Tailgate Capacity Concern

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
So far almost every detail about the R1T has me super excited and I'm very likely to go forward with my purchase. I think I'm down to one detail that I really need to better understand that could end up being a deal breaker. The gooseneck tailgate extends about 30" beyond the end of the bed. The payload on the R1T is over 1,700 lbs. I would like to carry pallets with between 1,000 and 1,600 pounds frequently. I currently am limited to 900lbs as I drive a Tacoma. These pallets are generally 48" long. They are placed in my current truck using a forklift with 42" long forks. This requires the pallet to be temporarily set down and at least partially supported by the tailgate before being slid further into the bed of the truck. With current truck tailgates this means much less than half of the pallet rests on the tailgate. On an R1T the pallet will be placed less than halfway beyond the beginning of the bed using the above numbers. It will actually be only ~33% resting on the actual truck bed. This will result in a large amount of weight being temporarily placed on the tailgate. My question is, will there be enough support provided by this gooseneck tailgate to prevent it from becoming damaged/bowed? I can't find it now, but I did see somewhere that it was rated to hold 1000lbs. Doesn't this seems less than ideal in this situation?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If you're regularly hauling 1,600 lbs in the bed then I'd say the R1T probably isn't the right truck.

The F150 Lightning might be a better fit for your use case.

roth_nj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Gladiator
Occupation
mechanical engineer
" The tailgate weight limit for both the R1T and R1S is 1000lbs "

i asked this in the CS chat. it looks like there is plenty of room in the bed but the tailgate would be my worry. i actually bent the inner tailgate brackets on the multipro tailgate on a sierra loading my quad. the inner one has a 350 lb weight limit that i didnt realize.

i asked CS previously more about loading a quad in the bed

OP
OP

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
If you're regularly hauling 1,600 lbs in the bed then I'd say the R1T probably isn't the right truck.

Not sure why people would want the R1T over the R1S unless you were going to utilize the bed for carrying things up to the payload limit of the truck. The bed is clearly designed to be large enough to carry things like a pallet, plywood or a quad.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not sure why people would want the R1T over the R1S unless you were going to utilize the bed for carrying things up to the payload limit of the truck. The bed is clearly designed to be large enough to carry things like a pallet, plywood or a quad.
I don't see why people would want the R1S over the R1T unless you NEED to fit 6-7 people.

I do a lot of projects and I miss having a truck. I tried downsizing to a SUV and a utility trailer, but it's a hassle. I don't think I've ever actually needed to "max out" the payload for any of my trucks (I've owned several) but I've definitely needed to haul a heck of a lot more than what can fit in a SUV.

In a pinch, I think the R1T can handle the occasional pallet. I'm just saying that the R1T probably isn't the best choice if that's your regular use case.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I don't see why people would want the R1S over the R1T unless you NEED to fit 6-7 people.

I do a lot of projects and I miss having a truck. I tried downsizing to a SUV and a utility trailer, but it's a hassle. I don't think I've ever actually needed to "max out" the payload for any of my trucks (I've owned several) but I've definitely needed to haul a heck of a lot more than what can fit in a SUV.

In a pinch, I think the R1T can handle the occasional pallet. I'm just saying that the R1T probably isn't the best choice if that's your regular use case.
We prefer the R1S because we travel with 2 dogs and the back seat of an extended cab pickup is just not enough room.

I can count the times I needed a truck bed on one hand in the last 10 years and was easily able to make do with a flatbed trailer for those very rare occasions.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What if I want to carry a cube of feathers 51"x54"x72"?

Nowhere near the payload of an R1T, so I should buy an R1S?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

So far almost every detail about the R1T has me super excited and I'm very likely to go forward with my purchase. I think I'm down to one detail that I really need to better understand that could end up being a deal breaker. The gooseneck tailgate extends about 30" beyond the end of the bed. The payload on the R1T is over 1,700 lbs. I would like to carry pallets with between 1,000 and 1,600 pounds frequently. I currently am limited to 900lbs as I drive a Tacoma. These pallets are generally 48" long. They are placed in my current truck using a forklift with 42" long forks. This requires the pallet to be temporarily set down and at least partially supported by the tailgate before being slid further into the bed of the truck. With current truck tailgates this means much less than half of the pallet rests on the tailgate. On an R1T the pallet will be placed less than halfway beyond the beginning of the bed using the above numbers. It will actually be only ~33% resting on the actual truck bed. This will result in a large amount of weight being temporarily placed on the tailgate. My question is, will there be enough support provided by this gooseneck tailgate to prevent it from becoming damaged/bowed? I can't find it now, but I did see somewhere that it was rated to hold 1000lbs. Doesn't this seems less than ideal in this situation?
Looked around and most manufacturers rate their tailgates at 500-1000lbs due to liability concerns, most won't even advertise the number I know it has been noted rivian said their capacity would be 1000lbs. If they are saying 1000, its safe to assume that's a conservative number. Short answer is, hope for the best, but don't go crazy

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Looked around and most manufacturers rate their tailgates at 500-1000lbs due to liability concerns, most won't even advertise the number I know it has been noted rivian said their capacity would be 1000lbs. If they are saying 1000, its safe to assume that's a conservative number. Short answer is, hope for the best, but don't go crazy

A bit confused, maybe someone can help me. The GVWR for the R1T is 8532lbs for the 135KWh battery. I'm guessing that number won't change with the max pack right.
So, is the rep saying the payload for the max pack is 1764lbs[my guess is without the offroad pkg]?
If so, the curb weight for the max pack is: 6768lbs and the large pack is: ~ 6132lbs [using MS 2170 batteries as ref]
Then, when someone is pulling 11000lbs, the tongue weight [15%] is ~1650lbs, then the difference is only 114lbs...
In short, does someone getting the max pack and towing 11klbs need to choose between bringing his wife, or adding skid plates to the truck?

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
A bit confused, maybe someone can help me. The GVWR for the R1T is 8532lbs for the 135KWh battery. I'm guessing that number won't change with the max pack right.
So, is the rep saying the payload for the max pack is 1764lbs[my guess is without the offroad pkg]?
If so, the curb weight for the max pack is: 6768lbs and the large pack is: ~ 6132lbs [using MS 2170 batteries as ref]
Then, when someone is pulling 11000lbs, the tongue weight [15%] is ~1650lbs, then the difference is only 114lbs...
In short, does someone getting the max pack and towing 11klbs need to choose between bringing his wife, or adding skid plates to the truck?
My wife won't let me use the skid plates anyway so the point becomes moot. (shhh... I'm getting them anyway)
@thedole I think you will be fine with the R1T if it's otherwise your preference to the Lightning. Keep in mind nothing is saying the F-150 tailgate has greater capacity, I understand it's not as long and will bear less weight. I would place a sheet of 3/4" plywood down under the pallet to spread the load and to help protect the bed from sliding such a heavy pallet and also favor the front of the forks to the greatest extent possible when loading/ unloading.

AdamsFan1983

First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Get a forklift with scissors. Problem solved

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

hamberderz

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X (2020), Toyota Tundra TRD Pro (2019)

The advertised max payload for F150 lightning is 2000 and 1800 depending on battery. R1T is 1760 so this isn't really a major difference.

I have been going back and fourth with my guide on this to get actual numbers but still nothing concrete. I actually had my guide change and am talking to my new guide today so I will ask again. That said, I have heard that payload will be the same regardless of pack, which would mean the GVWR would have to be increased accordingly. My previous guide did say they thought the same would be done for off-road package, but I am still waiting for confirmation there.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
The advertised max payload for F150 lightning is 2000 and 1800 depending on battery. R1T is 1760 so this isn't really a major difference.

I have been going back and fourth with my guide on this to get actual numbers but still nothing concrete. I actually had my guide change and am talking to my new guide today so I will ask again. That said, I have heard that payload will be the same regardless of pack, which would mean the GVWR would have to be increased accordingly. My previous guide did say they thought the same would be done for off-road package, but I am still waiting for confirmation there.
Yeah since the offroad package is an option, I don't think it'll be included in the payload, so it'll be great to see some concrete numbers.
Sponsored