Sponsored

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'm really interested in your experience above. I've had a couple long tows from Monterey Bay to Tahoe this past summer and I used the Tow Mode. When I asked a Rivian Rep if I could use Conserve Mode, I was told by the Rep not to do it because the truck would not be as safe. I never used tow mode on my Ram 1500 because it used more gas. I recently asked a mobile technician and he didn't see an issue. What was the range difference you saw. I'm losing about 60% in tow mode.
I felt it was very safe. The truck still recognized it was towing a vehicle and at any significant stop, it asked me if I wanted to switch to towing mode. The trailer brakes were still active. I didn't track the range rate, but it was certainly better. I still stand by the feeling/stance that tow mode is not necessary unless inclement road/weather conditions call for 4WD.
Sponsored

Last edited:

kipevans22

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I felt it was very safe. The truck still recognized it was towing a vehicle and at any significant stop, it asked me if I wanted to switch to towing mode. The trailer brakes were still active. I didn't tract the range rate, but it was certainly better. I still stand by the feeling/stance that tow mode is not necessary unless inclement road/weather conditions call for 4WD.
Thanks! Makes sense to me. I'm going to give it a try this weekend!

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
And the answer is: what rivian has said all along! The 21s are ~4% more efficient than the 22s and ~12% more efficient than the 20s. This test was at highway speeds and should translate to about 12 and 32 miles less range for the 22s and 20s, respectively (starting from a rated highway range of 295mi).
Any guess on what the 20’s with bespoke aero wheel inserts might gain back? Also people have mentioned replacing the AT wheels with slightly smaller diameter road tires. I wonder what that would claw back as well. Any guesses?

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Seemed to be OK except for backing-up. I didn't have enough to torque to push the trailer and boat. For driving long distances on the freeway that won't matter.
How did it affect the range (or miles/kWhr), running in Conserve?

kipevans22

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
How did it affect the range (or miles/kWhr), running in Conserve?
I only drove around my neighborhood, but I did notice that the mileage didn't drop as much as it normally does in tow-mode. I report back when I do a longer trip.

McBogey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, A4, Q5
Clubs

Great thread here. But question about ride quality now: I’m at the Configurator stage of buying one and deciding between the 21 and 22s. (While I’d love to be that guy constantly off-roading to get to some good MTB trails, the reality is I’m on the road 99% of the time.) So has anyone ridden both and felt a difference?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Great thread here. But question about ride quality now: I’m at the Configurator stage of buying one and deciding between the 21 and 22s. (While I’d love to be that guy constantly off-roading to get to some good MTB trails, the reality is I’m on the road 99% of the time.) So has anyone ridden both and felt a difference?
21’s provide a wonderful quiet ride. Super impressed. 22’s are harder.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

21’s provide a wonderful quiet ride. Super impressed. 22’s are harder.
I had 20" ATs for 29k miles and just switched to 20" AS. It's much quieter, softer, and smoother. With 21" issues and price points, I highly suggest going 20", immediately switching to AS, and selling those tires.

Sponsored

LeftMySoulinNM

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I had 20" ATs for 29k miles and just switched to 20" AS. It's much quieter, softer, and smoother. With 21" issues and price points, I highly suggest going 20", immediately switching to AS, and selling those tires.
What tires did you purchase as a replacement to the AT’s?
Taking delivery next week and trying to decide if I should keep the stock AT’s as more of a winter or fun tire and try to find some rims to mount those on so I can swap myself when the time comes.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

LeftMySoulinNM

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Right. I don’t think I’m in until there are stock size available and swap can be truly 1:1 - ideally I’d love to have the AT’s as backup

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Right. I don’t think I’m in until there are stock size available and swap can be truly 1:1 - ideally I’d love to have the AT’s as backup
Michelin Defender comes in 275/65/20. Separate thread on that exists, search it.
Sponsored