Take delivery or wait?

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Having seen a fair number of posts about people having a variety of issues (all fixable but issues nonetheless) with their new R1Ts, I'm curious how many would take delivery immediately and deal with the issues, or push delivery out further to give Rivian more time to iron out the wrinkles? In fairness, we generally only hear from those who have had problems -- those with zero issues don't have reason to post. In addition, early adopter issues with manufacturing are to be expected, so we know what we're getting taking delivery this early.

I anticipate the "you should pass it on now so I can get my truck sooner" comments, but, as someone who lives 250 miles from a service center, I have to ask myself this question seriously. Would you take the R1T now or give it a little more time?
Sponsored

ORFynder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"Rosie" the RIVN, Rav4 Prime
Occupation
Optimistic Advocate
I would take the vehicle when you can. With supply issues ongoing with all auto manufacturers, donā€™t know how long you might have to wait for your truck. Also Rivian has the best in class warranty coverage on their vehicles.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
being just a few minutes from an SC is very comforting to me. If I lived as far as you from a service center, Iā€™d probably delay for awhile.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I would pass. I like the vehicles I currently have and I would prefer waiting a few more months up to a year for a slightly more finished product.
The wait might be worth it if they add heat pump, 800 volt architecture, handles to get in easier (for my wife and kid - first thing they noticed when we did the drive and went to the Venice Hub), few other kinks that could be fixed.

r1t_kev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Crosstrek
This seems like a complex issue. Are you saying refuse delivery when it's sitting in your driveway? Or if contacted by a guide tell them you're going to wait?

If the former, best case scenario, you're going to end up with a replacement truck in relatively short order. With the latter, if you refuse a delivery opportunity, would you need to submit a new order and move to the back of the line? If you were in before the price increase, presumably you'd be paying the new price too?

Seems to me you'd be better off taking delivery and selling it while you wait for a second order to arrive.

Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
If I lived 250 miles from a service center I would not have ordered a Rivian R1T. Too far away, I would be out of my comfort zone.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

being just a few minutes from an SC is very comforting to me. If I lived as far as you from a service center, Iā€™d probably delay for awhile.
This is probably why RIivian has been taking location into account with delivery windows. Delivering a vehicle to a place far from a Rivian facility has a much greater chance of customer dissatisfaction AND higher costs to Rivian when service is required. I think it makes the most sense to deliver to customers close to existing facilities and expand deliveries as you expand your support infrastructure.

edit:typo

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
If I lived 250 miles from a service center Iā€™m not sure id buy a Rivian right now. Definitely not if I didnā€™t also have a back up ICE truck.

Iā€™m assuming mine will be in the service center or need mobile service 3-6 times the first year. Thatā€™s based on my experience with a 2014 Tesla Model S. First year cars from a new EV company will likely have issues.

Itā€™s also possible you could have zero issues requiring service because EVs in general require less routine maintenance. But it depends on your tolerance for risk and whether or not you are okay being without your truck for extended periods of time.

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Having seen a fair number of posts about people having a variety of issues (all fixable but issues nonetheless) with their new R1Ts, I'm curious how many would take delivery immediately and deal with the issues, or push delivery out further to give Rivian more time to iron out the wrinkles? In fairness, we generally only hear from those who have had problems -- those with zero issues don't have reason to post. In addition, early adopter issues with manufacturing are to be expected, so we know what we're getting taking delivery this early.

I anticipate the "you should pass it on now so I can get my truck sooner" comments, but, as someone who lives 250 miles from a service center, I have to ask myself this question seriously. Would you take the R1T now or give it a little more time?
I have 2 pre-order reservations of R1s. One is Aug 2020 LE R1S and the other is Jan 2022 R1T. Based on my early 2018 Model 3 RWD delivery experience (I got it early April 2018 with VIN# 11XXX), the remorse came in quickly just 2 months later when Tesla started delivering AWD versions. There were some obvious early build issues, like panel gaps, loud noises of the front upper control arm joints, interior trims getting very loose and very weak brake issues....etc. Went to SC 4 times, but I did get to drive loaners of both Model S and X for couple weeks. I really like the OC interior for my R1S, so I actually don't mind the delay of the OC builds as they work some issues out and I purposedly changed to Max pack for my R1T hoping I might have a chance to get some hardware upgrades like 800V system in 2024 . Just my 2cents.

Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
In your situation, if I had have an extra vehicle, I would take delivery. A few months is very unlikely to change the number of repairs needed per new vehicle.

I expect you would need to wait until the second half of next year to get a truly improved vehicle. It takes time to identify most problems and time to implement a fix.

You may be far from the service area but you are in an area Rivian knows they will need to serve. As long as they are willing to pick up the vehicle the distance wouldn't concern me too much.

User433

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Yukon Denali
I've had mine for over a month and really love my truck. I had similar concerns about being an early adopter but so far its exceeded my expectations. The only issues I've had are minor software glitches.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
I have 2 pre-order reservations of R1s. One is Aug 2020 LE R1S and the other is Jan 2022 R1T. Based on my early 2018 Model 3 RWD delivery experience (I got it early April 2018 with VIN# 11XXX), the remorse came in quickly just 2 months later when Tesla started delivering AWD versions. There were some obvious early build issues, like panel gaps, loud noises of the front upper control arm joints, interior trims getting very loose and very weak brake issues....etc. Went to SC 4 times, but I did get to drive loaners of both Model S and X for couple weeks. I really like the OC interior for my R1S, so I actually don't mind the delay of the OC builds as they work some issues out and I purposedly changed to Max pack for my R1T hoping I might have a chance to get some hardware upgrades like 800V system in 2024 . Just my 2cents.
The interesting thing for me is I nervous when I bought my 2018 Model 3 for the same reasons -- service center was 150 miles from me. At the time I saw lots of posts from people with issues, but I went for it and never had a single problem. Maybe I was just lucky, but car has been flawless since the day I picked it up.

As for the Rivian, even though I live 250 miles from a service center and just placed my order November 2021, my guide already contacted me saying I'll be up for delivery in two to six weeks. Based on my example, they aren't factoring in proximity to a service center when planning deliveries, because it makes no sense for me to be selected to get an R1T right now (not complaining, just looking at it rationally). I really was surprised and actually was hoping to avoid being in this situation because I thought end of year or later before I'd be contacted by Rivian to take delivery.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
This is probably why RIivian has been taking location into account with delivery windows. Delivering a vehicle to a place far from a Rivian facility has a much greater chance of customer dissatisfaction AND higher costs to Rivian when service is required. I think it makes the most sense to deliver to customers close to existing facilities and expand deliveries as you expand your support infrastructure.

edit:typo
I'm the OP and based on my experience, I don't think Rivian is taking proximity to service centers into account. Not complaining, but I don't understand why they picked me to receive a truck now -- I live 250 miles from a service center and I'm not even a Launch Edition preorder.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I'm the OP and based on my experience, I don't think Rivian is taking proximity to service centers into account. Not complaining, but I don't understand why they picked me to receive a truck now -- I live 250 miles from a service center and I'm not even a Launch Edition preorder.
Iā€™d take it - despite bing 250mi from a known service centre currently, given that rivian has facilities in San Jose & Palo Altoā€¦and lots of employees in the area with R1Ts, there should be a robust mobile service presence.

Consider any Initial quality issues as maximizing value from the warranty šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬šŸ˜¬
Sponsored