Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

Embarking on the Mojave Road journey with my R1T was nothing short of exhilarating. Starting the adventure in Los Angeles, we traced the path of the 15 to the 40, immersing ourselves into the trail from the charming town of Goffs, CA. Ahead of the off-road odyssey, a strategic pit stop at the Rivian chargers in Barstow with a charge of 70%, while a subsequent top-up at an Electrify America charger in Goffs elevated our battery level to a robust 90%, setting the stage for an electrifying off-road experience.

The Mojave Road, a blend of sandy expanses and rocky terrain, threw a variety of challenges our way. Deep ruts and off-camber sections tested the R1T's mettle, but true to Rivian's reputation, it performed admirably, clocking in around 70 miles on the rugged dirt trails. Coming from a lifted 4Runner background, the transition was unique — not necessarily better or worse, just different. One undeniable standout, however, was the R1T's commitment to environmental responsibility, embodying a superior rendition of "leave no trace."

In the evening's serenity at camp, an unexpected dance of unlocking doors and flickering headlights played out, swiftly resolved by the discovery of the Rivian's camp mode. With this ingenious feature, the truck gracefully adapted to our movements, enhancing the overall camping experience. As the night unfolded, the camp speaker joined the scene, casting a musical aura around the crackling fire. The R1T, in its entirety, proved to be a delightful companion in the wilderness, leaving an indelible mark of satisfaction.

Anticipation already stirs for the next off-road escapade, and Coyote Flats beckons on the horizon. The journey with the R1T promises not just a ride but an exploration, an experience that transcends the ordinary and solidifies the bond between man, machine, and nature. Can't wait to unveil the next chapter of this electrifying adventure.

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3407.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3433.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3436.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3442.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report IMG_4209.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3497.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3497 2

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report IMG_4218.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report IMG_4220.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S The Mojave Road_Trip Report _02a3529.JPG
Sponsored

SurfnBike

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TMY
Clubs

Beautiful photos and well written. I would like to know more about your range and battery performance. Did you record your kWh/mi? How many miles of range did you lose overnight and what were the temps? Were you out for just one night? I lost on average 4% per night on my last 200 mile offroad trip due to temperature and vampire loss, which really contributed to my range anxiety and made the trip less enjoyable. However, it is quite something else offroading in a silent vehicle and made up for it. It turns out that camp mode doesn't help conserve electricity by any significant amount, it only keeps the lights off--wifi, hot spot, bluetooth, and everything else is still on, and the car makes noises throughout the night at random intervals if you're sleeping next to it on a cot!

Last edited:

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

Wow -- beautiful pictures and nice report! Thanks!

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Excellent write up and photos! Thanks for sharing!

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Want to know more. This seems like a really cool trip. How long did it take you? How many KWh consumed?

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Coming from a lifted 4Runner background, the transition was unique — not necessarily better or worse, just different.
Different, indeed. Looks like you mostly dealt with sand, but one of the weirdest ones to get used to is that you can just drive over a lot of stuff that you'd have to put your wheels over in the 4Runner since there's no pumpkin hanging down the centerline of the truck. I really love being able to drive through the trees hearing nothing save for the crunch of gravel under the tires and being able to hear the sounds of the birds, insects, etc instead of the roar of the engine in low-range.

OP
OP
Ramble On Rivian

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

Beautiful photos and well written. I would like to know more about your range and battery performance. Did you record your kWh/mi? How many miles of range did you lose overnight and what were the temps? Were you out for just one night? I lost on average 4% per night on my last 200 mile offroad trip due to temperature and vampire loss, which really contributed to my range anxiety and made the trip less enjoyable. However, it is quite something else offroading in a silent vehicle and made up for it. It turns out that camp mode doesn't help conserve electricity by any significant amount, it only keeps the lights off--wifi, hot spot, bluetooth, and everything else is still on, and the car makes noises throughout the night at random intervals if you're sleeping next to it on a cot!
Unfortunately I didn’t keep track of any data. I did have a dip in range when I switched to all terrain mode. The efficiency went down. Didn’t seem to loose much overnight and we were in the high twenties. Camp mode kept everything relatively quiet and choosing “Stay Off” under Energy Use probably helped reduce the vampire lost overnight

OP
OP
Ramble On Rivian

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

Want to know more. This seems like a really cool trip. How long did it take you? How many KWh consumed?
We covered around 70 miles in the dirt over 2 days/nights. We entered from Goffs and exited in Baker. I had plenty of range available so I do not charge until Barstow. If and I do mean if I remember correctly I started with 85% and entered highway 15 with about 60%. So range anxiety was low.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Excellent. Went to Mojave a couple years ago for the first time, but it was in the X. I definitely want to go back in the R1T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ramble On Rivian

Ramble On Rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Photographer
Clubs

Excellent. Went to Mojave a couple years ago for the first time, but it was in the X. I definitely want to go back in the R1T.
Yes, it’s kind of a right of passage and there is so much history on that trail. You could spend months exploring the area

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I will probably do a trip this winter. A buddy of mine goes out regularly and is challenging me and the Rivian. The only question is T or S. I think S and car camp.

Careychastain

First Name
Carey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MBZ GLE450
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Embarking on the Mojave Road journey with my R1T was nothing short of exhilarating. Starting the adventure in Los Angeles, we traced the path of the 15 to the 40, immersing ourselves into the trail from the charming town of Goffs, CA. Ahead of the off-road odyssey, a strategic pit stop at the Rivian chargers in Barstow with a charge of 70%, while a subsequent top-up at an Electrify America charger in Goffs elevated our battery level to a robust 90%, setting the stage for an electrifying off-road experience.

The Mojave Road, a blend of sandy expanses and rocky terrain, threw a variety of challenges our way. Deep ruts and off-camber sections tested the R1T's mettle, but true to Rivian's reputation, it performed admirably, clocking in around 70 miles on the rugged dirt trails. Coming from a lifted 4Runner background, the transition was unique — not necessarily better or worse, just different. One undeniable standout, however, was the R1T's commitment to environmental responsibility, embodying a superior rendition of "leave no trace."

In the evening's serenity at camp, an unexpected dance of unlocking doors and flickering headlights played out, swiftly resolved by the discovery of the Rivian's camp mode. With this ingenious feature, the truck gracefully adapted to our movements, enhancing the overall camping experience. As the night unfolded, the camp speaker joined the scene, casting a musical aura around the crackling fire. The R1T, in its entirety, proved to be a delightful companion in the wilderness, leaving an indelible mark of satisfaction.

Anticipation already stirs for the next off-road escapade, and Coyote Flats beckons on the horizon. The journey with the R1T promises not just a ride but an exploration, an experience that transcends the ordinary and solidifies the bond between man, machine, and nature. Can't wait to unveil the next chapter of this electrifying adventure.

_02a3407.JPG

_02a3433.JPG

_02a3436.JPG

_02a3442.JPG

IMG_4209.JPG

_02a3497.JPG

_02a3497 2.jpg

IMG_4218.JPG

IMG_4220.JPG

_02a3529.JPG
Can you reveal the map you used? I’d like to order. Thanks and great trip write up!