Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T C63 AMG Honda S2000 E92 M3
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

Nobody in the industry has raised prices so often as Tesla has. It's insane really. I don't believe anyone can get away with doing it as well. I can't believe people out there pay $70k for that stubby Model Y. There's 12 years of brand mystique and hype packed into those prices. Might as well burn it up while they can. With each passing day there will be more and more compelling alternatives.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Nobody in the industry has raised prices so often as Tesla has. It's insane really. I don't believe anyone can get away with doing it as well. I can't believe people out there pay $70k for that stubby Model Y. There's 12 years of brand mystique and hype packed into those prices. Might as well burn it up while they can. With each passing day there will be more and more compelling alternatives.
It could be that legacy auto has always had a higher margin to be able to discount them and get people in the door for sales. Tesla's approach is getting people to order the cars to avoid having to pay a higher price in the future.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It could be that legacy auto has always had a higher margin to be able to discount them and get people in the door for sales. Tesla's approach is getting people to order the cars to avoid having to pay a higher price in the future.

This has been true of trucks and SUVs for a long time. Full size trucks have very large margins. Itā€™s the sedans and small cars that have very little profit margin. The Ford Fiesta and Focus only had a few hundred bucks of profit on each unit. Dealer made up for that with their service center and hitting monthly sales incentives from the OEM. The smaller margins are the primary reason OEMs have gotten out of the sedan business for the most part.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Welcome to capitalism haha. I was wondering why the F150 was getting so expensive a few years ago and saw a video where a guy answered that question. He said, ā€œYou wanna know why the F150 is getting so expensive? Itā€™s because of every person driving a new F150. People are willing to pay the higher price so why would Ford lower it?ā€ Simple supply and demand. Tesla is charging higher prices, because they can. We bought a MYP in November and we love it. Havenā€™t had a single issue with it (I know itā€™s only been 10 months) and from what I have read, we got lucky with the build quality because there arenā€™t any gaps, misalignments, weird squeaks, or other noises. Itā€™s also been the most fun vehicle to drive of any weā€™ve ever owned. Well worth the price we paid for it. We also see the value in the R1T. Itā€™s a good value at the post-March price and an excellent value at the pre-March price. Even with all those QC issues people have been posting about here.

Iā€™m not a Tesla fanboy. But our Tesla has certainly made me an EV fanboy.

Sponsored

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Ioniq 5, Lucid Air Touring
I donā€™t see too many buying model X or even S once R1S becomes mainstream.
I just checked the latest Model X prices. They now cost $124,490 for a base 7-seater. Add upgraded paint, wheels, and interior, and you are looking at $133,490.

Make it a 6-seater and add FSD and you'll pay $148,490!!!!! Who the hell is paying these prices!

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
I just checked the latest Model X prices. They now cost $124,490 for a base 7-seater. Add upgraded paint, wheels, and interior, and you are looking at $133,490.

Make it a 6-seater and add FSD and you'll pay $148,490!!!!! Who the hell is paying these prices!
If the Rivian costs $80K, to me the right price of the model X should be $70K or if Elon insists he can discount it to $69,420.

Last edited:

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Tesla has also reduced prices multiple times.

The pricing on Tesla vehicles fluctuates with cost of materials.

JustBarely

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

Tesla has also reduced prices multiple times.

The pricing on Tesla vehicles fluctuates with cost of materials.
Interesting on the price reduction.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Lots of people...

JustBarely

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

There's space for both vehicles
Absolutely! My Buddy has a Model X and the front doors open and close by the app. I thought it was just the Falcon doors.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
FWIW...

2021 results

In 2021, Tesla produced 930,422 electric cars and delivered 936,222. It's a new record.

• Total production: 930,422 (up 82.5% year-over-year)
    • Model 3/Y production: 906,032 (up 99% year-over-year)
    • Model S/X production: 24,390 (down 56% year-over-year)
  • Total deliveries: 936,222 (up 87.4% year-over-year)
    • Model 3/Y deliveries: 911,242 (up 106% year-over-year)
    • Model S/X deliveries: 24,980 (down 56% year-over-year)
https://insideevs.com/news/563407/tesla-2021q4-final-delivery-numbers/

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
FWIW...

2021 results

In 2021, Tesla produced 930,422 electric cars and delivered 936,222. It's a new record.

• Total production: 930,422 (up 82.5% year-over-year)
    • Model 3/Y production: 906,032 (up 99% year-over-year)
    • Model S/X production: 24,390 (down 56% year-over-year)
  • Total deliveries: 936,222 (up 87.4% year-over-year)
    • Model 3/Y deliveries: 911,242 (up 106% year-over-year)
    • Model S/X deliveries: 24,980 (down 56% year-over-year)
https://insideevs.com/news/563407/tesla-2021q4-final-delivery-numbers/
Interesting to see those S/X numbers though. The price creep on those, and the availability of the 3 and Y has really undercut the market for the S and X. I don't think Tesla's crying over it at all, considering the margins I assume they're getting with the 3 and Y anyway.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

Interesting to see those S/X numbers though. The price creep on those, and the availability of the 3 and Y has really undercut the market for the S and X. I don't think Tesla's crying over it at all, considering the margins I assume they're getting with the 3 and Y anyway.
Those production numbers s/x can be misleading without context. The line for the S and X was shut down for many months as they transitioned to the refreshed models. Like Rivian, they would have sold many more if they could have built them. Demand wasn't the issue. For example, if you order an X today, you're looking at a March 2023 delivery at the earliest. That said, I'm still shocked there is enough demand at current prices. I optioned out a new Model X with the same features we have on the one we purchased in 2018 and the price has gone up $48,000! There's no way we would have paid $137k for a Model X. I do love when Tesla raises the price though. It's like free money. I can sell our used Model X today for more than we paid for it four years ago. Bonkers.
Sponsored