First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
I don't really have a real good reason for saying no, but just looking at that makes me nervous. I don't think I'd ever use one of these. I can imagine the stress on the hitch is pretty high if you were to hit a big bump going too fast. I'll stick with trailering my bikes when the need arises - always feels like the safest option to me (I'm not a fan of bed loading bikes, and the one time recently I had to transport a bike it wasn't able to be started so I couldn't ride it up into the bed. Even tho I have a bed ramp I decided to opt for the trailer rather than risk my, or the truck's, safety during the load/unload.)
Hitch should be able to do 1100lb easily with a towing capacity of 11k lb. I wouldn't do harbor freight but Joe Hauler would be totally fine:
https://www.joehauler.com/
Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't really have a real good reason for saying no, but just looking at that makes me nervous. I don't think I'd ever use one of these. I can imagine the stress on the hitch is pretty high if you were to hit a big bump going too fast. I'll stick with trailering my bikes when the need arises - always feels like the safest option to me (I'm not a fan of bed loading bikes, and the one time recently I had to transport a bike it wasn't able to be started so I couldn't ride it up into the bed. Even tho I have a bed ramp I decided to opt for the trailer rather than risk my, or the truck's, safety during the load/unload.)
Yeah, it looks super sketchy, but I assume it's no different that a trailer with a 500-600 lbs hitch weight. My main reasons for not wanting to trailer is:

1) no real room to store it
2) charging issues
3) if I leave the truck for a few days for a ride I'm limited to where I can park and leave it

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I don't know, it's not about the resting weight but more of where the force goes when you rock the resting weight up and down. With a trailer, some of that up/down force is taken by the trailer and the wheels. In this setup all that force goes onto the hitch. I'm not saying it would be a problem, but I imagine it could potentially be a problem. Either way just seems suboptimal to me.

OP
OP

loudog3114

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla P100D, 98 TJ, Silverado SS, 18 Camaro 2SS
Occupation
IT
Yeah, it looks super sketchy, but I assume it's no different that a trailer with a 500-600 lbs hitch weight. My main reasons for not wanting to trailer is:

1) no real room to store it
2) charging issues
3) if I leave the truck for a few days for a ride I'm limited to where I can park and leave it
Agreed for all the same reasons... and trailering generally blows. I've had motorcycle trailers bounce a good foot or two in either direction when going around big bends on highways with bad surface conditions (so everywhere on 95). Not my idea of a good time.

Sponsored

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Occupation
Engineer/Retired Military
Might be better for aero than a trailer (and cheaper and easier to store). I still don't have the truck so have not tested anything, but my bike happens to have the largest wheelbase of any ADV (Desert X) at 63.3" and I'm thinking might be tough for the short bed. Looking at alternatives ahead of a trip in the spring if the bed doesn't work.
I agree with the above comments on this setup making me a bit nervous. Still, for short trips seems it would be MUCH easier to load and with good straps, might be okay? My Africa Twin seems pretty wide for this application but I guess most ADV bikes are similar. May be more applicable to straight up dirt bikes? Either way, I just see dings and scratches in the tailgates' future...

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
Might be better for aero than a trailer (and cheaper and easier to store). I still don't have the truck so have not tested anything, but my bike happens to have the largest wheelbase of any ADV (Desert X) at 63.3" and I'm thinking might be tough for the short bed. Looking at alternatives ahead of a trip in the spring if the bed doesn't work.
They work fine. Just get a good quality one and don't exceed the recommended weight for the carrier. Make sure you also get good anti rattle clamp. That's key. Rangewise. The R1T is soooo aero sensitive for range. My 200lb aluminum 4x8 cedar side trailer destroys range. But i've hauled my Zero DS with my hitch carrier and it wasn't bad hit to range at all. Don't remember exactly the hit I took just remember being pleased it wasn't bad.

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
They work fine. Just get a good quality one and don't exceed the recommended weight for the carrier. Make sure you also get good anti rattle clamp. That's key. Rangewise. The R1T is soooo aero sensitive for range. My 200lb aluminum 4x8 cedar side trailer destroys range. But i've hauled my Zero DS with my hitch carrier and it wasn't bad hit to range at all. Don't remember exactly the hit I took just remember being pleased it wasn't bad.
What is the weight of your Zero DS? Also, does it carry it's weight low? My ATAS is very top-heavy. I would be concerned about the "straight up/down" nature of the straps...doesn't seem like the angle would be adequate to keep ~550 lbs of top-heavy bike upright under any emergency maneuvers (i.e. heavy braking = contact with tailgate). May be unfounded but those are my concerns...have you experienced anything similar?

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What is the weight of your Zero DS? Also, does it carry it's weight low? My ATAS is very top-heavy. I would be concerned about the "straight up/down" nature of the straps...doesn't seem like the angle would be adequate to keep ~550 lbs of top-heavy bike upright under any emergency maneuvers (i.e. heavy braking = contact with tailgate). May be unfounded but those are my concerns...have you experienced anything similar?
Curb Weight (including fluids)​
187.0 kg (412.3 pounds)

Found the above curb weight on the Zero DS from here. I couldn't find the dry weight however

kidding :)

Ravenron

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Curb Weight (including fluids)​
187.0 kg (412.3 pounds)

Found the above curb weight on the Zero DS from here. I couldn't find the dry weight however

kidding :)
Copy, thanks...I was mainly looking for "feel" of where the weight is distributed. I expect it sits really low in the bike making the impact of emergency maneuvers coupled with very vertical straps maybe less likely to allow the bike to impact the tailgate? I feel like my Africa Twin would have more of a "pendulum" effect and overpower/stretch the straps enough to get in trouble.

Sponsored

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Copy, thanks...I was mainly looking for "feel" of where the weight is distributed. I expect it sits really low in the bike making the impact of emergency maneuvers coupled with very vertical straps maybe less likely to allow the bike to impact the tailgate? I feel like my Africa Twin would have more of a "pendulum" effect and overpower/stretch the straps enough to get in trouble.
My bike, Desert X, is about the same. It looks like the bars would be above the tailgate, so really just looking at the distance from the front crash bars and the tailgate (no idea what that would be for me). However, the Harbor Freight one (I know people shitting on them) is so cheap that I'd be ok trying it and if I don't feel comfortable just keeping it for a future dirt bike that I may or may not ever own.

Last edited:

Kuro-Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1969 BMW 2002
I think it'll be fine if property tied/ratchet down.

Mousetrap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Thanks for the pictures & info - I saw this thread when I was getting ready to pick up my new bike and it was helpful.

Successfully loaded a KTM Super Adventure S in the bed, plenty of space!

Rivian R1T R1S Motorcycle Hauling Trip with R1T -- Good news for the bike folks! 1290-riv

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
If that KTM goes in there my Pan America would probably fit.
Sponsored