Telematics Control Module Stops by the FCC

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
1630088939489.png

New Postings.
So, BLE and NFC access mechanisms. No mention of UWB so far. Not surprising even though it may be disappointing for some.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That's Bluetooth Classic which Rivian is opting not to use, favoring the newer BLE instead.
And (as you noted in the UWB thread) if the purpose of this particular transmitter/receiver is "Vehicle Access", there's no point in including BDR or EDR anyway. Those only support audio and basic data. For any "location" services like proximity and direction, they've have to use BLE.

EDIT: I just realized that the clip is probably from the TCM RF Exposure Info, not anything on the Vehicle Access System BLE device. In that document, Note 1 says:

Note 1: Referring to “TCM Operational Description_11May2021.pdf” During TCM boot-up, the device does not load any Bluetooth drivers, which means that the firmware is not downloaded.
So they're not running Bluetooth through that particular TCM, which they've purchased from another company. They're using someone else's Bluetooth component, quite likely because the TCM they're using doesn't support BLE, which is generally preferred at this point since it supports additional features that "Bluetooth classic" does not support. They're using the TCM for GPS, cellular and wifi. If you look higher up the thread, I had a post or two talking about the particular TCM component that I think they're buying and who they're buying it from.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've already noticed a couple interesting minutiae in the application for the key fob. The "User Manual Attestation" is below. There are two device IDs, one for R1T and one for R1S. That makes sense because we would expect different icons at a minimum. There may even be a different number of buttons (R1T could possibly have buttons for the tonneau cover, whereas the R1S might have separate buttons for lift and tail gates, although I suspect it'll just be for the lift gate). Also, there's a slight hint about the user manual, which does seem to be presented on the main console.

Rivian R1T R1S Telematics Control Module Stops by the FCC Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 4.59.27 PM

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looking back at the TCM filing, I know I remember that they're using the Gemalto ALAS5-AM for cellular and GNSS (satellite location). I did not remember seeing that it was using a u-blox JODY-W1 for wifi (with Bluetooth disabled, it appears).

Here are the FCC filings for each of those components:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/QIPALAS5-AM

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/XPYJODYW167/4346848

They appear to also use a u-blox NEO-M8L series device for GPS. I'm not sure why they have 2 positioning devices. I'm also not sure what they're using for bluetooth with all of this, since they seem to be disabling it in the JODY-W1 and neither of the other 2 components seem to have it. Maybe they don't have any need for Bluetooth within the TCM and they'll have it in another set of components?

https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/neo-m8l-series

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Got a link? I may browse the various attachments this evening or weekend. You know, light weekend reading!
Ah! A fellow insomniac, yes?

If you have trouble pulling this stuff up, the U.S. Tax Code works for me.... ? ?

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
Looking back at the TCM filing, I know I remember that they're using the Gemalto ALAS5-AM for cellular and GNSS (satellite location). I did not remember seeing that it was using a u-blox JODY-W1 for wifi (with Bluetooth disabled, it appears).

Here are the FCC filings for each of those components:

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/QIPALAS5-AM

https://fcc.report/FCC-ID/XPYJODYW167/4346848

They appear to also use a u-blox NEO-M8L series device for GPS. I'm not sure why they have 2 positioning devices. I'm also not sure what they're using for bluetooth with all of this, since they seem to be disabling it in the JODY-W1 and neither of the other 2 components seem to have it. Maybe they don't have any need for Bluetooth within the TCM and they'll have it in another set of components?

https://www.u-blox.com/en/product/neo-m8l-series
Could using two positioning devices improve accuracy? RJ mentioned they have precision to 10cm (I think?) which is pretty tight for civilian GPS

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Could using two positioning devices improve accuracy? RJ mentioned they have precision to 10cm (I think?) which is pretty tight for civilian GPS
It's possible, but I would be a little surprised if that's it. One of the two devices uses multiple satellite systems, including GPS, GLONASS, and at least one other. Having more satellites would generally be better than having 2 different processors that you then have to either average out or somehow qualitatively pick between.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It's possible, but I would be a little surprised if that's it. One of the two devices uses multiple satellite systems, including GPS, GLONASS, and at least one other. Having more satellites would generally be better than having 2 different processors that you then have to either average out or somehow qualitatively pick between.
This is a good article on GPS, here is an excerpt

Rivian R1T R1S Telematics Control Module Stops by the FCC C4C7ECD8-23F7-4B77-AD54-6DC37E9DDA51

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Ah! A fellow insomniac, yes?

If you have trouble pulling this stuff up, the U.S. Tax Code works for me.... ? ?

Honestly Rivian Patent documents are soo good and have tons of detail highly recommend reading!
Sponsored