SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I'm afraid that I would have told the Teslian to go ahead and, "call the Police, the number is 911, do you want me to write that down for you?"

Brian
Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Personally I think I'd be able to handle the situation with no cops being called.

To start with I'd have the correct adapter.

Secondly I'd just show him the App which specifically says "Charging a non-Tesla"

There is obviously going to be people that interpret that sign as Tesla charging only, and not Charging only.

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
while I have my own opinions about the police etc. The person that made the call is clearly going through some shit or has a mindset of a 75 year old who thinks the police are going to actually give 1 fuck about this situation.

Wing

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition LG/OC 20-inch
Calling 911 is ridiculous and takes resources away from real emergencies. These people that think 911 is the catch all to their ice cream falling on the ground really need to grow up.

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

It’s funny the Tesla driver says “Illegal”. I’m 100% sure the law doesn’t care. It’s a private matter, not a public law matter.
In Idaho maybe yes but in many states parking in a charging spot while not charging is a violation of statues and punishable with a fine, maybe not criminal but definitely illegal.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Calling 911 is ridiculous and takes resources away from real emergencies. These people that think 911 is the catch all to their ice cream falling on the ground really need to grow up.
Probably the same guy that calls 911 on Thanksgiving for instructions on how to thaw the turkey.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The Rivian owner did the right thing. I'm not sure how I would have reacted before going to anger management therapy.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
ETA - a cursory glance of Amazon does not show any CCS -> NACS adapters for Rivian DCFC on Superchargers. So I’m guessing they bought a J1772 and (of course) it didn’t work.
LOL right. Honestly, I'm not sure who looks worse, the Tesla owner freaking out about a Rivian charging at a Tesla SC or someone using a J1772 adapter at a Tesla SC who then shares the story online and the fact that they don't know what the F they are doing.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Where is the gear guard video? No video, not using the right adapter, this Rivian driver needs more training....

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
In Idaho maybe yes but in many states parking in a charging spot while not charging is a violation of statues and punishable with a fine, maybe not criminal but definitely illegal.
Yeah but the Rivian was attempting to charge haha. The law can’t say: “Teslas only”

Dave Cundiff

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (DM, MaxPack); 2023 and 2019 Bolts
In states like mine, which have enabling legislation, the law can enforce "no parking in a charging spot unless you're charging." Usually they only enforce this on a complaint basis.

In most states, the law can tell someone to leave private property if the owner clearly doesn't want them there, as long as the owner isn't violating the law in excluding them.

Given the ambiguity of Tesla's sign, and the Rivian owner's reasonable explanation of his actions, I think most here are correct that police wouldn't have anything to enforce. I remember the officer who, when I complained about someone who had deliberately bumped my car with his door but left no damage, who told me firmly that, "Being a jerk is not a crime," and that my worry about "what if the guy did it to someone else" was not something he could do anything about.

Sometimes, to an officer, it looks as if everyone is in the wrong. In those cases, I believe the officer's job is to keep the peace; resolve the short-term problem; and move herself and everyone else on to something else.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I have only charged my Rivian at a Tesla Supercharger few times so far, but thus far I haven't seen evidence that a single person even noticed my giant Yellow SUV wasn't a Tesla. Not even an "Isn't that interesting" second glance.

If there hadn't been a Rivian driver for them to focus their rage on right then, they would have picked a fight with some other Tesla driver who was charging in the stall that they had mentally claimed dibs on.

Crazy people are going to be crazy, there's nothing anyone can do about it.

SPITmadFIRE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1S DPM Max Pack 20" AT
The OP claims they bought an adapter on Amazon. Since there aren't any NACS to CCS DC adapters available on Amazon, they must've bought an AC NACS to J1772 adapter instead, which will never work.
It'll work, just very very briefly. And by work I mean firework.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The Rivian owner did the right thing.
Not sure taking up two stalls for 5 minutes while struggling to get a Tesla to J1772 adapter to work on a Tesla SC is the right thing. The Tesla owner also didn’t do the right thing and instead of yelling he could have politely pointed out the idiotic and potentially dangerous situation the Rivian owner put himself in.
Sponsored