Ottoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 QM
Occupation
Engineer
Word of caution to everyone:

I've had my R1T for about 6 weeks or so now and has been great for the most part until today:

2 weeks ago I was in Sequoia (350 miles from home)
last week I was in San Diego (150 miles from home)

both times everything was great.

Back at work today just like any other Monday, in the late afternoon I open my Rivian app to check something and I see an error message that my phone key was unpaired!?!

I was locked out of my vehicle with no way in. I had to find my way home(luckily my house key was in my work bag and not the car), and then get the spare car key from the house and come all the way back to work to repair my phone and rescue my truck!

Had this happened the prior 2 weekends while I was 100's of miles from home like in a national park away from civilization I don't know what I would have done! what a disaster that could of been!

Now I'm paranoid, I put the credit card key in my wallet, but there are times where my wallet might still be in my Truck and not necessarily on my person.

the phone key was awesome and I used to wax poetic about it, now I'm a little worried to put my faith in it.

How reliable is the Phone as key technology?
Sponsored

C12farmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE vehicles
What kind of phone do you have?

Could Rivian customer support remotely open the door, after you verify your identify of course? Not sure that helps you start up the car or not.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Only saw this happen when Rivian had a bug in their backend that affected everyone. As long as you didn't open the app, the phone as key would still continue to work.

That said, Rivian service will typically assist you with remotely unlocking the vehicle if they can. I haven't had it happen yet since I always carry a card or have the wristband. A dead phone battery or broken phone could otherwise mean being locked out.

Sponsored

RandomMcRandomFace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90, R1S
I work in Tech and I had the card in my wallet on day 1. So many things can happen physically or mentally to the phone or app.
Agree. Not having the keycard as a back up is insane. Thatā€™s why it is a card. Easy to carry. I did the same with my model y. Needed it a few times with each car (usually to ā€œstartā€ it not unlock it).

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
PAAK has been very reliable for me. I have carried the card in my wallet since day 1.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Yep having the key card is what you need to do. I also would never leave the wallet in the car anyway because the possibility of theft. Even if I had a car with a traditional key fob and no mobile app I would still carry the key card in my wallet on me If the car had one

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Always carry the card with you. This is a must with any EV.
No, not true. Tesla has multiple ways to solve the problem. Hopefully one day this makes it to Rivian. I've never carried the card, and often just don't bother with a wallet at all. But maybe now I will, dunno.

As to OP, I work in tech, and have seen a lot more issues with Androids being used as cards/keys, particularly the non-mainstream ones or older phones. What phone? And could this have coincided with an update?

Sponsored

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
No, not true. Tesla has multiple ways to solve the problem. Hopefully one day this makes it to Rivian. I've never carried the card, and often just don't bother with a wallet at all. But maybe now I will, dunno.

As to OP, I work in tech, and have seen a lot more issues with Androids being used as cards/keys, particularly the non-mainstream ones or older phones. What phone? And could this have coincided with an update?
Can you expand on the multi ways Tesla solves this? I have a Tesla which is why Iā€™m curious about it.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I mean completely disregard the potential for Rivian technical issues. People drop, lose or otherwise break phones all the time. Consider even a dead phone after a long hike or something.

I would never rely on PAAK only, as others have said above I always have a key card and usually the key fob with me

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

Can you expand on the multi ways Tesla solves this? I have a Tesla which is why Iā€™m curious about it.
You can remote start the car either with another app/person, or via Tesla themselves. My wife was able to remote start it and let me drive, as a test, when I was in another city. You can call Tesla and have them start it after some authentication (I presume, didn't test it).

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
Going from a fob in traditional car ownership to PAAK is something to get used to.

First two weeks of ownership, I had the same issue, the phone kept getting kicked out as a key. (iOS, and had all app and OS versions current)

Unpaired phone from vehicle, removed the app, reinstalled, repaired BT, did a soft reset on the Riv, and then applied the 2024.11.02 update. Haven't had an issue for 2 months now.

Which one of those worked? no idea. But I carry the card in my wallet as a backup.