perhaps not a big deal, but surprising given that Rivian has been saying "flat" floor for a couple of years.

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
The new Ionic 5 EV, the Hyundai electric sub-brand, has bi-directional charging. It's featured in the TV ads that are airing. (The new 2022 Tucson plugin hybrid may have it too.) In Northern California where I live, PG&E power failures are common. Having backup power parked in the garage would be hugely appealing.
Got ya. I see it will basically have an outlet providing up to 3.5 kW vs Rivian's ~1.6kW. It will also support 220V. Nice.
Personally it doesn't make much difference for me as I'm not in a market for a compact hatchback.

Runs_4_beer

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Audi Q7, F350
The deal breaker for me is lack of payload sufficient to haul my 25foot airstream and under 200 miles while towing. The 300 mile pack I think has enough payload for me, but the 400 mile pack is unknown.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
R1S: Access to third row with car seats installed in second. If the seats are the fold and tumble kind instead of a tip and slide, it will be a deal breaker for me. Fingers crossed the chat agents who said the seats were 40-degree tip and slide had the right information.

I am also hoping the bench design will be changed to a 35/30/35 from the 60/40 and that Rivian will follow Acura in the new MDX and offer a removable middle seat, but these would not be dealbreakers.

Lack of CarPlay will be an annoyance, but not a dealbreaker in my case.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
Waiting on warranty info, a test drive, headroom check and gut check on interior as my dealbreakers. I want the 400 mi pack but honestly don't want to wait nor pay 10K for it...

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Right now I do not have deal breakers, but voted my biggest gripes.

Removable roof and 400+ Max Pack are absolute musts.

SleepySheepie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, FJ40, MG TF1500, Model S, Lotus
Rear seats on the R1T not folding to a platform.

Warranty, test drive.

I commute about an hour round trip daily with the dogs. They have to fit.

Reactions: TUD

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
My 2 cents: Touchscreen-heavy controls, without physical backup.

I cannot count the number of times I've gotten into a truck wearing thick gloves, or with wet/mudy/dirty hands, and needed to control functions of the truck. Sure I could go through a whole rigamarole of taking off gloves or drying/cleaning my hands, but that's not always practical.

Rivians are supposed to be capable off road vehicles. They need more physical controls if they are going to work off road or in bad weather (especially on the east coast/northeast).

ColoradoRivian

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
This is silly enough I hope it isn't an issue, but a 2021-2022 luxury vehicle without driver's seat memory with at least 2 memory slots would be pretty tough to swallow.
Sponsored