Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I'm the OP and based on my experience, I don't think Rivian is taking proximity to service centers into account. Not complaining, but I don't understand why they picked me to receive a truck now -- I live 250 miles from a service center and I'm not even a Launch Edition preorder.
I’m not saying they always take location into account. It’s just that I’ve read numerous complaints from people far from Rivian facilities with later delivery windows that my perception was that it was part of the strategy employed by Rivian. Maybe location was more important and Rivian revised how they are prioritizing to make it less important.

I have no insight into what Rivian’s actual strategy it is, but it seems like like they are building (and shipping?) based on configurations before people commit (PBA?) so then they have to find another buyer for that config if the original person backs out.

When you combine it with the reports of vehicles shipped to the wrong region, it certainly seems like they can be more efficient and I suspect they’re working on process improvements.
Sponsored

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
I think Rivian is balancing workload between service centers. This is also how they can do full truckloads to that service center.

They don't want to have employees with nothing to do. They don't want to overload a location with vehicles that can't be delivered for weeks. All service centers will have vehicles for which they have to make distant deliveries. Rivian knows that they have to service these remote vehicle locations in a reasonably timely manner and absorb the cost.

Tesla service was fabulous at the beginning. Tesla had no choice.

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
I've gotten spoiled that my Acura dealer is in the next town ... even if I'm only there once a year at most.

At first, I certainly fell into the ... 'get me a 3-second SUV and the other issues are meaningless' category. However, I doubt that I'll see my R1S until 2023. So ... with the passage of time ... will I still want the vehicle or will I be enticed by the Porsche Macan EV or the Kia EV9? Time will tell. What won't be happening is a service center anywhere close in the immediate future. My lousy state refuses to allow direct vehicle sales to customers because enough of my state senators are in the pocket of the Dealers Association.

Rivian R1T R1S Take delivery or wait? 1651938373236

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I'm the OP and based on my experience, I don't think Rivian is taking proximity to service centers into account. Not complaining, but I don't understand why they picked me to receive a truck now -- I live 250 miles from a service center and I'm not even a Launch Edition preorder.
Yeah it’s bizarre. I’m in Los Angeles within 50 miles of several service centers and have an earlier preorder date than you. It doesn’t make sense that you would take delivery before me, but that’s the way it’s been going.

What is your build? Maybe it’s just an uncommon spec and you hit the Rivian lottery.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All of the expected future features aren't things that would make me hold off on delivery. 800v architecture won't matter much except for 500+ mile a day road trips. Heat pump won't dramatically improve the cold weather performance of the truck, they are already scavenging heat.

I think the only reason anyone should put off delivery is if they actually tow long distance on a regular basis, for the max pack.

Sponsored

Scoiatael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've bought the first model year of the Camaro redesign, first model year of the Colorado redesign, and have one of the first 10000 Model Ys. So far I've been lucky with first model years and had no issues. No worries for me to get the first year R1T or F150 Lightning.

SunDevil2213

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
Although being 250 miles from a SC is slightly discomforting, if Rivian actually delivered such a person their R1T or R1S - worst case scenario - they come to you to service the truck. That was always the promise. It's just a level of your tolerance to waiting. Right now, they're firing on all sides - trying to get trucks out, trying to get accessories out, trying to update the software and improve on that front, making tweaks to the production process, service vehicles that are having issues, building out their service fleet and service center network, building out RAN. As the ramp continues and they get more into their groove, I anticipate things will get better and better on all fronts.

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Interesting dilemma that effects tons of people in the southeast. I am in North Carolina which outlawed both direct sales and servicing. South Carolina is the same. Not only is our state legislature in the hip pockets of the dealers association but the dealers are also enshrouded in the NASCAR culture. So, big, big money.

I doubt that I will ever see a Rivian service center in my state. Unless, the feds get involved.

That said, I will accept my trucks as soon as possible. It’s irrational I know but the situation isn’t gonna change anytime soon.

OP
OP

CGM55082

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
PR
Yeah it’s bizarre. I’m in Los Angeles within 50 miles of several service centers and have an earlier preorder date than you. It doesn’t make sense that you would take delivery before me, but that’s the way it’s been going.

What is your build? Maybe it’s just an uncommon spec and you hit the Rivian lottery.
My build is Adventure, GW, BM, Tonneau, Large Pack, Dark 20" A/T

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
The interesting thing for me is I nervous when I bought my 2018 Model 3 for the same reasons -- service center was 150 miles from me. At the time I saw lots of posts from people with issues, but I went for it and never had a single problem. Maybe I was just lucky, but car has been flawless since the day I picked it up.

As for the Rivian, even though I live 250 miles from a service center and just placed my order November 2021, my guide already contacted me saying I'll be up for delivery in two to six weeks. Based on my example, they aren't factoring in proximity to a service center when planning deliveries, because it makes no sense for me to be selected to get an R1T right now (not complaining, just looking at it rationally). I really was surprised and actually was hoping to avoid being in this situation because I thought end of year or later before I'd be contacted by Rivian to take delivery.
That was quick for you having placed the order 7 months ago. Extremely jealous. Same build as yours but Rivian Blue. I'm only 3 years in. lol.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
My build is Adventure, GW, BM, Tonneau, Large Pack, Dark 20" A/T
Interesting. I currently have same config but standard AT wheels.

Fingers crossed your delivery process goes smoothly.

Taycanfrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Rivian isn't going to suddenly figure out these issues in a "few months". If you're concerned about having a bug/glitch free car with excellent build quality, you shouldn't be buying a Rivian in the next year.

Either you can live with minor issues or they'll bother you too much, that's your call.

Reactions: hed

lostpacket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Crosstrek, R1T
Occupation
Software Engineer
For me, I would much rather work out the issues with my brand new truck in the Spring/Summer but I live in a place with a brutal winter. I also suspect that any major issues with an individual truck will manifest quickly. I also work from home so I can afford some interruptions to my life.

But that's what it really comes down to. What is your use case? For each of us this is pretty different.

Will this be your daily driver and you absolutely cant afford interruptions to that? Or is it something for weekend trips to the beach/cabin?

Last edited:

totmafang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
The interesting thing for me is I nervous when I bought my 2018 Model 3 for the same reasons -- service center was 150 miles from me. At the time I saw lots of posts from people with issues, but I went for it and never had a single problem. Maybe I was just lucky, but car has been flawless since the day I picked it up.

As for the Rivian, even though I live 250 miles from a service center and just placed my order November 2021, my guide already contacted me saying I'll be up for delivery in two to six weeks. Based on my example, they aren't factoring in proximity to a service center when planning deliveries, because it makes no sense for me to be selected to get an R1T right now (not complaining, just looking at it rationally). I really was surprised and actually was hoping to avoid being in this situation because I thought end of year or later before I'd be contacted by Rivian to take delivery.
I guess it really depends on your situation. My model 3 has been almost issue free for the past 3 years and we have a 2019 GLC300 in great condition with only 12K miles. So we are good for at least another year. But if you are in need of a new vehicle/truck less than a year, then probably you want to take the delivery now.
Sponsored