Sponsored

Take delivery or wait?

hed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Raptor, Rivian Reservation 13##
Interesting dilemma that effects tons of people in the southeast. I am in North Carolina which outlawed both direct sales and servicing. South Carolina is the same. Not only is our state legislature in the hip pockets of the dealers association but the dealers are also enshrouded in the NASCAR culture. So, big, big money.

I doubt that I will ever see a Rivian service center in my state. Unless, the feds get involved.

That said, I will accept my trucks as soon as possible. It’s irrational I know but the situation isn’t gonna change anytime soon.
I am next door in SC. Are we sure about the servicing in NC? Is that recent? How does that affect the Tesla service center in Charlotte?
Sponsored

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
I am next door in SC. Are we sure about the servicing in NC? Is that recent? How does that affect the Tesla service center in Charlotte?
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...vian-sales-service-out-of-the-carolinas.2327/

It is my understanding that these laws were made in response to Tesla opening service centers. First movers. Their established centers were grandfathered in but banned any further openings by Tesla or other direct to consumer auto companies.

Sad

edit: disclaimer- I am not an expert on these issues

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

Always tough - early adopter you have to expect some teething. So your use case and situation should drive your decision. Backup vehichle(s), access to alternate transportation. As someone who just had an unfortunate dead truck, I still think it’s an amazing truck and can’t wait for it to get fixed. Service center is only about 30 miles from me. I’ve got another car and they provided me a rental.

bhopkins

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Go ahead and get it. Remember, a lot of issues can be handled by mobile service or some even remotely. When I got my Tesla Model S, the nearest service center was in Cleveland which is 273 miles from my house. First repair they had to flatbed it to Cleveland and they provided a loaner Tesla that I had for a week. Tesla then flatbeded my car back to me. Now, there are service centers within 90 miles or so. But, I’ve also had mobile rangers make several repairs (air bag replacement due to recall, 12v battery, steering wheel lights/electronics, etc.). All depends on your comfort level.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

I’d accept delivery now. But I also have no problem waiting a little bit to see problems get ironed out. I live in Pennsylvania, so the dealers are blocking direct sales. And probably service. Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey borders are all around 1 hour away from me, not sure where My Rivian Service Center would be (I’m guessing Wilmington eventually). I am also planning on keeping an ICE.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Having seen a fair number of posts about people having a variety of issues (all fixable but issues nonetheless) with their new R1Ts, I'm curious how many would take delivery immediately and deal with the issues, or push delivery out further to give Rivian more time to iron out the wrinkles? In fairness, we generally only hear from those who have had problems -- those with zero issues don't have reason to post. In addition, early adopter issues with manufacturing are to be expected, so we know what we're getting taking delivery this early.

I anticipate the "you should pass it on now so I can get my truck sooner" comments, but, as someone who lives 250 miles from a service center, I have to ask myself this question seriously. Would you take the R1T now or give it a little more time?
I went through this with Tesla as well. It’s all a bunch of what ifs?

What if you buy it now and it has issues? Better to wait.

What if you buy it now and a month later, they get heat pumps? Better to wait.

What if you buy it now, and out comes a better battery? Better to wait.

What if there was always something to wait for? I’ve known Tesla followers who have literally been waiting since before they launched Supercharging. Here are some regrets I’ve heard:

I shouldn’t have waited, free unlimited supercharging is worth so much.

I should have bought when full self driving was only $1500.

I wish they still offered the wood color I liked.

I like the old design better, I do t like the yoke.

What if it doesn’t get better for the way you like it?

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
I have been kind of keeping track - it’s in the 5-10% range that are having medium to major issues that you’d want or need fixed. You’ll probably have smaller stuff that you can live with for one bigger “fix” trip. Depends on your risk tolerance but that’s where I’d put the odds currently.

Last edited:

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

If you can wait then don’t accept the truck. With parts supply issues it could be a long wait. Otherwise accept the truck.

A ton of folks will live a long way from SCs.

Last edited:

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
And that's happening ... when?
When it was on sale? Or when it was available?

For sale at that price, I believe it was 2018? It was a while ago. As for when it’ll actually be available? My guess is whenever they start delivering the roadster or the infamous semi.

I’ve been waiting since 2016 and don’t think I’ll ever truly see it

Last edited:

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

I specifically didn't take a launch edition for this reason. Let them work out the kinks for several months before they get to mine.

Waiting or taking delivery is very personal. Could you live without the vehicle once you get it if a service was required? Is your current car working well and there are no issues extending for another year? Are you cool with waiting a year for your spot in line to come up again? Blah Blah Blah
Sponsored