Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Itā€™ll be nice to have access to a charging network that isnā€™t the hot garbage that Electrify America is.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Anyone knows the rates per kWh? Member and non-member. Also any contract?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Itā€™ll be nice to have access to a charging network that isnā€™t the hot garbage that Electrify America is.
Sigh.. first hand report or based on other peoples feedback? Since I easily did a 5000 mile road trip only using EA (with the exception of one stop at the RAN station in Salida) it would be hard for me to agree it is 'hot garbage'

I mean you have a right to your opinion but I find most people slamming EA have never used EA. Then you have some others that slam EA because a stall or two are down but still are able to reliable charge at the working stations and get on their way and then you have the third camp that want to blame the chargers for problems with their vehicle. Could EA be better, do better, absolutely but lets be real here.

I think it will be great if Tesla opens their network, specifically for remote locations or when other infrastructure is down for whatever reason. More options are great. If it is anything like Tesla's open network in the EU it will be more expensive and very few non Tesla cars will use it.

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

No details so too early to tell what the actual terms are but as a Tesla owner and having used the Superchargers, I have never found one that's not working anywhere.

I look forward to signing up. Much rather have a choice of anywhere between 8 to 50 supercharger stalls at any given location than just 2~4 stalls, with some of them not working...

As for the rate, its location and time of the day dependent.

JoulesVerne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE, 2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Being real about EA is acknowledging that it is better than nothing but is clearly the result of the US gov twisting VW's arm to build a network. The equipment is poorly designed, over-complicated, and has an enormous maintenance burden that EA can't keep ahead of (aka hot garbage). This is from first-hand experience (many 300 mile trips this winter and one 4,000 mille trip this summer) and observations gathered from Plugshare.

I'm very excited to be able to use the Supercharger network.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Sigh.. first hand report or based on other peoples feedback? Since I easily did a 5000 mile road trip only using EA (with the exception of one stop at the RAN station in Salida) it would be hard for me to agree it is 'hot garbage'

I mean you have a right to your opinion but I find most people slamming EA have never used EA. Then you have some others that slam EA because a stall or two are down but still are able to reliable charge at the working stations and get on their way and then you have the third camp that want to blame the chargers for problems with their vehicle. Could EA be better, do better, absolutely but lets be real here.

I think it will be great if Tesla opens their network, specifically for remote locations or when other infrastructure is down for whatever reason. More options are great. If it is anything like Tesla's open network in the EU it will be more expensive and very few non Tesla cars will use it.
It's garbage, first hand experience here. I have to do the EA dance everytime I've attempted to use it (plug in, attempt to start, unplug, try again).

There's also Rivian/Lightning owners on Youtube that travel a ton of and post videos about their charging expiriences, and it isn't good. They're on this forum too I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AllElectricFamily

Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars

Used EA for the first time a few weeks ago. Two stops. Problems both times. Units down, card readers not working, charging wouldn't start even when initiated from the app. Had to call EA and have them reset the charger. Spent 10-15 minutes just trying to get charging started.

EA is hot garbage.

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Glad to see the availability of Tesla SCs getting closer.

Aftear my first hand experience with EA on short and long trips, I term them -SHG. Stinking Hot Garbage. We need the same availability and a better experience than smelly fossil fuel gas stations. I want EA to succeed as a credible option, and looking forward to their nextgen SCs.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The equipment is poorly designed, over-complicated, and has an enormous maintenance burden that EA can't keep ahead of (aka hot garbage).
Spoke with a tech that works with EA diagnosing station issues so they can send someone out to repair them. He said that historically EA wouldn't be proactive about fixing station issues because the amount of traffic they have didn't make sense to. If you are still able to charge at 2 or 3 of the 4 stations available and rarely have to wait for an open station, they don't put priority into those stations to get fixed. And from a business perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

He said they have been more proactive about fixing stations in busy areas, but they focus on making sure at least a few are active at any one area versus getting them 100% operational.

I've only not been able to charge at an EA station where they were already all taken, and opted to go somewhere else instead of waiting.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It's garbage, first hand experience here. I have to do the EA dance everytime I've attempted to use it (plug in, attempt to start, unplug, try again).

There's also Rivian/Lightning owners on Youtube that travel a ton of and post videos about their charging expiriences, and it isn't good. They're on this forum too I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AllElectricFamily
Used EA for the first time a few weeks ago. Two stops. Problems both times. Units down, card readers not working, charging wouldn't start even when initiated from the app. Had to call EA and have them reset the charger. Spent 10-15 minutes just trying to get charging started.

EA is hot garbage.

Well 15k miles on my R1T and beside charging at home almost exclusively use EA, never been stranded. Hard to call that ā€˜garbageā€˜ IMO but you do you. My guess is user error but Iā€™ll admit I have never used the card reader. Almost always use my IPhone wallet, tap and charge.

More than happy if you all use Tesla more EA stalls at a lower price for me.
Sponsored