Sponsored

Tailgate Capacity Concern

hamberderz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X (2020), Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (2019)
Yeah since the offroad package is an option, I don't think it'll be included in the payload, so it'll be great to see some concrete numbers.
IDK... The FX4 is an option for F150 too but it still takes away from payload. Same with Single/Extended/Crew cab options. At the end of the day, it is what testing/verification is Rivian willing to do for each. If they wish to not have options (which add weight) impact payload, they need to certify that it can handle the additional weight. Many manufactures just subtract it from the max payload instead of re-certifying.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
IDK... The FX4 is an option for F150 too but it still takes away from payload. Same with Single/Extended/Crew cab options. At the end of the day, it is what testing/verification is Rivian willing to do for each. If they wish to not have options (which add weight) impact payload, they need to certify that it can handle the additional weight. Many manufactures just subtract it from the max payload instead of re-certifying.
Or just certify the heaviest config and not selecting options doesn't increase payload.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Softer suspension on FX4 likely is what reduces payload.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That does, but weight does as well. No suspension difference between cab configurations or engines.
I would bet the springs will have different part numbers for different cab sizes and engines.

Sponsored

hamberderz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would bet the springs will have different part numbers for different cab sizes and engines.
OK, how about this. If you get a bed liner or running boards, or even a sunroof it can impact payload.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, how about this. If you get a bed liner or running boards, or even a sunroof it can impact payload.
Go a second round at the lunch buffet and payload is impacted. Same with yr Kohler at home. RIP. ?

hamberderz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Go a second round at the lunch buffet and payload is impacted. Same with yr Kohler at home. RIP. ?
Haha... Yes, of course, but that doesn't change the door sticker. I want to know what the payload on the door sticker says.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Haha... Yes, of course, but that doesn't change the door sticker. I want to know what the payload on the door sticker says.
Since there aren’t many R1T configs, they probably have just used the “worst case” version to calculate payload(offroad pkg, spare wheel, max pack battery)

GA_Rivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

On an R1T the pallet will be placed less than halfway beyond the beginning of the bed using the above numbers. It will actually be only ~33% resting on the actual truck bed.
I don't understand this statement. Use the forklift to shove the pallet back. I've seen forklifts with long extensions they can easily pick up with the regular forks; the extension has a tee at the front, which butts against the pallet so they can shove it. Put a chain around the back of the pallet to bring it forward enough to lift out. The tailgate will need to support part of the pallet until you can shove it back, but you won't be bouncing on the road with it sticking way out.
I do more or less the same thing loading 2800# pallets into a stock trailer. They need to ride farther forward so they don't result in too much negative tongue weight and lift the rear end of the truck. I put down a piece of plywood or a couple of 2x4s to make sliding the pallet easier.
However, I would also like to know what the actual limits for the tailgate are, as I would like to be able to put stake-type sides on it to allow easier loading of things like a yard or so of gravel. I think I suggested the stake-side idea to Rivian as an option.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Just in case you folks haven't seen this. the poster had a lot of your same questions. he also had a pretty bad experience with a guide over it. The comments in the second one are valuable for the same reason someone was worried on here. If you have a really large trailer, you may be choosing between the mastiff, camp kitchen, or spouse.

OP
OP

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
I don't understand this statement. Use the forklift to shove the pallet back. I've seen forklifts with long extensions they can easily pick up with the regular forks; the extension has a tee at the front, which butts against the pallet so they can shove it. Put a chain around the back of the pallet to bring it forward enough to lift out. The tailgate will need to support part of the pallet until you can shove it back, but you won't be bouncing on the road with it sticking way out.
I do more or less the same thing loading 2800# pallets into a stock trailer. They need to ride farther forward so they don't result in too much negative tongue weight and lift the rear end of the truck. I put down a piece of plywood or a couple of 2x4s to make sliding the pallet easier.
However, I would also like to know what the actual limits for the tailgate are, as I would like to be able to put stake-type sides on it to allow easier loading of things like a yard or so of gravel. I think I suggested the stake-side idea to Rivian as an option.
I’m not worried about being able to get the pallet all the way into or out of the bed, simply concerned how much weight will rest on this gooseneck tailgate compared to a normal trucks tailgate. I won’t always be using the same forklift as I’m mostly going from one location to another. Different fork loading and unloading.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I’ve been talking to a friend who has been in contact with a guide. Two guides actually as one seems to have taken over for the other. He’s frustrated, the guides know nothing, maybe less than nothing. They are people taking a job who know little about cars or EVs in general and seem to not have the first clue about what a truck is. There’s basically no training at all for these guides other than some basic pointers on customer service. They learn how to relay scheduling info to the customer and confirm an order, or at least how to muddle through that process. They don’t know anything about the R1T itself.

Most of the payload info and weight ratings for the tailgate, tunnel steps, etc.. are all in the owners guide which is now available. Tailgate weight rating is important to me so I can put an ATV in the bed.

The payload limit of 1419lbs is usable for me, but a bit disappointing to be honest.
Sponsored