Sponsored

Suggestions for a SUP and inflatable kayak mount for Rivian crossbars?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
We usually stay a week or two in Mammoth CA during the summer. Our usual routine is to wake up early, do some trout fishing at one of the local lakes, then take out the inflatable SUP for a few passes around the lake. This year I added an inflatable Kayak from Costco, because my 9 year doesn't have the greatest balance on the SUP. This will be our first year going up in the Rivian, thanks to Tesla charger access. I plan on driving up their with the racks, and bagged inflatables inside the Rivian and then inflate them once for the extent of the trip, so I'll need to be able shlep them from the AirBNB to the lake every day.

Any suggestions on which will be bolt up with the least effort and not cost the proverbial arm and leg. Probably only need them 2 trips per year.

Thanks..
Sponsored

tculpepp

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

If you aren't worried about security, some straps or rope will do the job just fine to keep them on the cross bars.

If security is a concern then Thule and several other manufacturers sell locking straps with a cable embedded.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So Rivian sells the Yakama Jaylows for the kayak... so a little FB marketplace searching and I found a brand new set still in the box for $100. Now for the SUP mounts.

S.Mueller

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Sierra 1500SLT, Ioniq5
Personally I wouldn’t trust a locking strap for a ISUP as all it would take to remove the board is to deflate it enough to pull it out of the straps.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I'd just deflate it. Here's a question though...has anyone found an adapter for our compressors to use on ISUPs? I have an iRocker and would love to use our compressor. My wife has the iRocker compressor, but would be cool if we could use the vehicles.

OP
OP
Killer95Stang

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'd just deflate it. Here's a question though...has anyone found an adapter for our compressors to use on ISUPs? I have an iRocker and would love to use our compressor. My wife has the iRocker compressor, but would be cool if we could use the vehicles.
Not sure if the Rivian compressor provides enough volume. I have compressor that came with the SUP that I plan on just plugging into the Rivians outlet.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Not sure if the Rivian compressor provides enough volume. I have compressor that came with the SUP that I plan on just plugging into the Rivians outlet.
Yeah, I think you're correct. I was just reading some reviews and someone said don't expect it to replace an actual SUP pump. I'll just plug in the iRocker one we got :)

tculpepp

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Personally I wouldn’t trust a locking strap for a ISUP as all it would take to remove the board is to deflate it enough to pull it out of the straps.
True. That takes out most add-on mounts too thought. The sup dawg that rivian sells for instance uses locking straps to hold the boards on.

Actually, I'm now interested to see if there are any sup mounts that don't use a locking strap.

Sponsored

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I have an ARB compressor on our gx470 to run the locking dif and inflate tires. That's the same exact unit Rivian uses. It would take a super long time to inflate our sup. Really not a good idea based on trying to inflate a mattress one time. It's just going to get hot.
Inflate it once and toss it on the roof for the trips to the lake. Don't drive fast and be careful of a ratchet strap hitting the glass roof or that's the end of that.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

I think you are supposed to use your children to operate the manual inflators. Some nonsense about character building.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
With our inflatable kayak we use a air mattress (heavier volume) inflator for the bulk of it and then a high pressure one (have to be careful though) for the last little bit to where it needs to be pressure-wise. The truck obviously has the high pressure one, but not good for high volume, as said by others above. Various battery tool manufacturers sell a two-in-one. I use the Ryobi one.

moondoggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, Mini
Don't drive fast and be careful of a ratchet strap hitting the glass roof or that's the end of that.
A little off topic but I’ve seen some posts about roof damage complaints, yet couldn’t find anything conclusive… Is the glass roof particularly fragile?

Baldewin

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
I went a different route than the mount for the crossbars that you asked about. The Loadd bed extender worked fine for us and plan to use it again this summer in Mammoth as well in the same manner that you describe.

Rivian R1T R1S Suggestions for a SUP and inflatable kayak mount for Rivian crossbars? IMG_5123
Sponsored