First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
The team at Out of Spec has released another video, this time highlighting range and efficiency aspects for the three stock wheel options.

YT Link: Rivian R1T Consumption Test!

Sponsored

whyasky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
And the answer is: what rivian has said all along! The 21s are ~4% more efficient than the 22s and ~12% more efficient than the 20s. This test was at highway speeds and should translate to about 12 and 32 miles less range for the 22s and 20s, respectively (starting from a rated highway range of 295mi).

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

The team at Out of Spec has released another video, this time highlighting range and efficiency aspects for the three stock wheel options.

YT Link: Rivian R1T Consumption Test!

Watched this last night. It's still impressive to me Kyle was able to pretty much achieve the 316 miles in conserve on the 20's earlier this year.

OutofSpecKyle

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Winnebago Revel
Thanks for sharing! I’m happy with my 22’s. I think they look great and are the best option for styling / daily driving. I will also be going for an aggressive set of all-terrains on a smaller wheel for times when we go wheeling. But I like to swap wheels / tires for a specific purpose.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Watched this last night. It's still impressive to me Kyle was able to pretty much achieve the 316 miles in conserve on the 20's earlier this year.
Well, just over 290 actually. I'm confident I can achieve that in non-cold, relatively flat conditions as well, based on numerous trips, and that's close to sea level as well.

Drop to 65-70 and behind a big truck, and I've achieved 350 mile efficiency.

Sponsored

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
This video helped me change my config from 20 to 22 :)

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for sharing! I’m happy with my 22’s. I think they look great and are the best option for styling / daily driving. I will also be going for an aggressive set of all-terrains on a smaller wheel for times when we go wheeling. But I like to swap wheels / tires for a specific purpose.
Any chance for a test of 20's on some all seasons insted of the stock AT's?

EzMev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Old SUV
Helped me lock 22" wheels on my config...off-topic, but now my only conundrum is FE/BM :p

This video helped me change my config from 20 to 22 :)

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Helped me lock 22" wheels on my config...off-topic, but now my only conundrum is FE/BM :p
Mine is LE Launch Green exterior with FE interior

Last edited:

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Any chance for a test of 20's on some all seasons insted of the stock AT's?
What you are asking is really the only test I need to determine whether I lock in the 20's.

20's: Love the look after the 22's, forged wheel, and beefy tires with plenty of replacement options. Range hit kind of sucks though with the stock AT's.
21's: I want the range and have no issues powdering to get the look I want but no tire options makes that really hard to swallow.
22's: Love the look, range hit isn't terrible, but I'm concerned about the shorter sidewall and the potential of cracking the rims with my previous experience on 22's. Also don't think they'll be ideal for winter driving.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm new to EVs but does 10-20 extra miles matter that much? A couple of 0-60 runs will eat that up quickly.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'd like to see the 21 without the aero wheel covers compared to the 22 with all seasons tires.
I configured the R1S I have reserved with the 22s pretty happy to see a .1 mile per kWh difference Between the 21s with aero and the 22s.

BillyBob

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Traverse
Occupation
Just retired
Seeing this Video caused me to change from 20's to 22's. I don't think there will be much of an issue with the 1-2 snows a year we get in the Seattle area with those tires, and I don't foresee going off road much.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I have the 21s right now but I'll remove the aero caps right away. Really curious to see how that would compare to the 22s. I'd still lean to the 21s due to ride quality, but I prob need to test the 22s to see the difference.
Sponsored