OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
I've driven the R1T twice, both times jumping from my Model 3 into the truck. I've never noticed the engine noise in the R1T. Not to say it doesn't have it, but just that it never was anything that jumped out at me. On the other hand, my M3 does make a high-pitched whine when I jump on it, but after a while I don't notice that either.
Check out the video at time stamp I linked above. It's not just drivetrain whine, there's some artificial element too. It's subtle and I actually like it, and I typically hate any fake noises. The Model 3 noise is maybe 1/4th as loud and is just drivetrain.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Check out the video at time stamp I linked above. It's not just drivetrain whine, there's some artificial element too. It's subtle and I actually like it, and I typically hate any fake noises. The Model 3 noise is maybe 1/4th as loud and is just drivetrain.
There is no artificial noise pumped into the R1T.

hroussel

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3 perf, (R1T DMP reserved)
Also a Tesla owner - 2021 Model S Long Range. Just took a test drive in the R1T equipped with the 22" wheels.

1. Sound System - Very impressed with the Meridian. At least on par with the Model S, perhaps a richer sound in the R1T.

2. Ground Clearance - My pet concern about the Model S is the low ground clearance for potholes, curbs, etc. Obviously no problem in the R1T.

3. Handling / Performance - No roll in the R1T, incredible for a truck. Noticed the same points others have about momentum - the R1T does not have the same immediate response to accelerator / steering input. It is still very precise in steering and it matches the Model S for acceleration after the first 30' and may exceed it until you hit the limiter (my guess), based on reported numbers. "Soft" in the R1T is a much more comfortable ride than Comfort in the S. I noticed in "Stiff" a forward-back motion over bumps, etc. More noticeable in High regen v. Standard. I think this relates to EV's not coasting. The motors are always engaged, so you feel a shift forward or back when you hit road imperfections. You feel it a bit in Soft, but it is much less pronounced. The suspension is dealing with 7000 lbs., so I'm sure that is a good part of it.

4. Shifter - Tough to go from the S (swipe up on the touchscreen for Drive, swipe down for Reverse) to the R1T stalk. I prefer the stalk for shifting.

5. Interior - Fit and finish is top notch. Seats (front and back) are comfortable with plenty of room.

6. Storage - Gear Tunnel is great and the Tonneau Cover worked flawlessly in the test truck I drove. Light rain may have helped that. Bed was dry.

Convinced me that buying the R1T is the right choice. I will be keeping the Model S.
What about noise level? I've seen opinions all over the place on this. Is the R1T quieter than your S?

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
I have had the pleasure of owning a Model S for roughly 5 years now and the R1T for maybe two months and 2k miles.

The S is quick. You feel like you are in a sports coupe immediately. 5 years later, I still marvel at how well it responds and handles in day to day driving.

In comparison, the R1T feels fast but not quick. You can hammer the accelerator but in day to day driving it feels much less spirited. Don't get me wrong, it's a pleasure to drive and as it is a truck, it's performance and speed are incredible - it's just heavier and that pedal is "mushier" which changes how it feels when you accelerate.

The R1T is a fast truck and can do so many things off-road but it's not a sports coupe. Fun to have both.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Ah that's surprising. Well then it just happens to sound like a space ship naturally!
Yep. Unique sound to say the least! I kind of think of it like the supercharger whine of the EV world.

OP
OP

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wrangler, Tesla Model 3
Yep. Unique sound to say the least! I kind of think of it like the supercharger whine of the EV world.
Yep! And I hate most of the other EV fake noises but was a big fan of the Rivian

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
The S is quieter on all season tires. A little closer on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires, but still quieter. I was struck by how quiet the R1T is for a truck.

This was on the 22" tires. I suspect you have more tire noise with the 20" all terrain.

messinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Tech bro
Tesla has noise. It's just that if you are over 25 you can't hear it.
My first X had dual induction motors. I heard nothing and thought nothing about it until I saw people complaining about whine on the boards, I asked my son. His response was "You can't hear that?"

My current X has one induction and one PM motor. I can hear the cogging from the PM. It's at a much, much lower frequency, It is cogging noise that is being reported in the Rivians. They have PM motors.
For those that can't hear it, the noise is like eeᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉᵉ. Based on youtube tests its like 14 kHz.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
I would guess that it some of the delay might be the weight difference between the two.
Based on the bazillions of reviews I've read and watched, it seems to be software controlled/throttled --which makes sense.

Sponsored

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have had the pleasure of owning a Model S for roughly 5 years now and the R1T for maybe two months and 2k miles.

The S is quick. You feel like you are in a sports coupe immediately. 5 years later, I still marvel at how well it responds and handles in day to day driving.

In comparison, the R1T feels fast but not quick. You can hammer the accelerator but in day to day driving it feels much less spirited. Don't get me wrong, it's a pleasure to drive and as it is a truck, it's performance and speed are incredible - it's just heavier and that pedal is "mushier" which changes how it feels when you accelerate.

The R1T is a fast truck and can do so many things off-road but it's not a sports coupe. Fun to have both.
If you had to get rid of either the R1T or the S, which would you choose and why?

mackgriggs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, r1t preorder, r1s preorder
OK, so in my Model Y, I only hear noise when accelerating, and the regenerative brakes. I mean, there is a very slight high pitched noise when cruising but...its negligible when compared to the tire and wind noise.

In that youtube video I can definitely hear the regen and acceleration noise (and tire squeals when he booked it at 12:45), but I guess its harder to tell in the video what the "cruising" noise is and how loud it is.

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
If you had to get rid of either the R1T or the S, which would you choose and why?
Oh, painful question… but I’m going to say that in my particular case, I would get rid of the Model S (which we are) but only because out here in Colorado I want a high clearance, snow eating machine that can haul motorcycles and be taken off road for camping. The Tesla is the more refined EV (currently) but it’s not going to get me into the hills like the R1T.

I don’t think everyone gets that, the R1T is great because it’s a 4x4 truck.

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
Tough call, if you only could have the S or R1T. Boils down to what you use if for. Commuting, inter-city travel, the S.

Hauling gear, outdoor activities, the R1T.

Taking one for a fun drive - probably the S. The instant response, high performance tires and AutoPilot would make the difference. Reverse that in inclement weather, particularly snow.

AdamUCF

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
June 2022 R1T
Trading a Corvette for a Rivian?! Yeah...not even remotely close in handling. Acceleration will be way better in the Rivian, but it won't stop as well as the Corvette. I went from test driving the R1T back into my electric MINI and started having second thoughts because the MINI was so much more nimble and light on its feet. I'm still planning to merge my 4Runner and MINI into a Rivian, but currently keeping my Corvette. That all said, the Rivian still corners better than probably any truck you'll ever find from an OEM. I romped it up a canyon and sent it into corners at close to double suggested speeds at times and it took it in stride on the ATs. I'm sure the 22s would be even more fun. But a sports car it is not when it weighs 7000 lbs.
Thank you. Yeah, I know it's a truck. I've gone truck, sports car, truck, sports car for my last 4 vehicles so I'm not unaccustomed to making the switch. I know the R1T is a truck but the comments here seemed to differ from reviews I've seen. I had ordered an ICE truck and was going to trade the Vette in for that but canceled it in favor of the Rivian (assuming I ever get it). Can't tow my boat with the corvette and just can't justify having multiple vehicles to myself. It's tethered to my lift but would like to take it other places.
Sponsored