Sponsored

The Count's not so hot take (day 1 after R1S delivery)

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
oh, and I guess we're keeping the R1S for now as the GLS is sold.

another thing, the screen renders tractors I pass as semi-trucks/trailers. Really disappointed the radar system can;t tell the difference between a cabover and a John Deer 7R.
Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
minor updates:

today I have the fan noise from the front of the vehicle. Seems loud and it started after parking in the garage after a 60 miles round-trip in 7 degree F weather driving in conserve mode.

Also, based on how fast my range/charge drained I'm beginning to think this is not a good vehicle to drive unless it is above 40 degrees F.

The wood fracture I posted above, upon closer inspection, appears to be a piece of plastic shim to 1) "repair" a prior split in the wood or 2) in anticipation that the wood will split. Either way it is not so noticeable unless in direct sunlight.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Picked up our new R1S at the Chicago Service Center yesterday. I went over everything pretty carefully after reading through posts here and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build. No unevenness of gaps, everything looked and felt tight. And while it's possible that I'm just a lot less finicky, I thought it rode very well. Not as tight/smooth as my wife's old Genesis, but pretty impressive for a 7,000 lb vehicle. Driving up to Wisconsin Christmas Eve and my main concern is the near-total absence of charging along our route. Will have to top it off before we leave (it's about 140 miles round-trip but all the posts here about reduced range in cold weather have me spooked).

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Picked up our new R1S at the Chicago Service Center yesterday. I went over everything pretty carefully after reading through posts here and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the build. No unevenness of gaps, everything looked and felt tight. And while it's possible that I'm just a lot less finicky, I thought it rode very well. Not as tight/smooth as my wife's old Genesis, but pretty impressive for a 7,000 lb vehicle. Driving up to Wisconsin Christmas Eve and my main concern is the near-total absence of charging along our route. Will have to top it off before we leave (it's about 140 miles round-trip but all the posts here about reduced range in cold weather have me spooked).
Even some of the L3 chargers are not exactly fast. But it is all part of the adventure, right?

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Maybe an incentive to remove your 100% charged vehicle from the space? Start charging $$/min until it’s disconnected. Gotta give people a reason to modify their behavior.
I'm not sure how this is related to not wanting to talk to people at a public charger.

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I'm not sure how this is related to not wanting to talk to people at a public charger.
Yep we’re way off topic. But if people actually moved their vehicles it would help solve the problem of talking to others. Less vehicles, less people.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

today I have the fan noise from the front of the vehicle. Seems loud and it started after parking in the garage after a 60 miles round-trip in 7 degree F weather driving in conserve mode.
Did this start after the latest software update? I've noticed something similar. Basically the fan wouldn't shut off if the truck was unlocked or plugged in. But if i unplugged and locked it, the fan shut off.

I think a deep sleep fixed it. I drove to a work party and parked outside for about 3 hours away from any keys/phones. I'll know more when i check the charging summary tomorrow morning.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Did this start after the latest software update? I've noticed something similar. Basically the fan wouldn't shut off if the truck was unlocked or plugged in. But if i unplugged and locked it, the fan shut off.

I think a deep sleep fixed it. I drove to a work party and parked outside for about 3 hours away from any keys/phones. I'll know more when i check the charging summary tomorrow morning.
yes. hard reset stopped it.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
same fan noise today so I did a hard restart... and the noise started again upon reboot... I hope what ever is running isn't just on the 12v system or I'm going to wake up to a brick. FWIW, it is parked in a 50 degree F garage and charging (L1)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
A few days after delivery we did the virtual POA for the registration and today the plates, title, and registration were delivered via Fedex! (so 20 days from delivery)

I had been worried after hearing about others' long waits for Rivian's third party registration partner.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
sadly the DMV considers Limestone to be "grey"

time to file a complaint with the DMV!!!

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Right, but there are a bunch of 50kW chargers nearby this EA station, so if you can only charge at 50kW you shouldn't be sitting on the 350kW charger.

I even try to get the 150kW over the 350 because I know I can only get up to 200ish and that's only for a few minutes before it drops below 150.
Sigh.

A 150kW car sitting on the 350kW stall charging to 100%. Very typical at the Madison EA station

Rivian R1T R1S The Count's not so hot take (day 1 after R1S delivery) PXL_20230106_224957745

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
first car wash today. I took a bucket just in case but no leakage!!!

900 miles in and all is mostly well.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
two words: not bad...

the Count's not so hot take:
  1. first thing you should do is disable the lane assist (it is very aggressive and misreads lane borders).
  2. second thing to do: if you're not using the 3rd row put those seats down or else you're vision is blocked by the 3rd row headrests.
  3. With aplomb and road 21s, it cut through 6 inches of snow on my unplowed drive as well as the 20 inch high county snow plow bank where the drive meets the road.
  4. ride quality: soft and meandering on 4-lane roads 60-80 mph; nimble and responsive on curving country roads.
  5. noise: no more wind noise than our GLS or F-150. The motor sounds will take getting used to but are not terrible. However, there is a lot more noise than any other vehicle I've owned coming from salt, slush, and road gravel into the wheel wells.
  6. panel gaps: nothing too bad but not quite as tied down as I would expect for a "luxury" brand.
  7. Chicago SC delivery team was amazing.

the Count's minor gripes:
  • R1S rendering on the driver's screen is not the color of the vehicle.
  • fixed headrest (1975 called and also suggests a bench front seat).
  • L1 charging, holy hell... I assume it takes a while for the software to learn my house but in the first 55 minutes it lost 4 miles.
I trust it did not take you very long to learn that these vehicles were not meant to be charged via L1... Unless it is for storage lol.
Sponsored