Sponsored

The Count's not so hot take (day 1 after R1S delivery)

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
FWIW, my Lightning order process has just opened up.
You are having a busy year. Are you planning on keeping the R1S and Lightening? Is the plan to replace the F150H?
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

how's the one at the cell phone lot at the airport?
It is only 62kW according to plugshare. All the other ones in Madison are 50kW it looks like.

EA at Walmart has 2 "350kW" and 2 "150kW" chargers. I use quotes because the last 4 times I've been there the max I can pull is about 128kW.

The parking is very tight for rivians, more designed for the tiny evs. Sometimes it is better to pull in from the back spots.

And sadly people have very bad charging etiquette. Last time I was there 2 small cars were there before i got there. I charged from 15-85% and left, they were both still there. Not quite sure how that maths out, unless they had a bad charging session that dropped to 20kW and don't know any better to restart the session.

I've had other people say they have to charge to 100% to get to their destination, which was where i was coming from. They just don't utilize all the apps needed to road trip in the current charging situation. There were 2 chargers along the route they can use...

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
You are having a busy year. Are you planning on keeping the R1S and Lightening? Is the plan to replace the F150H?
I haven't decided yet. Originally I planned for the Lightning to replace the F-150 but now I'm leaning toward keeping it and the R1S. I'm not sure I want to be left with >50 year old cars, an uncomfortable 911, and two electric trucks. Keeping the F-150h gives me some flexibility.

I also have a R1T preorder. After a few days with the R1S I am pretty sure I'd prefer the Lightning or my current F-150h to the R1T unless I wait for the max pack.

Have I mentioned I am terrible at making decisions?

Last edited:

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And sadly people have very bad charging etiquette. Last time I was there 2 small cars were there before i got there. I charged from 15-85% and left, they were both still there. Not quite sure how that maths out, unless they had a bad charging session that dropped to 20kW and don't know any better to restart the session.

I've had other people say they have to charge to 100% to get to their destination, which was where i was coming from. They just don't utilize all the apps needed to road trip in the current charging situation. There were 2 chargers along the route they can use...
Sometimes smaller battery cars really do need to charge deeper into the pack. My MINI only has a 32 kWh pack (28.6 kWh usable) and a realistic highway range of right around 100 miles. I don't even try road tripping the car because there are plenty of hops between chargers that just aren't possible without traveling at dangerously slow speeds on 70-75 mph highways. On the rare occasions I need to DCFC, I'll go to 95% if I need it, but my car only charges at 50 kW and will stay above 20 kW into the 90+% realm...and still only takes around 30-40 min from low state of charge. Now people with 60-100 kWh of usable capacity charging over 80%...that should really chap your ass.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

On the rare occasions I need to DCFC, I'll go to 95% if I need it, but my car only charges at 50 kW and will stay above 20 kW into the 90+% realm...and still only takes around 30-40 min from low state of charge.
Right, but there are a bunch of 50kW chargers nearby this EA station, so if you can only charge at 50kW you shouldn't be sitting on the 350kW charger.

I even try to get the 150kW over the 350 because I know I can only get up to 200ish and that's only for a few minutes before it drops below 150.

Sponsored

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Haven't tried it, good call out though.
I used the walmart L3 yesterday to make sure my R1S module worked and it was fine but I learned something...

when charging stay in the vehicle unless you enjoy talking to other people. I learned years ago I am not a people person. Well it seems EV drivers are or at least think other people are interesting in chatting at the pump.

JeremyMKE

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna, 2001 Yamaha Vino, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Riviot
I used the walmart L3 yesterday to make sure my R1S module worked and it was fine but I learned something...

when charging stay in the vehicle unless you enjoy talking to other people. I learned years ago I am not a people person. Well it seems EV drivers are or at least think other people are interesting in chatting at the pump.
That’s a good call if that’s who you are. The Rivian attracts questions and curiosity.

I would be one of those people chatting you up. However I like to believe I can read when a person wants to be left alone But mistakes have been made. ;)

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Oh no, public charging anxiety here we come.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
+1 for the "Don't take a charger way more powerful than your max charge rate" - unless there are no other options.

I haven't seen that problem too much in my area, but the closest L3 to me is also a Walmart and it's REALLY bad about ICEs being parked in the charge spots since they're very close to the entrance. I've yet to go there and not have at least 1 ICE driver taking up 1 or 2 of the 4 spots for the chargers.

I really wish there were something that could be done about it. A number posted on the charger I can call to have those d-bags towed. Instead my tactic has been to pull up as close to them as possible, plug in, then just stare at them without stopping until they either feel enough shame to leave (this honestly works very often) or decide they want to run their mouths (I've given a few people a good ass chewing when they made comments about me staring 😆).

Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Yeah you'll get questions every time.

At the Stevens Point Hyundai charger I typically give the show and tell to a salesperson each time I stop.

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
oh, and I guess we're keeping the R1S for now as the GLS is sold.

another thing, the screen renders tractors I pass as semi-trucks/trailers. Really disappointed the radar system can;t tell the difference between a cabover and a John Deer 7R.

skigramps

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S 2023 Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Retired
LOL, only here in Wisconsin…….very funny

OP
OP
Count Orlok

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
SMFH

this crack was not there yesterday...

Rivian R1T R1S The Count's not so hot take (day 1 after R1S delivery) Enw9N31

Last edited:

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
+1 for the "Don't take a charger way more powerful than your max charge rate" - unless there are no other options.

I haven't seen that problem too much in my area, but the closest L3 to me is also a Walmart and it's REALLY bad about ICEs being parked in the charge spots since they're very close to the entrance. I've yet to go there and not have at least 1 ICE driver taking up 1 or 2 of the 4 spots for the chargers.

I really wish there were something that could be done about it. A number posted on the charger I can call to have those d-bags towed. Instead my tactic has been to pull up as close to them as possible, plug in, then just stare at them without stopping until they either feel enough shame to leave (this honestly works very often) or decide they want to run their mouths (I've given a few people a good ass chewing when they made comments about me staring 😆).
Speak softly and carry a tow strap
Sponsored