First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
Greetings all. Backstory, since day 1 my R1S alignment has been wrong. Pulls to the right. Finally 10K miles later, I got it aligned. Then I had to replace the two front tires 22'. $1200 bill of joy for those Pirelli Scorpions.
Ever since I got the SUV back, when I accelerate to between 75-85 mph on the freeway I get significant 11-1 pm shakes of the steering wheel. After a few moments it dissipates but comes back out of the blue. I'm due for a service appt at El Segundo on Wed, but when I called to add this to my list of services, the rep told me he has to connect with the service department and find out, if this issue can be addressed at my Wed service appt.
Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Also, bigger picture thought: Service experiences while few and far between are uneven. Once I get there, service is great. Trying to get an appointment is starting to become a hassle. Typically being pushed 1+ months out. Not cool. Coming from BMW's and Tesla, I don't like that.
A seed of sell this is taking root in my mind. Anyone have any other thoughts or sharing their experiences?
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Countdown to all the posts about how every other manufacturer takes forever to schedule service and that we are all early adopters in 5....4....3....2......

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
Countdown to all the posts about how every other manufacturer takes forever to schedule service and that we are all early adopters in 5....4....3....2......
Actually, I'm disappointed in Rivian service. My other experiences are far better than with Rivian. BMW got me in promptly. Had a BMW loaner for me and got my car back in a prompt manner. Rivian is nothing like that so far.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Actually, I'm disappointed in Rivian service. My other experiences are far better than with Rivian. BMW got me in promptly. Had a BMW loaner for me and got my car back in a prompt manner. Rivian is nothing like that so far.
Me, too. But everytime I bring it up, I get hammered by Rivian sympathizers.....I just like to say it like I see it hoping it leads to improvement....

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I think it's the tires. Had 21s no issues. Put 20s on for offroad activities and get as described. They have been balanced twice. Overall it's not terrible but there. So it isn't the truck.

Sponsored

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
I think it's the tires. Had 21s no issues. Put 20s on for offroad activities and get as described. They have been balanced twice. Overall it's not terrible but there. So it isn't the truck.
Could be. Strange though. Tires were bought at Rivian. Wouldn't they make sure they were mounted and balanced properly??? sounds kind of basic? Not sure I don't know squat about these vehicles

junkanoo

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Suburu Outback, R1S
Occupation
Supply Chain Planning
Greetings all. Backstory, since day 1 my R1S alignment has been wrong. Pulls to the right. Finally 10K miles later, I got it aligned. Then I had to replace the two front tires 22'. $1200 bill of joy for those Pirelli Scorpions.
Ever since I got the SUV back, when I accelerate to between 75-85 mph on the freeway I get significant 11-1 pm shakes of the steering wheel. After a few moments it dissipates but comes back out of the blue. I'm due for a service appt at El Segundo on Wed, but when I called to add this to my list of services, the rep told me he has to connect with the service department and find out, if this issue can be addressed at my Wed service appt.
Anyone have any idea what this could be?
Are you sure the shaking isn't caused because you might be over the highway lines? You *might* have that option on for Rivian to give you steering wheel feedback (i.e., vibration) to a line violation.

The only reason I ask this is ... one would think that if the steering/alignment is off at higher speeds on the same road, it would be a constant thing versus being variable as you described.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Mine did the same. Also have the 22's. It went in for service twice for them to do an alignment as well as tire balance and rotation. They finally fixed it and the shaking is so much better if not non-existent. One thing they did mention is that Rivian's steering wheels are too light and the next round will be designed much heavier - apparently this is an issue that contributes to some of the shaking, but this is mostly an alignment/tire balance issue that they should be able to fix.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
Mine did the same. Also have the 22's. It went in for service twice for them to do an alignment as well as tire balance and rotation. They finally fixed it and the shaking is so much better if not non-existent. One thing they did mention is that Rivian's steering wheels are too light and the next round will be designed much heavier - apparently this is an issue that contributes to some of the shaking, but this is mostly an alignment/tire balance issue that they should be able to fix.
thank you for sharing your experience. I totally agree on the steering. My wife's model Y performance has much better "feel" when driving. Rivian feels like if I sneeze I'll crash the car.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
This has been brought up before I think, and it seems the root cause are the inconsistencies in the tires.

Getting “Road Force Balancing” done at America’s Tires/Discount Tires near you will most likely fix the shakes.

It cost me $120 or so and fixed mine

Sponsored

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

I've had a similar issue. Really bad at 70+mph. Rivian service center rebalanced tires early in the my ownership which was a moderate improvement, however once I got the tires rotated it came back. Brought back to Rivian and was told it's normal.

Going to Discount tire today to have road force balancing done and see if that helps as others have said it did.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

100% a tire balance issue. When tires are out of balance they do this, in fact my first set of replacement 20s did this between 70-75 mph and by the time Rivian finally got it in for service they told me it was because their was feathering on my tires and they needed to be replaced. I carefully explained that they did this from day 1 when they were new and then it was something about mud/dirt on the rim.

Regardless insist that they fix it but probably they need a road force balance and not all of the SC locations can do that.

OP
OP

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self Storage
I've had a similar issue. Really bad at 70+mph. Rivian service center rebalanced tires early in the my ownership which was a moderate improvement, however once I got the tires rotated it came back. Brought back to Rivian and was told it's normal.

Going to Discount tire today to have road force balancing done and see if that helps as others have said it did.
That sucks, why do we have to pay out of pocket to have a problem fixed especially under warranty?

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

That sucks, why do we have to pay out of pocket to have a problem fixed especially under warranty?
There is no good reason, other than a lack of other solutions. I love the truck but the service has been hit and miss.

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If you brought it to Rivian, they could possibly get it balanced for you. But, for me, paying and getting it done now and not having to wait for a SC appt was most worth it
Sponsored